Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2010, 01:49 PM

94 posts, read 240,137 times

Advertisements

Hi, my house is in the Madison Place Subdivision of Madisonville.
So, technically if I sell it, I could list it under either name. Seems like Madisonville has the "bad" name. Madison Place is usually talked about as being nicer (even though some of it is technically IN Madisonville like my house).
Here's my thing. Madison Place is a very small piece of the area. So, I'd think it would get less hits if people were looking. When looking at comparables that are on the market now, most of the houses are listed as Madisonville. My house would "fit" price wise in the middle of comparable houses/square footage etc. Under "madison place" it would be priced near the top of the others listed.

What should I list it under?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2010, 06:20 AM

279 posts, read 717,744 times
I say Madisonville, but I am biased because I bought my house there a year ago. To be honest, I hadn't even heard of Madison Place until the realtor I used showed me a house there and explained how its just a little subdivision of Madisonville. Yeah, Madisonville does have a bad reputation, but good people are moving in and trying to fix parts up. Prospective homebuyers who go check the right areas out will know this - it smacked me upside the face when I checked out my house for the first time.

Old 03-30-2010, 06:39 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,794,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubby513 View Post
I say Madisonville, but I am biased because I bought my house there a year ago. To be honest, I hadn't even heard of Madison Place until the realtor I used showed me a house there and explained how its just a little subdivision of Madisonville. Yeah, Madisonville does have a bad reputation, but good people are moving in and trying to fix parts up. Prospective homebuyers who go check the right areas out will know this - it smacked me upside the face when I checked out my house for the first time.
I sure hope Madisonville makes a comeback, it has been depressed for far too long. When I was a youth in Madeira, Madisonville was where we went to shop. Then suddenly it seemed to go into decay. With Mariemont to the South, Indian Hill to the East, and Madeira/Kenwood to the North, I would have to rate its chances at revival to be good.

Old 03-30-2010, 02:45 PM

41,960 posts, read 75,167,069 times
Colloquially, the neighborhood east of Plainville Road is considered Madison Place, no matter which side of the "corporation limit" sign you live on. Some would extend that further west. But I think you'd be OK listing the house in Madison Place.

Old 04-09-2010, 03:02 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,976,621 times
I'd call it Madison Place and talk up its proximity to Mariemont. Madisonville still says "crime."

Old 04-13-2010, 07:13 AM

94 posts, read 240,137 times
Ohiogirl81, there is actually a subdivision map that the city holds that designates what's Madison Place and what's not. For the most part, you are correct that the east of Plainville is Madison Place, but there are some exceptions to that rule. The subdivision lines are actually quite odd. It's like someone decided they didn't like certain streets, and didn't want them included. Let me see if I can find it.

Old 04-13-2010, 09:55 AM

41,960 posts, read 75,167,069 times
I'm pretty sure that entire plat east of Plainville is legally called the "Madison Place subdivision" -- that's how it's listed on the property deeds, no matter if you're in Cincinnati or in Columbia Township. The city limit winds its way through the subdivision -- there's a small chunk of the city that extends to the east past Kenmore on Britton and Merwin, but mostly the corporation limit runs a straight line between Plainville and Kenmore.

It's really easy to determine where the corporation limit is when it snows.

I'm not sure if the homes west of Plainville were platted as Madison Place or not. I could have some friends look at their deeds.

My property line was also the city limit; I was in Cincinnati, my neighbor was in Columbia Township. His property taxes were twice mine. I could do open burning in his yard, he could put three layers of shingles on his roof but I could have only two, etc.

Came in pretty handy as far as trash disposal, because we could put our trash out at each other's curbs when needed.

Last edited by Ohiogirl81; 04-13-2010 at 10:34 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati