Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2015, 08:58 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,158,013 times

Advertisements

They updated 275 from Forest Park out to 71 recently so hopefully there won't be more clogging it up, which will help out your commute a lot.

Overall I'd say it won't be too horrible depending on how you do it. Personally I'd use Wards Corner, Loveland Maderia, etc. to bypass I-71 altogether and get straight to 275, which is less of a headache. Then take 275 all the way west to I-74 and use it to drop down to where you need to go. Don't try to fight 71 or 75 and you'll be fine!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2015, 06:58 AM

120 posts, read 237,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeacherinTN View Post
I have been offered a position at Colerain Middle School and a 5th grade position in Oak Hills. I'm going to accept the Oak Hills position. My wife really wants to live on the east side around Loveland. Should that be an insane commute? It would be mostly 275 all the way. G maps shoes about 40 minute drive.

We are so excited but also reality is sinking in! We have to sell our house, buy one and then move within 30 days. School starts on the 10th. On top of that we had a water leak at our house and insurance is paying for new floors and are tearing our house up. Crazy times!!

Congratulations! I hope everything goes as smoothly as may be given the long list of to dos!

Old 07-13-2015, 07:07 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,976,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeacherinTN View Post
I have been offered a position at Colerain Middle School and a 5th grade position in Oak Hills. I'm going to accept the Oak Hills position. My wife really wants to live on the east side around Loveland. Should that be an insane commute? It would be mostly 275 all the way. G maps shoes about 40 minute drive.

We are so excited but also reality is sinking in! We have to sell our house, buy one and then move within 30 days. School starts on the 10th. On top of that we had a water leak at our house and insurance is paying for new floors and are tearing our house up. Crazy times!!
I'm both happy and sad to read your posting. Happy that you got a job in the Oak Hills district. Sad at the prospect of the hours out of your week a commute from Loveland would eat up and take you away from your family or other enjoyable activities, with no discernable benefit whatsoever. I don't know if the 40 minute time is realistic or not, I do know that I-275 is basically not any fun to drive. Especially if you hit it at rush hour. Not to mention the wear and tear on your car and the cost of the commute. I can only hope at least you would be renting for a while, to see the real impact of this choice.

I do know what I'm talking about when it comes to the "east side west side" stereotypes about Cincinnati, if that plays into this thing about Loveland. In fact, I sometimes have to travel to the east side to find things that aren't available on the west side. It's much better to make that trip once in a while and to live in the home I have, which is valued at probably $75 or $100K lower than it would be in, say, Hyde Park.

Best of luck with the issues with your house, and with your move.

Old 07-13-2015, 07:37 AM

677 posts, read 1,073,162 times
Congratulations on the job offer. Hate to see Johnson City lose a good teacher but best of luck to you in Cincinnati!

Old 07-13-2015, 11:29 AM

172 posts, read 254,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWOH View Post
They updated 275 from Forest Park out to 71 recently so hopefully there won't be more clogging it up, which will help out your commute a lot.

Overall I'd say it won't be too horrible depending on how you do it. Personally I'd use Wards Corner, Loveland Maderia, etc. to bypass I-71 altogether and get straight to 275, which is less of a headache. Then take 275 all the way west to I-74 and use it to drop down to where you need to go. Don't try to fight 71 or 75 and you'll be fine!
Unfortunately they have about another year of roadwork they are doing on I-275 between Hamilton Ave/Colerain Ave to I-74. I think most of the lane closures are at night but traffic can still suck at times. The commute from Loveland to Oak Hills is probably 40-45 minutes without traffic. Throw in some construction disruptions and it will be longer.

Old 07-14-2015, 05:40 PM

1,716 posts, read 3,582,113 times
Congrats on the job! But like others have hinted at, do not move to Loveland!! You will very much regret it. I know there's that saying happy wife makes a happy life, but you need to put your foot down on this one. On average you'll be spending at least two hours a day in the car commuting. One of my high school teachers (Elder) actually quit after a few years because his commute from Loveland was taking away too much time from his family and was just flat out making him tired. There are a lot of really nice areas on the westside that you should check out. Once you give some more info on your price range, lot size, etc. I'd be glad to help you out as I said before.

Old 07-14-2015, 05:41 PM

1,716 posts, read 3,582,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Señor Slick View Post
Unfortunately they have about another year of roadwork they are doing on I-275 between Hamilton Ave/Colerain Ave to I-74. I think most of the lane closures are at night but traffic can still suck at times. The commute from Loveland to Oak Hills is probably 40-45 minutes without traffic. Throw in some construction disruptions and it will be longer.

Not to mention the area around the Rybolt exit continues to become more developed/congested, so it's not going to be an easy 5-10 minute drive once he gets off the highway.

Old 07-14-2015, 06:09 PM

1,584 posts, read 1,972,739 times
There's some beautiful homes in sections of Green Township out west. I just visited one of my wife's co-workers out there----I got a little turned around but it's not far from the Western Hills Country Club. And I agree the commute from Loveland is too far.

Old 07-14-2015, 08:22 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,976,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashes1 View Post
There's some beautiful homes in sections of Green Township out west. I just visited one of my wife's co-workers out there----I got a little turned around but it's not far from the Western Hills Country Club. And I agree the commute from Loveland is too far.
Just this evening I was out in the area of Delhi (near or possibly IN the Oak Hills SD) that has those big sprawling mid-century ranch houses on large, flat lots--not necessarily what the OP would want, but a neighborhood that I always think looks exactly like parts of Amberly. I would venture that many east-siders don't even know anything like that exists out there. (OP, Amberly is an older suburban neighborhood which I think most people would describe as upscale and prestigious.)

So happy so many of you are weighing in on the inadvisability of the Loveland commute. That's got to be one of the more disturbing ideas from a newcomer I've read on this board in a while!

Old 07-15-2015, 01:06 PM

124 posts, read 138,225 times
Update

Yesterday I accepted the Oak Hills job! I'm at JF Dulles Elementary. Now I got a find a home (prefer east side) but will look at West aside options to limit my commute. Several of the teacher slice in East. My principal makes a mason commute and says it is always around 45 minutes. I move up there by the 10th!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati