Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2024, 11:03 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVNomad View Post
“Terrible” is in the eye of the beholder, but Lebanon is in Warren County, Ohio. 65% of Warren County voters went for Trump in the 2020 election….35% for Mr.Biden. So, residents lean heavy MAGA. One might love that or hate it or not care, but it is what it is. In addition, Lebanon’s population is 92% white….so not much racial diversity, and about 30% of the population is over 55 years old. It’s not the kind of place a lot of younger people are moving to; more likely than not, they are leaving for greener economic pastures. Again, depending where you are in your life (young family vs.retiree) this may or may not matter.

I’d sum it up by characterizing Lebanon as a community of older, white Republicans. Could be heaven for some people. Could be hell for others. Might not matter a lick either.
Count me among the ones to whom it doesn't matter a lick one way or the other. I am 61 and politics only wears me out. There are so many other interesting things to talk about! And good people pretty much across the board.

I also don't care one way or the other about diversity (other than not being able to just run get tacos anytime I want some good ones). I don't think Ohio in general is well known for its diversity now that I think of it.

I will be moving from one of a small handful of majority/minority states so that will be one of many adjustments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2024, 02:18 PM

3,254 posts, read 1,409,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Count me among the ones to whom it doesn't matter a lick one way or the other. I am 61 and politics only wears me out. There are so many other interesting things to talk about! And good people pretty much across the board.

I also don't care one way or the other about diversity (other than not being able to just run get tacos anytime I want some good ones). I don't think Ohio in general is well known for its diversity now that I think of it.

I will be moving from one of a small handful of majority/minority states so that will be one of many adjustments.
I feel your pain regarding missing good tacos. We are leaving our home in San Antonio this Friday to return back to Cincinnati after a long absence of many years. I was talking to my wife the other night and asked what she would miss most….she said good tacos. And HEB.

Old 01-03-2024, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVNomad View Post
I feel your pain regarding missing good tacos. We are leaving our home in San Antonio this Friday to return back to Cincinnati after a long absence of many years. I was talking to my wife the other night and asked what she would miss most….she said good tacos. And HEB.
Well, we have Brookshire's here (instead of HEB) but yes, I understand, believe me! Oh well. It's worth the trade off all in all but still...I will miss some things for sure. And I will NOT miss other things!

Old 01-04-2024, 02:23 PM

41,946 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Tell me more about Lebanon! What's terrible about it?
I'm pretty scarred, still, from hearing things like "Oh, you're 30 and you're not married? What's wrong with you?" and "All you Catholics are going to hell". I wore an ankle bracelet all through high school and college, but when I landed in Lebanon a few years after college, I took a lot of crap for it ("You must be a druggie [or a hippie, or something else undesirable]").

I am not kidding. I still have plenty of friends in Lebanon, and not much has changed since I moved almost 30 years ago. Oh, and let's not forget the "You're not from around here, are you?"

Lebanon is a beautiful town. No doubt about it. But the people are insular, judgemental, and parochial.

Old 01-05-2024, 09:42 AM

29,737 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
Well, we have Brookshire's here (instead of HEB) but yes, I understand, believe me! Oh well. It's worth the trade off all in all but still...I will miss some things for sure. And I will NOT miss other things!
In some of the areas you're looking at, you might be close to a Dorothy Lane Market, which is a Dayton based store, and they're great.

You could also look around West Chester and Liberty Township. Those are northern suburbs of Cincinnati that are more newly developed than parts of Lebanon. I know my Dad has a widowed friend who lives in a townhouse community around there.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 01-05-2024 at 10:24 AM..

Old 01-05-2024, 10:54 AM

5,759 posts, read 11,358,171 times
As a newbie to the area I am impressed with the selection of good grocery stores. This is Kroger's home turf with major distribution centers, so the products that arrive at their market (as in fresh items) are usually very good in terms of quality and freshness - better than in many other areas of the USA that are further from major distribution centers. Most of the Kroger stores are well kept, but they have plenty of competition from Meijer's, Aldi, Walmart, Fresh Thyme, Trader Joe's, Costco, Sam's Club. Fresh Thyme looks almost like a clone of Sprouts market, but they are owned at least in part by Meijer's.

I haven't been to Dorothy Lane Market yet, but I suspect it is one of those upscale sort of markets.

Old 01-06-2024, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I'm pretty scarred, still, from hearing things like "Oh, you're 30 and you're not married? What's wrong with you?" and "All you Catholics are going to hell". I wore an ankle bracelet all through high school and college, but when I landed in Lebanon a few years after college, I took a lot of crap for it ("You must be a druggie [or a hippie, or something else undesirable]").

I am not kidding. I still have plenty of friends in Lebanon, and not much has changed since I moved almost 30 years ago. Oh, and let's not forget the "You're not from around here, are you?"

Lebanon is a beautiful town. No doubt about it. But the people are insular, judgemental, and parochial.
Oh, I am not particularly worried about all that. But thank you!

(Hey, I'm Catholic in East Texas. So I can take anything.)

Old 01-06-2024, 09:18 AM

29,737 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Cincinnati is still a very Catholic town, so you might enjoy that aspect of the area.

Thinking about it more, I will give a shout-out to the suburb where I grew up, Blue Ash. My parents have lived there since the 70s, but there is also a lot of new development, including apartments and townhouses, especially in the "downtown" area and Summit Park, a decommissioned airfield. There are a lot of community resources, like a really nice rec center, and it's conveniently located, with quick access to I-71, I-75, 275, and Cross County (fine, Ronald Reagan Highway.)

Old 01-07-2024, 11:39 AM

41,946 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
I haven't been to Dorothy Lane Market yet, but I suspect it is one of those upscale sort of markets.
Dorothy Lane Market is all kinds of awesome. I wouldn't call it upscale, just better than your average Kroger or Meijer.
Quote:
(Hey, I'm Catholic in East Texas. So I can take anything.)
LOL. Much respect. The anti-Catholic sentiment in Lebanon really flummoxed me, though, especially hearing that stuff from kids. Their parents must have taught them that. How Christian of them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Cincinnati is still a very Catholic town, so you might enjoy that aspect of the area.
Cincinnati, yes; Warren County, heck, no.

Old 01-09-2024, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Dorothy Lane Market is all kinds of awesome. I wouldn't call it upscale, just better than your average Kroger or Meijer.

LOL. Much respect. The anti-Catholic sentiment in Lebanon really flummoxed me, though, especially hearing that stuff from kids. Their parents must have taught them that. How Christian of them.

Cincinnati, yes; Warren County, heck, no.
I am tough. Hey, I'm moving from BaptistLand. And I converted! From Methodist to Catholic. Twenty years ago. My parents like to have died.

There's a HUGE Baptist church near where I live. We (anyone who isn't Baptist) call it Six Flags Over Jesus. Sorry if I offended anyone!

I am headed your way, by the way. Second week in February!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati