Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2018, 07:56 AM

183 posts, read 286,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by donjulio2018 View Post
... We can cash in and sell our home in the Northeast and basically pay "cash" for a nice home in the Brunswick County are (which we visited last year), and still walk out with a couple of $100K in our pocket...
If you can swing it by downscaling your expections, then get a nice but more modest place in Brunswick Cty, plus a small place that you can escape to in New England, away from the NE coast, where prices are high.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2018, 08:10 AM

327 posts, read 602,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donjulio2018 View Post
Is the humidiy and hot weather really that bad down there?.
Yes, unfortunately it is. Heat indexes can get up to 110 degrees and you will break a sweat the minute you walk outside. You just have to get used to it.

Old 03-10-2018, 08:35 AM

34 posts, read 55,703 times
BC, beer belly, goldenage 1, I apreciate your feedback. All valid points and good suggestions.

Yikes!! dew point...that is something to consider, but as beer belly says, better indoors with A/C than indoors with furnace blasting and having to wear heavy coats to go outside, and lets not forget the shoveling of the snow and scrapping the ice from the windshield of your car in the zero degree temp. It sucks!

My wife reads a lot, so in the very hot days she could be inside. On the other hand, we love to walk and normally we walk daily at least 45 minutes, so maybe we could do it in the early hours of the day. In any case, my goal is to retire at the end of 2019. Re-visit the area of Sunset Beach, Calabash and surroundings in the summer months to get a good feeling of what to expect. Then, perhaps we could find a place to rent (short term lease) to spend a few weeks and really get a taste of Coastal Living. We would not sell our home in the Northeast until being 100% sure that moving South is what we want and won't regreat it few months later. I can tell you one thing... give me a a beautiful beach for long, long walks along the shoreline, breathing the air..., to hop on a boat for a fishing trip, then going to dinner for some delicious seafood at one of the fine Calabash restaurants,...folks, for me that is what life is all about. I don't need fancy cars, fancy Mcmansions, expensive trips overseas, none of that crappola. Just doing what gives me pleasure in the good old USA. Cheers!

Old 03-13-2018, 12:25 PM

2,706 posts, read 3,374,764 times
We may also consider North Myrtle Beach and Little River in SC....not far from my family in Calabash and Sunset Beach, and I think the state is a little better in taxing SS and Pensions....not sure, but my brother brought us to Captain Archie and Snooky's for some food, and had a blast....I think they were both in SC

Old 11-10-2018, 06:12 PM

96 posts, read 433,469 times
Default The weather is so much better than NY and NJ

We retired 10 years ago and our first place was on North Topsail Beach. We have many pictures with the grandkids on the beach with no coats or sweaters with temps in the high 60,s low 70,s. We did have cold days in the 30-40 but rarely had more than 3 days in a row when it was below freezing. We do get snow and have ice storms and schools are cancelled usually the day before in anticipation. It feels like winter in January,February and March and by April we are back in the 70’s. Some years we start getting temperatures in the high 80,s starting in May and still have days in the 80’s in October which means way more opportunities to do things outside in comfortable weather. All I can say is the weather is a lot less gloomy than the long,cold,sunless days in NY.

Old 09-06-2019, 07:14 AM

58 posts, read 135,493 times
we are strongly considering buying in the historic area, want to be close to town and the boardwalk.I figure if an older house has survived many storms, it'd be a safe bet. The heat in the South is pervasive, Im near Atlanta now,It is sweaty but tolerable and a good air cionditioner is a wonderful thing.

Old 06-13-2020, 08:59 AM

1,013 posts, read 724,244 times
Wow, 9+ inches of rain yesterday.

Old 06-25-2023, 09:18 AM

159 posts, read 187,990 times
I realize this post is old but I have a question. Is your weather dreary when it rains or blue skies, clouds? Does it rain all day normally? I watch your weather daily and see alot of rain. I like sunshine too!! Lol!!
I'm doing a lot of research before we make the decision to relocate.
Here in E TN we can get 4 dreary, gray sky rainy days. Soggy mess!
Thank you

Old 06-25-2023, 10:50 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
While it rains frequently here, it rarely lasts long. I do not consider it dreary.

I think the problem with Tennessee it that the mountains trap rain clouds and hold them longer.

However, you should be aware that tropical storms and hurricanes hit ENC at least every other year. We have power outages and downed trees. Your hurricane insurance will probably cost more than your property tax. It is worth having a generator.

Last edited by goldenage1; 06-25-2023 at 11:12 AM..

Old 06-25-2023, 07:49 PM

159 posts, read 187,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
While it rains frequently here, it rarely lasts long. I do not consider it dreary.

I think the problem with Tennessee it that the mountains trap rain clouds and hold them longer.

However, you should be aware that tropical storms and hurricanes hit ENC at least every other year. We have power outages and downed trees. Your hurricane insurance will probably cost more than your property tax. It is worth having a generator.
So hurricane insurance Is necessary. Good to know. $200 a month?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina