Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2019, 10:46 AM
on3

498 posts, read 383,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird57 View Post
Living way out in Warren County will hardly provide you much exposure to what Cincinnati is all about.
indeed, if I had to live in area that is little more than a homogenous, culturally devoid collection of subdivisions and shopping centers, and commute to downtown Cincinnati for work, I’d be hating it too. Live in one of Cincinnati’s fine, diverse intown neighborhoods, you will find people who are much more open and accepting and a lifestyle that is far more interesting and enjoyable than what the monotonous suburban communities of Warren County have to offer. Not to mention you’ll spend a lot less time in your car.
I never bought into the whole down town city living is better than suburban living thing. Each have their pros and cons. Anyone in warren county can go to downtown cincy whenever they want and spend a day there walking around just like anyone from the city can come to the suburbs to enjoy things that are available there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2020, 08:02 PM

2 posts, read 2,603 times
The true test of a city is how they treat people who don’t look like them. Cincinnati fails the diversity test, big time. Cincinnati and the NKY area is full of people who haven’t moved around much and hence have little to no exposure to non whites. We lived there nearly 2 decades, until we realized nothing’s gonna change here. After I saw the Hitler salute at a basketball game, we decided it was time to pack up and move. In a bigger better city, now thankfully. I’ve never NOT missed a city as much as I do with Cincinnati.

Old 05-20-2020, 06:33 PM

417 posts, read 815,907 times
This is a super old thread, but now that I’ve been here for a year-plus, I feel like I can answer.

There was a show on TV called The Good Place. Without going deep into the plot, Kristen Bell’s character was talking about people not living in A good place or a bad place, but instead their own individual middle of the road purgatory, like Cincinnati. I laughed at that because that show hit the nail on the head about Cincinnati.

Of course it all comes down to personal opinion, but I find Cincinnati to be middle of the road in just about every way imaginable. It’s an ok city. I’ve lived in better and I’ve lived in worse. And I’d say the exact same about the people here. In general, they aren’t overly friendly here, but they aren’t rude either. They are average.

When I lived in Texas and walked on trails there, nearly everyone that passed me said hello. In CA where I grew up, nobody said anything to passersby. Here, most people also don’t say anything, but you will occasionally get someone who says hello and engages in conversations. When I moved here, people did give me ideas about where to live, hat restaurants to go to, etc. Sometimes unsolicited. But rarely ever invitations to go with them to dinner or coffee. I don’t think it’s rudeness; I think it’s because most people in Cincinnati have lived here all their lives and already have their social circles established so they don’t care about becoming friends with you.

Old 05-21-2020, 06:40 AM

90 posts, read 117,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poopycat View Post
This is a super old thread, but now that I’ve been here for a year-plus, I feel like I can answer.

There was a show on TV called The Good Place. Without going deep into the plot, Kristen Bell’s character was talking about people not living in A good place or a bad place, but instead their own individual middle of the road purgatory, like Cincinnati. I laughed at that because that show hit the nail on the head about Cincinnati.

Of course it all comes down to personal opinion, but I find Cincinnati to be middle of the road in just about every way imaginable. It’s an ok city. I’ve lived in better and I’ve lived in worse. And I’d say the exact same about the people here. In general, they aren’t overly friendly here, but they aren’t rude either. They are average.

When I lived in Texas and walked on trails there, nearly everyone that passed me said hello. In CA where I grew up, nobody said anything to passersby. Here, most people also don’t say anything, but you will occasionally get someone who says hello and engages in conversations. When I moved here, people did give me ideas about where to live, hat restaurants to go to, etc. Sometimes unsolicited. But rarely ever invitations to go with them to dinner or coffee. I don’t think it’s rudeness; I think it’s because most people in Cincinnati have lived here all their lives and already have their social circles established so they don’t care about becoming friends with you.
I think it also has to do with the Midwest in general. Most Midwest cities I have been too haven't been overly friendly but not rude either. You will occasionally get a hello here and there. As someone who was born and raised in the Midwest and have lived in Cincinnati for 10 years, I can say I am someone who occasionally says hi when passing someone but only if I make eye contact with them, I personally find it strange to say hi to every person I pass.

Old 05-21-2020, 01:26 PM

224 posts, read 297,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poopycat View Post

That's a pretty good description of the Cincinnati area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati