Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2023, 07:47 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times

Advertisements

As I stated, I can live anywhere beween Cincinnati, Dayton, and NKY. Here's my situation:

I am retired. My granddaughter and daughter both live in the Cincinnati area (Lebanon and Cincinnati). Most of my income is SS and pulling from retirement accounts that have already been taxed. I plan to pay cash for my home and want it to be around $350K or less. I am 61 so a bit on the young side of retirement. My granddaughter recently married and is already expecting! The "benefits" of having your daughter at age 21 and her having a daughter at age 21! So yes, I will be a very young great grandmother and am really looking forward to it all, once the move is done. I am pretty active and healthy overall.

I am not opposed to condo living or attached living or whatever. I AM opposed to lots of stairs and all that because I don't want to keep moving. What small towns do you recommend and not recommend that I look at? I am planning a trip soon. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2023, 08:03 PM

I'd like to move this to the general Ohio forum if possible. Thanks, Mods!

Old 12-08-2023, 05:05 PM

3,254 posts, read 1,409,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
As I stated, I can live anywhere beween Cincinnati, Dayton, and NKY. Here's my situation:

I am retired. My granddaughter and daughter both live in the Cincinnati area (Lebanon and Cincinnati). Most of my income is SS and pulling from retirement accounts that have already been taxed. I plan to pay cash for my home and want it to be around $350K or less. I am 61 so a bit on the young side of retirement. My granddaughter recently married and is already expecting! The "benefits" of having your daughter at age 21 and her having a daughter at age 21! So yes, I will be a very young great grandmother and am really looking forward to it all, once the move is done. I am pretty active and healthy overall.

I am not opposed to condo living or attached living or whatever. I AM opposed to lots of stairs and all that because I don't want to keep moving. What small towns do you recommend and not recommend that I look at? I am planning a trip soon. Thanks!
Igrew up in Cincinnati, still have family there and have visited often over the past 40 years. We are finally moving back to the area in early January. With my lengthy absence, I think others will probably be able to give you better and more up to date info than I can, but for what it’s worth, here are my thoughts.

I am partial to the east side of Cincinnati, and one place you might want to look at is Milford. For $350,000 I think you would be able to find a number of attractive housing options….something more traditional/older, newer patio type home, etc. The downtown is charming…lots of places to live within walking distance of the central business hub, though those properties might run more than $350K. You are close to I-275 so would be able to get to anywhere in the city pretty easily, and also be able to access Lebanon via I-71.

Old 12-08-2023, 05:14 PM

20,098 posts, read 8,998,912 times
How about Spring Valley?

Old 12-08-2023, 08:09 PM

4,479 posts, read 6,230,642 times
I second Milford and also would add Morrow to the list. Its in the country, close to small towns and Cincy (relatively speaking) and not far from Lebanon.

Old 12-08-2023, 10:26 PM

12,103 posts, read 23,262,756 times
Other than "small" you haven't said what you are looking for.

Old 12-09-2023, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Other than "small" you haven't said what you are looking for.
Well, I know what I DON'T want and what I don't want is a lot of stairs (which I already said), nothing over around $350K (which I already said) and I don't want a run down, industrial type of feel to a town. I also already said that I am not opposed to a condo or something similar.

Old 12-10-2023, 09:56 AM

12,103 posts, read 23,262,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Well, I know what I DON'T want and what I don't want is a lot of stairs (which I already said), nothing over around $350K (which I already said) and I don't want a run down, industrial type of feel to a town. I also already said that I am not opposed to a condo or something similar.
I don't know if we are on the same page. What I am asking is do you want suburban, rural or semi-rural? Do you like old fashioned downtown areas? Do you want well developed park districts, libraries, walkability, public transit, highway or airport access, etc.?

Small is also relative. I rember being in college in a city with 200 thousand people. Some students thought it was a large metro, while others thought that it was an overgrown small city.

Off the top of my head, the Oregon District in Dayton, Oxford, Lebanon, Waynesville, Loveland, and Wyoming. Personally, I also like the architecture in the old river towns (like Covington) on the KY side of the Ohio River.

Old 12-10-2023, 10:08 AM

3,254 posts, read 1,409,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
I don't know if we are on the same page. What I am asking is do you want suburban, rural or semi-rural? Do you like old fashioned downtown areas? Do you want well developed park districts, libraries, walkability, public transit, highway or airport access, etc.?

Small is also relative. I rember being in college in a city with 200 thousand people. Some students thought it was a large metro, while others thought that it was an overgrown small city.

Off the top of my head, the Oregon District in Dayton, Oxford, Lebanon, Waynesville, Loveland, and Wyoming. Personally, I also like the architecture in the old river towns (like Covington) on the KY side of the Ohio River.
I was a bit reluctant to suggest Wyoming and Loveland (both of which I also like) because I thought it might be more challenging to find homes for $350K in these locations. What do you think? I know both of those areas can command some high prices for real estate, but maybe I am overestimating prices for the median/average/typical home.

Old 12-10-2023, 09:13 PM

4,479 posts, read 6,230,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVNomad View Post
I was a bit reluctant to suggest Wyoming and Loveland (both of which I also like) because I thought it might be more challenging to find homes for $350K in these locations. What do you think? I know both of those areas can command some high prices for real estate, but maybe I am overestimating prices for the median/average/typical home.
Wyoming most definately.

Loveland your money will give a decent return.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati