Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 06:19 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,139,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioUberAlles View Post
You said you want a safe city, yet you plan on moving to Cincinnati... You've just contradicted yourself.

Cincinnati regularly ranks in the top 20 in terms of most dangerous cities in the United States. In years when it doesn't rank in the top 20, it is still in the top 30.

If you have a family, assuming you care about their safety, moving to Cincinnati is reckless and irresponsible. I would suggest finding some nice place in the adjacent county of Clermont, and commute to Cincinnati if your job is located inside city limits.

There are a number of cities in Ohio that you couldn't pay me enough to live in...

Cleveland
Cincinnati
Dayton
Columbus
Toledo
Akron
Youngstown

Most of those cities have repeatedly made the list of the top 25 most dangerous cities in the nation. Check the 2007 list! Youngstown, Cleveland, Cincinnati, and Dayton, all four made the list.
Love these posts from people who DONT even live in or near the City of CIncinnati. Its like me reading the paper or stats about your neighborhood and making those comments. As a resident, this really frustrates me. And for the record, You would have to PAY me to move somewhere else. I love it here and as a female, I feel very safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2009, 06:28 AM

1,009 posts, read 877,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartwell Girl View Post
Love these posts from people who DONT even live in or near the City of CIncinnati. Its like me reading the paper or stats about your neighborhood and making those comments. As a resident, this really frustrates me. And for the record, You would have to PAY me to move somewhere else. I love it here and as a female, I feel very safe.

Where were you during the 2001 Cincinnati riots?

Your feeling safe doesn't mean you are safe. Lots of people felt safe staying in New Orleans as Katrina was bearing down on them... Whether or not they were safe, we need only look at the death toll to find out.

I can feel as though I am king of the world, it doesn't necessarily make it so.

Old 01-22-2009, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Where were you during the 2001 Cincinnati riots?

Your feeling safe doesn't mean you are safe. Lots of people felt safe staying in New Orleans as Katrina was bearing down on them... Whether or not they were safe, we need only look at the death toll to find out.

I can feel as though I am king of the world, it doesn't necessarily make it so.
I was here, in cincinnati....where were you?
I know I am safe because I live here everyday with no problems. If I didnt feel safe I would move, but I dont. I am tired of these comments and people thinking that those who like Cincinnati or feel safe in Cincinnati are living in some lala land. I go to monthly police meetings, I speak almost daily with our neighborhood police officer. I know more about my neighborhood than a lot of people, and I dont like others trying to tell me what I know not to be factual.

Old 01-22-2009, 06:46 AM

Quote:
I was here, in cincinnati....where were you?
I know I am safe because I live here everyday with no problems. If I didnt feel safe I would move, but I dont. I am tired of these comments and people thinking that those who like Cincinnati or feel safe in Cincinnati are living in some lala land. I go to monthly police meetings, I speak almost daily with our neighborhood police officer. I know more about my neighborhood than a lot of people, and I dont like others trying to tell me what I know not to be factual.

The numbers don't lie, nor do they have an agenda. However they do paint a picture of Cincinnati and it isn't a pretty picture. Cincinnati is a very dangerous city and anybody who is not delusional will recognize the numbers for what they are.

You can feel safe all you want, it doesn't make you safe.

Old 01-22-2009, 06:53 AM

Quote:
The numbers don't lie, nor do they have an agenda. However they do paint a picture of Cincinnati and it isn't a pretty picture. Cincinnati is a very dangerous city and anybody who is not delusional will recognize the numbers for what they are.

You can feel safe all you want, it doesn't make you safe.
So you explain to me o'wise one why I have lived here with no problems then? Just luck I guess. Maybe I should lock up my kid and install bullet proof windows in the house. Give me a break. Im not wasting my time with you, I will let others jump in on this one because I know they will not be as nice as I have been addressing this.

Old 01-22-2009, 06:56 AM

Quote:
So you explain to me o'wise one why I have lived here with no problems then? Just luck I guess. Maybe I should lock up my kid and install bullet proof windows in the house. Give me a break. Im not wasting my time with you, I will let others jump in on this one because I know they will not be as nice as I have been addressing this.

Okay, so you haven't been the victim of crime... That is nice to hear, since crime is not pleasant... What do you say to the thousands of people who have been victims of crime?

The truth is that Cincinnati is more dangerous, per capita, than say, Ashtabula or Conneaut.

Cincinnati may have close to 100 murders in a year, while Conneaut has one murder every several decades.

Statistically you are in greater danger living in Cincinatti than you are in any other city in the state of Ohio, aside from Cleveland and Youngstown. If you were in Dayton you would be safer. This is simple math/statistics.

Old 01-22-2009, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Okay, so you haven't been the victim of crime... That is nice to hear, since crime is not pleasant... What do you say to the thousands of people who have been victims of crime?

The truth is that Cincinnati is more dangerous, per capita, than say, Ashtabula or Conneaut.

Cincinnati may have close to 100 murders in a year, while Conneaut has one murder every several decades.

Statistically you are in greater danger living in Cincinatti than you are in any other city in the state of Ohio, aside from Cleveland and Youngstown. If you were in Dayton you would be safer. This is simple math/statistics.
OMG---are you serious. Cincinnati's population is about 330,000 compared to that of Ashtabula (21,000) or Conneaut (13,000)...

Old 01-22-2009, 10:43 AM

Quote:
OMG---are you serious. Cincinnati's population is about 330,000 compared to that of Ashtabula (21,000) or Conneaut (13,000)...

So Conneaut should have at least 2-5% of the crime of Cincinnati, yes? So that would be 1-2 murders per year, rather than 1-2 murders every 10-20 years.

Ashtabula should have about 8% of the crime that Cincinnati has, yet it does not...

I deal with per capita... Cincinnati is one of the most dangerous cities in the state of Ohio, along with being one of the most dangerous in the United States of America.

Mentor has about 55,000 people, in other words, about 15% the population of Cincinnati, yet we don't have 15-20 murders per year (15-20 murders would be approximately 15% the number of murders that Cincinnati has). Aside from one murder a year ago, and one about 10 years before that, we typically have 0% of the murders that Cincinnati has.

Yes, I am serious...

Do you understand what per capita crime data entails and what it means?

Ceteris paribus, a city with half the population of another city, should have half the crime...

Old 01-22-2009, 12:09 PM

Try not to be insulting. I am having a hard enough time dealing with your crappy attitude

Old 01-22-2009, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Try not to be insulting. I am having a hard enough time dealing with your crappy attitude

I wasn't being insulting, I was asking if you understand per capita... I pointed out that Ashtabula is far safer than Cincinatti, both numerically and on a per capita basis. You then came back and said Ashtabula has far fewer people, which is irrelevant and tends to suggest you don't understand the concept of per capita.

Ashtabula has about 6.5% the population of Cincinnati, but it barely has 1% of the crime that Cincinnati has. Thus Ashtabula is safer in relative and absolute terms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati