Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 12:26 PM

8,377 posts, read 4,359,448 times

Advertisements

One "drought", as you call it, does not make all I wrote false. As a comment on the general nature of weather in NC I believe what I wrote to be accurate. If you are looking for an argument, look elsewhere. I have no interest in debating temporary anomalies specifically after I clearly stated "There are extremes:"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2015, 05:04 PM

99 posts, read 243,309 times
Good exchange. Well put ditchoc " beautiful and fascinating" is how we have found NC since moving here from RI in Sept. We are in Brunswick County between Wilmington and Myrtle Beach, we feel close enough to shopping, medical facilities and the beach. There are a number of very nice amenity communities here in SE Brunswick County. We expect to move into our new home in about five weeks.

Old 01-20-2015, 10:18 AM

605 posts, read 1,258,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastal1006 View Post
Good exchange. Well put ditchoc " beautiful and fascinating" is how we have found NC since moving here from RI in Sept. We are in Brunswick County between Wilmington and Myrtle Beach, we feel close enough to shopping, medical facilities and the beach. There are a number of very nice amenity communities here in SE Brunswick County. We expect to move into our new home in about five weeks.
Coastal: what plantation are you in???

Old 01-20-2015, 10:48 AM

3,082 posts, read 4,852,030 times
The general rule of thumb in ENC is that "when it rains, it pours".

It's somewhat tropical in nature in that way. So even though the rainfall totals may be high, it doesn't mean there is a ton of cloudy days. In the summertime, it can be nice all day long but we get an inch of rain because it rained hard for a half hour or so. Then there are the tropical systems that come in and can dump a ton in a just a few days. Its usually very pretty for awhile after those systems come through.

The winter time is the wettest, IMO...but what is great about the winter in ENC is that you will have a day or so almost every week that it feels like Spring...no matter the month. On Christmas Day in Wilmington it hit 70 this year.

Old 01-21-2015, 08:40 AM

99 posts, read 243,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missynancy View Post
Coastal: what plantation are you in???
WRP. We will be almost neighbors. Another beach day today

Old 01-21-2015, 05:39 PM

2,706 posts, read 3,374,764 times
Quote:

Old 01-22-2015, 06:43 AM

605 posts, read 1,258,339 times
Quote:

oh, that's right!!! I remember now!!! Best wishes from South Jersey!! Rec'd two inches of snow yesterday.

Old 01-22-2015, 11:24 AM

1,681 posts, read 6,027,532 times
Threads like this can be very disconcerting. Well intended or not, information can be given with a lot of conviction and authority and be just plain ol' wrong.
Coastal NC is different from any other part of NC. For the most part just drive a few miles inland and everything will change. Coastal NC is warmer in the fall and cooler in the summer than inland. Winter precipitation is not much. Snow is rare. Summertime you just have to be aware of the potential of an afternoon thunder shower blowing through (Literally blowing through at 30-40 mph!).
Winter temps are generally 40's-60's. February is the coldest month.
Summertime rarely makes it out of the 80's on the coast. The ocean breeze and water temperatures can keep the coast 5-10-15 degrees cooler than inland.
I would recommend going to the tourism sites for each area along the coast. all the areas like Hatteras, Crystal Coast, Wilmington will have the info you are looking for at their sites. If not just give them a call. The National Weather Service has a wonderful facility in Newport. Visit their site for detailed info.
By the way-I've made the Crystal Coast home for 33 years now. I've never regretted it.
God Bless!
Bill

Old 02-06-2015, 02:09 PM

6 posts, read 32,021 times
I think you're overthinking this move... Coming from NH myself and being south of Wilmington now since Oct, I am quite happy with the weather and the lack of snow here - Glad we jumped in to make this move when we did. We too were measuring every aspect of the move - but at some point - you have to jump in... Try it, I guarantee you'll like it - We're not looking back!

Old 02-16-2015, 06:42 PM

11 posts, read 83,411 times
Well, we are actually visiting Swansboro, NC as I write this. Decided to drive down from NH to check out this area and get away from the brutally bitter cold New England weather. Except we hit NC and lo and behold they are experiencing quite a bit of cold themselves. But this "cold" weather is extremely unusual, the locals informed us. Typical day February weather, at the very worst, is in the 40s. By the way, we checked out the Sneads Ferry and Beaufort communities. Profoundly disappointed! Not areas we would consider at all. Did love Emerald Isle and Swanboro ... and we will also be exploring Calabash and Carolina Shores later this week. We understand their weather is considerably milder, so we'll see how the rest of our week goes. And now we do understand the "rain issue" is nowhere near as bad as we originally thought. NC is really looking like a very nice place to retire and enjoy life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina