Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2019, 08:26 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,926,874 times

Advertisements

Cincy people are mostly just meh: not friendly or friendly just like New Mexico
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2019, 06:58 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,023,338 times
As I see it (#230), this individual is deliberately trying to provoke argument and controversy. There's a name for forum members such as this, but only a moderator is allowed to use it.

My suggestion is simply to ignore this post altogether. Any response at all will only add kindling to the fire, making it burn brighter. Let's force this poster and other like-minded critics to look elsewhere for a cure for their boredom.

Old 08-29-2019, 11:51 AM

183 posts, read 197,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
As I see it (#230), this individual is deliberately trying to provoke argument and controversy. There's a name for forum members such as this, but only a moderator is allowed to use it.

My suggestion is simply to ignore this post altogether. Any response at all will only add kindling to the fire, making it burn brighter. Let's force this poster and other like-minded critics to look elsewhere for a cure for their boredom.

I think the term you're searching for is "giant tool".

Old 08-31-2019, 12:30 PM
on3

498 posts, read 385,242 times
Someone from Baltimore telling someone from Cincinnati they "got a lot of work to do"

Now that's funny!

Old 09-01-2019, 07:53 AM

2,365 posts, read 4,375,521 times
Whenever I have been in Cincinnati the people have been friendly. Not sure how the Cincinnati folks will treat me next time I’m there after the Browns whip their azz this season! Lol

Old 09-04-2019, 09:58 AM

6,342 posts, read 11,089,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippyjet View Post
You are correct, there are great people and nasty folk almost anywhere. Now Cincinnati, from the people I've encountered (work in Customer Service) I'm less than impressed. The folks I've met from this town that borders Kentucky seem to have a chip on their shoulder. A feeling that everyone is out to screw them over and lie to them. Cincinnati would rate on my wish to visit list with such places as anywhere in France, Pensacola, Fl. Orlando, and Iceland. That's pretty far down on my list. A cut above getting a colonoscopy. And several of these folks have been intoxicated and led away by our police. I understand Cincinnati was and is a depressed high crime city. I feel your pain as I'm from and live in Baltimore where murder sadly is a pastime for many. Our leaders are clueless and corrupt and we are a poor city in one of the richest states. But, I hope when we travel and encounter others from many lands and towns we don't act common and nasty. My IMHO rankings of nasty lands in the USA. Not scientific.
Boston area.
New York City area Both are literally tied for mean but at least humor goes a long way. With Boston and NYC political correctness is big so watch out.
Cincinnati a contender. From the Cincinnatians I encountered rude, and intoxicated seem to be the rule not the exception.
The biggest surprise for pleasantness and happiness is the city of big Shoulders Chicago. When crossing Michigan Avenue by the Hilton a driver got caught by the light in the crosswalk. He actually backed up his car. I smiled and proceeded to cross.
Cincinnati, you got a lot of work to do.
A second thumbs up for Chicago and Illinois in general. During numerous overnight stops throughout the state and also the Chicago area and also stops for a bite to eat during road trips, the people there have always been cordial or friendly. On Monday when I stopped for gas in Champaign, IL I ended up having a conversation with a guy from Buffalo and a gal Indianapolis (also lived near Syracuse, NY for a while) simply because he saw my "Maine" tee shirt and commented about how his father was from Maine.

Cincinnati area. I find the people on the KY side are more welcoming than the Ohio side. Though I have not had any real negative encounters either while traveling and now living here in northern KY with most of the people. I do run into the occasional off handed comment from a person from time to time but it is not nearly as common here as it was when I lived in Indianapolis or its metro area. Far less of a problem once you get away from the Indy metro. Overall I would rate Cincy people as average. Reserved but will talk to you if they talk to them. I'm the same way really so it does not bother me. I will say in closing that yes, there are some people here that will view an outsider that they don't know with an eye that they may be a criminal despite not having a shred of evidence to support the "belief". And there is a fair amount of backstabbing in the work place. Indy was worse in both respects.

Old 12-15-2019, 08:37 AM

224 posts, read 297,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
A second thumbs up for Chicago and Illinois in general. During numerous overnight stops throughout the state and also the Chicago area and also stops for a bite to eat during road trips, the people there have always been cordial or friendly. On Monday when I stopped for gas in Champaign, IL I ended up having a conversation with a guy from Buffalo and a gal Indianapolis (also lived near Syracuse, NY for a while) simply because he saw my "Maine" tee shirt and commented about how his father was from Maine.

Cincinnati area. I find the people on the KY side are more welcoming than the Ohio side. Though I have not had any real negative encounters either while traveling and now living here in northern KY with most of the people. I do run into the occasional off handed comment from a person from time to time but it is not nearly as common here as it was when I lived in Indianapolis or its metro area. Far less of a problem once you get away from the Indy metro. Overall I would rate Cincy people as average. Reserved but will talk to you if they talk to them. I'm the same way really so it does not bother me. I will say in closing that yes, there are some people here that will view an outsider that they don't know with an eye that they may be a criminal despite not having a shred of evidence to support the "belief". And there is a fair amount of backstabbing in the work place. Indy was worse in both respects.
Chicago a thumbs up on friendliness? I don't entirely agree.

I went there a couple times last year after not having been there for many years. When dealing with Chicagoland people in person, I'd say they were just on this side of cordial overall. But behind the wheel of a car, they're just downright aggressive and nasty. It felt like a small miracle I left Chicago both times without having been in an accident.

Even though people around Greater Cincinnati tend to be lousy drivers, especially in any kind of wet or inclement weather, they're at least generally not so aggressive behind the wheel.

Old 12-22-2019, 06:28 AM

542 posts, read 1,107,985 times
I just took my son to the Bengals-Patriots game, for his 18th birthday. He's a big Pats fan. We got in around noon on Saturday, and spent some time down along the river. Everyone we ran into was nice. Santa Con was going on, that was fairly crazy. We went over to the Reds ballpark, we loved the statues outside. We ate at Pies and Pints, also friendly. Sunday at the football game, both sides got along great. In summary, it was a short stay, but we had a great time. We even got to see some snow before we left. Don't sell your city short.
From the hotel staff, to the waitresses, to the Bengal fans, two thumbs up from this southerner. Hopefully next time we'll have more time to explore.

Old 12-25-2019, 02:05 PM

392 posts, read 1,068,459 times
This thread is over a decade old, and I'm pretty sure I've opined on it in the past, but Cincinnati has changed a lot since then.

I didn't think a whole lot of the locals when I lived there in 2009. I thought they were snobby, cliquish, and insular. Most of my friends were transplants from other areas of the country, as was I, and after the first few months of living there I really didn't make much of an effort to meet new people that were born and raised in the area.

However, my last few visits back to Cincinnati since I moved away from there have been all positive ones. The people there aren't actually as bad as I thought they were 10 years ago. I'm older and much wiser since then. I've learned that socialization is a two-way street. I'm pretty sure that had I been in my late thirties then as I am now, I probably would have had much more meaningful interactions with the people that call the Queen City home.

Just my opinion.

Old 12-26-2019, 07:49 AM

4 posts, read 3,221 times
Living way out in Warren County will hardly provide you much exposure to what Cincinnati is all about.
indeed, if I had to live in area that is little more than a homogenous, culturally devoid collection of subdivisions and shopping centers, and commute to downtown Cincinnati for work, I’d be hating it too. Live in one of Cincinnati’s fine, diverse intown neighborhoods, you will find people who are much more open and accepting and a lifestyle that is far more interesting and enjoyable than what the monotonous suburban communities of Warren County have to offer. Not to mention you’ll spend a lot less time in your car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati