Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2011, 07:20 PM

4 posts, read 8,417 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,

Long time lurker, first time poster. Instead of resurrecting an 8-month dead post on Madisonville, I figured I'd post a new one, so forgive me if that's not correct protocol . Anyway, I'm going to be moving to Cincinnati soon, and I'm looking at renting a place in a typical brick four-plex building and I am wondering about the specific area that it's in within Madisonville. It is very near Prince of Peace Catholic School/Church but also relatively near the Whetsel/Bramble and near Whetsel in general. It's on Simpson south of Bramble if that helps any. Would you consider this area one of the "safer" ones within Madisonville, or still somewhat troublesome? I'm a mid-20s white male and am concerned about having a secure place, but I don't flaunt things or otherwise make myself a target as best I can.

Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2011, 07:44 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,832,767 times
No problem with the protocols! It's a relief to see a new thread started instead of a played-out one tacked onto.

I may be the first to jump in, but there are several present - and longtime former - Madville residents in this forum. They'd naturally be the best qualified to answer your specific question. So I'll leave it to them.

What I'm wondering is, is convenience the reason you're focusing on that particular address? What's being termed a "typical brick four-plex building" sounds to me like what I call a "brick box." The Goyguy Sr's started married life in one, and were living in another when I was conceived. If compelled to move back to Cincinnati I'd probably start out in one. The city and many of its inner suburbs are full of 'em. Not that I want to deter you from considering Madisonville, but there are plenty of uniformly "good" areas like Pleasant Ridge, Wyoming, Deer Park, and Mt Lookout (for starters) that contain the same type of dwelling. I like them for their improbably spacious layouts, which usually include a big picture-windowed living room and a separate dining room. They often rent for less than a newer apartment or townhouse does too. So is there a particular reason (catchy craigslist ad quoting low rent?) that draws you to the one place, or are you open to other possibilities?

P.S. Welcome to da Nati!

Old 01-23-2011, 08:55 PM

Thanks for the response and info. To answer your main question - I have been looking at one unit in general because it has just been renovated, is very nice, and is still relatively cheap. I'd ultimately like to buy a fixer-upper house at some point, but want to rent for at least 6 months to a year to be sure I'm comfortable with job, find the ideal neighborhood for a fixer-upper, etc. Thus, being in an apartment is what I'm looking for right now. Other than great price for a nice unit, no particular reason I'm in Madisonville. There are some conveniences - I'm a cyclist, and it allows quick access to Indian Hill and further North and East which is good riding, so that's a plus.

I will/have been looking into some of the other areas you mentioned as well (especially Deer Park - looking at getting a house there eventually, I hope) but this unit just seemed to cover everything I was looking for in a unit - updated 1 bedroom clean, quiet (I hope) area without a ton of neighbors (read: apt. complexes) that is relatively cheap and well-maintained. And since you asked, yes it was a Craigslist ad (how'd you know?) but I've since followed up with the owner and seen a lot more pictures and talked with him about the upgrades made since he bought the unit recently, etc.

I've passed through the area quite a bit in the Fairfax Bike Trail and noticed no problems, but that was always afternoons/evenings and on the far southern edge of Madville, so not the greatest representation I'd suppose. Hence my questions - I plan on doing the Sat/Sun test soon.

Old 01-24-2011, 06:13 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
You have realized that the next street over from Simpson is "Homer", haven't you?

Anywho, I moved away from Madisonville six years ago. From what I recall -- and things do change -- that part of Madisonville is reasonably safe and the houses at that end of the street are largely owner-occupied. The problems at Whetsel and Bramble generally don't spread out too far from the immediate area. Of course, you'll want to be smart and keep everything locked up, etc. Good luck.

Old 01-24-2011, 06:49 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,942,354 times
yeah, you should be fine there. the long-time m-ville residents i know can go on about how much the area has improved in the last twenty years. the influence of the "problem corner" is easily faded away by the time you get to where you are talking about. and frankly, landlords aren't going to put money into renovating an apartment if the rents aren't high enough to carry it. and the rents won't be high enough unless it is a decent neighborhood.

Old 01-24-2011, 08:55 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,299,015 times
I think Simpson is a great location for your current requirements. That part of Madisonville is safe, quiet (except for recess time!), and great location for a cyclist. My cousin lives a block away on Homer, and he loves the area.

You shouldn't have too much of a problem with the negatives of the area. The local public schools are not good, but this doesn't affect you. As a result, the property values are low which translates to cheaper rent. Also, there are some crime problems directly to the north of that block, but everything on the south side of bramble is generally nice.

Old 01-24-2011, 02:11 PM

Awesome - thanks for the input guys and girls. I suspected what you have all said to be the case, but I could have been completely wrong for all I've known. I appreciate all the help and I will keep you updated if that falls through and I end up looking elsewhere.

Old 04-15-2011, 06:13 PM

5 posts, read 12,860 times
Did you end up renting the apartment in Madisonville?
If you decide that you like it and are looking for a house here, there is one near me that has excellent potential and should be going on the market as a foreclosure in the next few months. The guy across the street also seems to be a cyclist so maybe you would find someone to ride with.

Old 04-16-2011, 09:04 AM

I've actually rented it but haven't moved in yet - starting early summer. I did like the area though when I visited it specifically looking around with respect to renting in it. That being said, I'm still for sure interested in getting a place of my own as I'm only on a short term lease, so it would provide me enough time to get a place and get it renovated, etc. Out of curiosity, where are you located/where is this house that should be on the market soon? PM me if you'd like too, that's fine.

Old 04-16-2011, 10:31 AM

901 posts, read 2,387,335 times
Let's just put it this way: There was a time when you would hear about crime taking place in Madisonville a lot. BUT....I haven't heard about any crime there in a long time. I think the last thing I ever heard about coming out of Madisonville involved some graffiti. So that's probably a good sign.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati