Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 02:58 PM

46 posts, read 195,053 times

Advertisements

I was in Cincinnati all last week looking for places to live (I am relocating with Fifth Third Bank, will be working Downtown at Fountain Square)...and found that Cincy is veru segregated.

My family and I (me, my husband, and 6 yr old daughter) are from Chicago. We are wondering, what are the affluent african american communities in Cincinnati...or does that exist? How comfortable or uncomfortable would we feel living in Northern Kentucky? How would my daughter be treated in school (she's in kindergarten). We went to Cracker Barrel in Florence KY and didn't feel too welcome...actually we got hate stares a lot of places we went. It seems Cincy/NKY has the "down south" mentality more so than the Chi area.

We are just trying to find a nice place to move where I can be close to work and my daughter can be in a nice school. BTW - we are renting when we first move down.

Any help is much appreciated! Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2007, 08:56 PM

884 posts, read 2,644,117 times
Default Welcome to Cincinnati

Most black professionals make Cincy a quick pass through on the way to better jobs elsewhere. Even when you get to good ol' 5/3 you will see it visibly in how most minorities are in operations or mortage processing AND the dead end call center jobs.

As for communities Forest Park is middle class and predom AA, Liberty Township is also diverse, parts of Evendale, Glendale and Wyoming (my fave) have a nice balance and are nice areas with good schools. I would NOT consider NKY-yet. Ky still has a stigma attached to it and like the experience you had--you will get those stares a lot in that area. For the life of me I really don't know why people still do that.

Old 12-10-2007, 09:45 PM

710 posts, read 3,049,060 times
I would recommend Paddock Hills or North Avondale, affluent, mixed race areas

Old 12-10-2007, 09:47 PM

Liberty Township is 94% Caucasian, that isn't diverse

Old 12-11-2007, 05:33 AM

2,551 posts, read 2,879,995 times
You're best bets would be Forest Park (there are some nice parts), or anywhere you can find in the Princeton district (Evendale, Glendale, Springdale, etc.). Your child would be attending diverse schools in either district that are both predominantly African-American and solid schools too, especially Princeton's.

Old 12-11-2007, 03:20 PM

46 posts, read 195,053 times
Thanks all!

I am going to look into those areas...the problem is that they are not very near to downtown so I'd have a longer commute than what I wanted but that might have to be a sacrifice I have to make.

Old 12-11-2007, 03:37 PM

If you want a place near downtown that is diverse, how about city west? It is in the west end, right near downtown, everyone I have met there likes it, there are numerous parks and playgrounds and a rec center and a ymca all within walking distance.

Old 12-11-2007, 05:47 PM

6 posts, read 31,843 times
City West? You got to be kidding.

Old 12-11-2007, 06:06 PM

care to explain?

Old 12-11-2007, 06:07 PM

6 posts, read 31,843 times
Cincinnati doesn't have a large black affluent community. Most black people who make a little money move to West Chester, Mason,, Liberty Twp, Fairfield. As far as moving close to downtown. North Avondale, Paddock Hills, East Walnut Hills, Hyde Park, Kentucky isn't too bad once they see your face around a few times. Actually my cousin loves living in his newly built home in Ft. Mitchell Kentucky. He's black 33 with a wife and 2 kids and you couldn't get them to move back across the river.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati