Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which region is more culturally aligned with Los Angeles?
The southern part of Orange County 13 38.24%
Inland Empire 21 61.76%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2022, 10:12 PM

613 posts, read 328,147 times

Advertisements

Last thread of the night.

SOUTH Orange County (Irvine, Newport Beach, San Clemente, touches the coast like Los Angeles, San Diego influences? Despite LA being a behemoth it is close to SD) vs Inland Empire (Riverside, San Bernardino, LA's eastern exurbs)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2022, 12:33 AM

4,212 posts, read 3,299,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illadelph73 View Post
Last thread of the night.

SOUTH Orange County (Irvine, Newport Beach, San Clemente, touches the coast like Los Angeles, San Diego influences? Despite LA being a behemoth it is close to SD) vs Inland Empire (Riverside, San Bernardino, LA's eastern exurbs)
San Clemente, and to a lesser extent Newport exist in a gray area where it is not immediately obvious whether they are in the orbit of San Diego or Los Angeles (though both are counted in L.A. metro area). Irvine is more decisively in L.A.'s solar system, but culturally aligned? Hard to say.

Inland Empire residents will more quickly identify as "L.A.", but that doesn't count for anything.

Ultimately I did vote for the Inland Empire based on their early rise to prominence with the L.A. basin for agriculture. I wouldn't say a vote for OC is wrong though.

Old 12-06-2022, 11:02 AM

613 posts, read 328,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
San Clemente, and to a lesser extent Newport exist in a gray area where it is not immediately obvious whether they are in the orbit of San Diego or Los Angeles (though both are counted in L.A. metro area). Irvine is more decisively in L.A.'s solar system, but culturally aligned? Hard to say.

Inland Empire residents will more quickly identify as "L.A.", but that doesn't count for anything.

Ultimately I did vote for the Inland Empire based on their early rise to prominence with the L.A. basin for agriculture. I wouldn't say a vote for OC is wrong though.
I only used South OC because I figured the Northern part would have enough connections to LA while being coastal for it to be a blowout win for the OC

Old 12-06-2022, 11:20 AM

376 posts, read 210,379 times
Quote:

Inland Empire residents do not "identify" as "L.A" as you put it, if anything more California or Socal. Most IE residents are from LA anyway?
Also what makes you the authority on "what counts for anything"? If a resident/native stakes a claim on something who are you to dispute that?

Old 12-06-2022, 11:43 AM

5,003 posts, read 5,985,076 times
The IE for sure. Many or most IE residents moved there from LA or are one generation removed. Many or most still have family or friends in LA.

I feel like OC residents are much more detached from LA and have fewer ties. OC in general and the 949 especially go out of their way to avoid any LA connection.

Old 12-06-2022, 11:43 AM

12,169 posts, read 8,021,713 times
Everyone I meet from OC makes it appoint to tell me, not LA.

Inland Empire Ive heard people say "Like LA!"

Old 12-06-2022, 11:48 AM

7,411 posts, read 6,556,774 times
These really are a couple of extreme examples….South Orange County is where the previous white flighters fled even further south. Many of these same types often told me when I lived there that “we’re not LA” and claimed superiority to it and despised LA (them, not me and/or they suddenly love LA temporarily when boosting a CD thread that supports their position). Irvine is somewhat of an exception with Persian and Asian communities.

Inland Empire is more blue collar and definitely more conservative than most of LA even though Democrats have made some recent gains (mostly from newer residents).

Last edited by elchevere; 12-06-2022 at 12:04 PM..

Old 12-06-2022, 12:16 PM

8,353 posts, read 5,507,167 times
The IE. Southern OC is more like San Diego.

Old 12-06-2022, 03:34 PM

4,212 posts, read 3,299,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dw572 View Post
Inland Empire residents do not "identify" as "L.A" as you put it, if anything more California or Socal. Most IE residents are from LA anyway?
Also what makes you the authority on "what counts for anything"? If a resident/native stakes a claim on something who are you to dispute that?
I wouldn't give weight to either scenario pointed out in this thread- that south OC residents would be less likely to associate with L.A. or that IE residents would be more likely. If we were talking about smaller cities I might, but that's not the case.

Since the IE's biggest population boom (1960-1990) happened concurrently with L.A.'s population booming, I'm not sure its the case that the majority of IE residents migrated there from L.A.

I voted based on historical connections, which I feel are stronger with the Inland Empire (Irvine was only recently incorporated as a city), but tbh this is a toss up and could go either way.

Old 12-06-2022, 06:45 PM

376 posts, read 210,379 times
Quote:
I wouldn't give weight to either scenario pointed out in this thread- that south OC residents would be less likely to associate with L.A. or that IE residents would be more likely. If we were talking about smaller cities I might, but that's not the case.

Since the IE's biggest population boom (1960-1990) happened concurrently with L.A.'s population booming, I'm not sure its the case that the majority of IE residents migrated there from L.A.

I voted based on historical connections, which I feel are stronger with the Inland Empire (Irvine was only recently incorporated as a city), but tbh this is a toss up and could go either way.

Imo most of Southern California is similar culturally. It also depends more on income bracket rather than physical location. People of the more blue or white collar background will have more in common with one another more than where they live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City