Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 09:18 AM

156 posts, read 631,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlrosen View Post
Newport is within walking distance of downtown. It isn't competition, it is all one big urban area. If you go to chicago it doesn't matter what is on either side of the river it is all chicago; same with cincinnati. People aren't moving away from cincinnati proper, population is growing.
Exactly... great point. The negative population numbers are related to Cincinnati proper, which is an extremely small area of actual greater Cincinnati... people should look at Greater Cincy including the three counties in NKY... progress and development in any area of Greater Cincy is progress for everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2007, 03:41 PM

710 posts, read 3,045,511 times
The negative population isn't in cincinnati proper, the city is growing by a very small percentage, but it is growing. On of the reasons is that the census models predict X% of housing over Y years old automatically goes off-line each year. In a city like cincinnati, much of the housing stock in the city is historic, so the census models predict a certain amount is lost each year.

The city decided to take a more accurate approach and actually look at demolition permits, rehabilitation permits, and occupancy permits rather than just assume certain housing stock is lost each year.

Based on those figures the census revised its estimates to indicate Cincinnati's population grew by 26 people from 2000-2005 and grew 0.3% or about 1200 people from 2005-2006.

Cincinnati is still 168,000 people behind it's peak population, or 66% of peak population, but that is comperable to much of hamilton county. Deer Park is at 69% of peak,
Mariemont is at 75% of peak,
Elmwood place 58%
Norwood 61%
St Bernard 65%
Amberly Village 72%

then there are others which have fared better, but have started losing population
Evandale 95%
Harrison 98%
Maderia 95%

Old 10-25-2007, 07:19 PM

83 posts, read 438,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kally View Post
I know I am off to Dallas in 2009. For me there is just nothing here. Entertainment wise, relationship wise,
That is interesting...have you ever been to Dallas, or anywhere outside of Cincinnati for that matter (I'm seriously asking...not trying to be condescending)? I lived in Atlanta for a little while, and that city is often considered to be a great place for young people with infinite things to do.

The thing is that Atlanta has some things to offer (as most every city does), but any city is really what you make of it. Personally I think Cincinnati has a better bar scene, arts/culture and is infinitely more walkable. With that said Atlanta has more/better clubs and there are just overall more young people. But as I said...it's what you make of it. If you truly think that there is "nothing" for you here in terms of entertainment and relationships...then you're probably going to have a difficult time anywhere you go.

Old 11-05-2007, 10:29 AM

1 posts, read 2,467 times
Default The Cincy population numbers are misleading

I've lived in Cincinnati for 10 years and I can assure that the population is not decreasing. Not to say that the numbers are wrong, they're not, however they are misleading. Cincinnati actually stretches across 3 states (OH, KY, and IN) however usually only the City of Cincinnati or Hamiltion county are taken into account when accessing population.

If you look at Nothern KY and Eastern IN Greater Cincinnati area they are actually growning. In fact Independence KY was one of the 100 fastest growing town in the US last year, and it's less than 20 minutes from downtown Cincinnati. I moved to Hebron, KY this summer from the Mt. Washington area of Cincinnati, however I'm 5 minutes closer to downtown. So did the population of Cincinnati really decrease, when I only moved just a few miles away? On paper it did.

Old 11-13-2007, 11:15 PM

1,082 posts, read 4,717,000 times
It seems that it's like most inner cities--the white flight to suburbs. Denver could be said to loose population to Douglas county, too, but when Douglas residents want to, they say they live in "Denver" just like people in ring areas of Cincy like to live away from the older inner urban areas where they think it's safe. (But it is not always true).

Old 11-13-2007, 11:26 PM

4 posts, read 10,309 times
So true, so true... look at Detroit.

Old 12-12-2007, 10:11 PM

43 posts, read 141,547 times
I did not reaed the previous posts.

My answer would be URBAN SPRAWL. Most of the cities around the "city" are gaining in population. Afew are gaining at record pace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati