Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2012, 03:19 PM

24,130 posts, read 32,536,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzii View Post
Hey everyone, any thoughts on Russell sage college, for psychology and education. My guidance counselor recommended me for something that could give me 20k to attend but the size of the school is throwing me off a bit. i will visit buy if anyone has any info i'd lovr to know
Russel Sage is an all women's college and part of the Sage Colleges. They have a decent Psychology and Education. The other Sage Colleges are co-educational.

How is giving you 20K to attend throwing you off? They are pretty well endowed, and you are a good student! Sounds like a good thing to me!

Let us know how you liked it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2012, 07:32 AM

919 posts, read 1,692,277 times
The 20k isn't throwing me off. Te size of the school is. I visited the college of saint rose and didn't like it because of the size. It felt like a high school to me and from what I've heard sage is smaller. Also not cray about the all women's part of it. Size of campus is important to me and a biggish number of students is important. I mean my high school has 4 thousand kids.

Old 03-19-2012, 07:34 AM

919 posts, read 1,692,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Jazzli, I already told you about all of these schools, remember?

You mentioned that you wanted a college with a Latino presence. See I remember you, Bronx girl right?

Try Mercy College, in Dobbs Ferry. It's diverse, and it has your major.
www.mercy.edu 32% Hispanic 29% African America 27% white 2% Asian
Pretty good mix.

By contrast -
Manhattan College is a little pseudo-preppy, suburban. 12% Hispanic 68% white 3% African American 3 % Asian

Oh I remeber. I'm sorry I just looke back I'm terrible at remembering names xp

Old 03-19-2012, 12:26 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,239,344 times
It's a different experience but I wouldn't discount it

Socially, you'll have to look beyond Russell Sage - which is a small, womens school

However, it's less than a mile from male heavy RPI (72% of undergrads are male) ... from the guys I know who went to RPI, there is a definite social link to Russell Sage

You are also about 15 minutes from Siena and 25 from SUNY Albany - both really close and fairly balanced

While a school may be small - don't think it will be anything like HS

Students are paying to be there (often large sums of money), they are typically a little more motivated and your student/teacher ratios should be good

Places like Russell Sage are heavy residential schools that provide a very distinct learning environment - you'll know your classmates, you'll know your professors

It's a good school, they have a strong internship program and push study abroad (or other travel study) .... they also push residential living

Definitely visit with your eyes open ..... get a feel for the students, how they interact, how they live, etc.

I would hesitate to look at it through your current eyes ....... you're going to change a lot over the next few years and what you desire from a place is going to change .... I ruled out some very good schools using my HS student bias and honestly regret not being more open minded back then

It sounds like they are offering a good aid package, they have a very nice campus and some excellent facilities (that you'll actually be able to take advantage of being a smaller school)

Try not to get caught up on size as much as what is offered and how it's offered - it may be different than what you are used to, but you may end up liking it a lot more - you just don't realize it yet

Old 03-19-2012, 12:44 PM

3,734 posts, read 4,550,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raviel de Silverlake View Post
So I got accepted by 3 school. Baruch College, NYIT and PACE University. All of them are in NY as my goal is to live in NY.

Note: I'm an International applicant from South East Asia.

I want to ask if there's anyone familiar with those 3. I planned to study bachelor for international business affair. I haven't decide which marjor I'd go yet. Struggling between marketing and management. Obviously, tuition fee would be a problem, but not really huge. Baruch ranked #24, PACE ranked #170 and NYIT ranked #68 according to USNews.

Back in my time, I studied in public school, private school and huge intuition private insititute already so I kinda know well enough about the difference study atmosphere.

It seems Baruch would be the best choice because of its rank. But again, it's a public school. I may know about the different in my country but I don't know about US.

Which school would be a better choice for me? In term of good academic course, internship, and the chance to get a job after I graduate (of course this depends on my luck and my grade. But...)? And for this kind of major, should I study higher to master or bachelor and go get a job, have some experience for resume and then take a part time master?
Congratulations on your acceptances. What degree are you aiming for...bachelor's or master's?

Of the three schools you mentioned, Baruch offers the best quality of education and the lowest tuition. It has a very good reputation in the northeast. Their most sought after graduates are in accounting. I don't think much recruitment by big companies goes on at Baruch in other concentrations, however. You are expected to use alumni connections, make connections through internships, or use their internal jobs website to find work.

I would suggest you call the office of the dean for academic advisement to find out more about internships and job placement rates.

Old 03-20-2012, 12:29 AM

24,130 posts, read 32,536,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
It's a different experience but I wouldn't discount it

Socially, you'll have to look beyond Russell Sage - which is a small, womens school

However, it's less than a mile from male heavy RPI (72% of undergrads are male) ... from the guys I know who went to RPI, there is a definite social link to Russell Sage

You are also about 15 minutes from Siena and 25 from SUNY Albany - both really close and fairly balanced

While a school may be small - don't think it will be anything like HS

Students are paying to be there (often large sums of money), they are typically a little more motivated and your student/teacher ratios should be good

Places like Russell Sage are heavy residential schools that provide a very distinct learning environment - you'll know your classmates, you'll know your professors

It's a good school, they have a strong internship program and push study abroad (or other travel study) .... they also push residential living

Definitely visit with your eyes open ..... get a feel for the students, how they interact, how they live, etc.

I would hesitate to look at it through your current eyes ....... you're going to change a lot over the next few years and what you desire from a place is going to change .... I ruled out some very good schools using my HS student bias and honestly regret not being more open minded back then

It sounds like they are offering a good aid package, they have a very nice campus and some excellent facilities (that you'll actually be able to take advantage of being a smaller school)

Try not to get caught up on size as much as what is offered and how it's offered - it may be different than what you are used to, but you may end up liking it a lot more - you just don't realize it yet

I agree with you. St. Rose is not in the same class as Russel Sage. My own preference is for residential colleges, that force you to reach a bit out of your comfort zone and to meet and live with people who share more than a place of residence or ethnicity.

R.P.I is a very good college and while I know that you are from NYC, Russel Sage is not in the woods. If another college gives you a great financial aid package - take it.

The other's that you mentioned are hurting for students. At least R.S. is in a vibrant urban area.

Also, originally you wanted a college that was not religious. St. Rose, in it's hey day which was well before my time was a commuter school of no real academic significance.

Russel Sage is a solid school.

Old 03-21-2012, 03:26 AM

49 posts, read 100,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie1249 View Post
Congratulations on your acceptances. What degree are you aiming for...bachelor's or master's?

Of the three schools you mentioned, Baruch offers the best quality of education and the lowest tuition. It has a very good reputation in the northeast. Their most sought after graduates are in accounting. I don't think much recruitment by big companies goes on at Baruch in other concentrations, however. You are expected to use alumni connections, make connections through internships, or use their internal jobs website to find work.

I would suggest you call the office of the dean for academic advisement to find out more about internships and job placement rates.
Thank you for your response. I also did some more researches, turn out Baruch is like a miracle in real life because of the low tuition and high ranking.

Now I planned to take double major. Of course, job these days require good grade, good connection, but the information about accounting after graduates is really valuable for a head start.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 03-21-2012 at 06:06 AM.. Reason: fixed typo

Old 03-21-2012, 12:02 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,123,905 times
Does an 80% acceptance rate mean anyone can get in?

Old 03-21-2012, 09:46 PM

1,654 posts, read 7,351,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
Pretty much.

Old 03-23-2012, 03:18 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,256,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
For the most part, but it doesn't mean that everyone who was accepted will attend. Colleges use algorithms based on the historical number of students who accept their offer and matriculate. So, they know how many spots need to be filled, how many students accept offers, and use that information to decide how many applicants need to be accepted for that particular admission cycle.

However, an 80% acceptance rate does not mean that 100% of those students will actually matriculate. Schools with high acceptance rates are sometimes what can be considered safety schools. Meaning, students are more-than-likely going to attend any other institution they are accepted into. Out of that 80%, maybe around 20% will actually accept an offer.

It could also mean that the particular college simply receives fewer applicants, but is in general an all-around good school.

What you need to do is look at the statistics for incoming freshmen (SAT/ACT, GPA, etc.).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities