Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which region is more culturally aligned with NYC
Western New York (Buffalo, Niagara Falls, Rochester) 4 5.71%
Delaware Valley (Philadelphia) 66 94.29%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2022, 03:31 PM

817 posts, read 637,866 times

Advertisements

Western New York has Buffalo-Niagara Falls and Rochester, they share the same state as NYC. The Delaware Valley has Philadelphia, a major city that's close to NYC and many people from NYC move there. Which of these regions are more culturally aligned with NYC, your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2022, 04:00 PM

12,227 posts, read 8,136,657 times
Philadelphia no doubt.

Same attitudes
Similar environments
Grimier Cities/Street Smarts
Goes to the Shore

Old 11-30-2022, 05:37 PM

9 posts, read 6,339 times
I don't think the Delaware Valley and most specifically Philadelphia while very close in distance, couldn't be any further apart culturally. Having grew up my entire life in NYC until my 20's and moving to Philadelphia for 11 years, I always saw two distinct cultures between both places. I think there is a natural divide when it comes to NYC and Phila. Technically speaking, from the most northern border of Philadelphia to the southern most border of NYC, it's only about 60 miles apart which is about an hour or so drive.

I found that everything was different, from the accents, to the food choices, to the dress. Philadelphia takes pride in their culture and doesn't want to fall within the grasp of NYC culture.

I think the sports rivalries between NYC and Philadelphia is a big factor. There has always been a Ohio St vs Michigan type hatred between the Giants and Eagles, the Rangers and Flyers.

Also New Jersey plays a factor as New Jersey has always been like the innocent child caught in between a bad divorce. South Jersey being pulled by Philadelphia and North Jersey being pulled by NYC

Because of the close proximity between the two cities, they share a lot of aspects of the region, i.e (NJ Turnpike, Jersey Shore, commuter rail, the Poconos and other weekend getaway spots.

NYC and Philadelphia are more like siblings that fight all the time and want to be identified by themselves.

Old 11-30-2022, 11:23 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,233,579 times
Philly is definitely a distinct region separate from NYC, but it is much closer to NYC, physically and culturally than Buffalo. State lines are mostly just artificial boundaries. It’s the only thing that NYC has in common with Buffalo.

There is a bit of an overlap in parts of NJ with NYC/Philly, and even a direct connection with both metro’s public transit systems. I don’t think this happens anywhere else in the US except Baltimore/DC.

Old 12-01-2022, 12:40 AM

82 posts, read 53,532 times
Delaware Valley easily. West New York has more in common with Cleveland than it has with NYC. Philly and New York are the closest major cities in the US outside of Washington and Baltimore and there is massive overlap between the 2 even though they are culturally distinct.

Old 12-01-2022, 12:49 AM

10,041 posts, read 5,751,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JahshimR View Post
I don't think the Delaware Valley and most specifically Philadelphia while very close in distance, couldn't be any further apart culturally. Having grew up my entire life in NYC until my 20's and moving to Philadelphia for 11 years, I always saw two distinct cultures between both places. I think there is a natural divide when it comes to NYC and Phila. Technically speaking, from the most northern border of Philadelphia to the southern most border of NYC, it's only about 60 miles apart which is about an hour or so drive.

I found that everything was different, from the accents, to the food choices, to the dress. Philadelphia takes pride in their culture and doesn't want to fall within the grasp of NYC culture.

I think the sports rivalries between NYC and Philadelphia is a big factor. There has always been a Ohio St vs Michigan type hatred between the Giants and Eagles, the Rangers and Flyers.

Also New Jersey plays a factor as New Jersey has always been like the innocent child caught in between a bad divorce. South Jersey being pulled by Philadelphia and North Jersey being pulled by NYC

Because of the close proximity between the two cities, they share a lot of aspects of the region, i.e (NJ Turnpike, Jersey Shore, commuter rail, the Poconos and other weekend getaway spots.

NYC and Philadelphia are more like siblings that fight all the time and want to be identified by themselves.
Now try the same comparison between NYC and Buffalo. If NYC and Philly are like fighting siblings, Buffalo is like the quiet, occasionally-visiting cousin who can't work out and doesn't really care what his two loudmouth sibling cousins are fighting about.

Old 12-01-2022, 05:54 AM

7,302 posts, read 10,650,192 times
Is this even objectively a debate?

As a native Philly metro-ite, I'm the first to acknowledge the distinction between it and the NYC area, but--as the prior poster phrased it--it's the relative difference that really doesn't make this a remotely close comparison.

Buffalo typifies the "Rust Belt" interior Northeast/Great Lakes. Philadelphia and New York both comprise the core of the Northeast Corridor.

I think that's all that needs to be said.

Old 12-01-2022, 07:27 AM

12,926 posts, read 9,678,927 times
Who voted for western NY? Probably a Philly hater. AS someone not from the northeast, Philly to me is NYC lite.

Old 12-01-2022, 08:18 AM

9,419 posts, read 9,408,836 times
I grew up in the Philadelphia area and live in NYC now. Both are independent and culturally unique regions, but there are naturally similarities and overlap between them since they are geographically close and grew up together.

The siblings analogy was good, and NJ is intertwined in all of that.

Old 12-01-2022, 08:22 AM

990 posts, read 740,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoYanksGiantsNets View Post
Delaware Valley easily. West New York has more in common with Cleveland than it has with NYC. Philly and New York are the closest major cities in the US outside of Washington and Baltimore and there is massive overlap between the 2 even though they are culturally distinct.
Yes, this. Buffalo shares a license plate with NYC, that's about it. There are probably 10 metro areas more linked to NYC than Buffalo. Not that I think Philly is necessarily connected in any way outside of physical distance, but at least they share the Acela, the Northeast Corridor, the state of NJ and a few sports rivalries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City