Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 10:18 AM

8 posts, read 92,413 times

Advertisements

I moved to Cincinnati at the beginning of August, and I haven't yet figured out the correct (or generally accepted as correct) spelling of the abbreviation for the city. I've most often seen "Cinty" in print, but I've only heard it pronounced as "Sinsee", so the abbreviation with the 't' doesn't make sense to me.

What's the consensus? Or is there a consensus?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2007, 03:10 PM

245 posts, read 1,272,602 times
"CINTI" is what you write down as an address or return address.
"CINCY" is what people who live in Dayton say when they refer to Cincinnati. If you're a local and you say "Cincy" people will think you're cheesy.
"CINCINNATI" is what you say when you actually live in Cincinnati.

Old 12-16-2007, 05:31 PM

3,763 posts, read 12,543,351 times
Well... I'm from Michigan, just moved here, and I've been saying Cincy - because again, that's how people say it when they're speaking.

I understand why people write Cin-ti, but can't understand then why people don't say "SIN-TI", instead of "Sin-See" as the other poster pointed out..

Old 12-17-2007, 07:29 AM

36 posts, read 276,770 times
Cincinnati was originally Losantisville but the first General assigned to this area, St. Claire, renamed it after his military society.

Losantisville is a conglomeration of French & other words meaning "Village across from the mouth of the Licking River".

The foregoing info, and $4.00, ought to get you a cuppa coffee 'bout anywhere.

BTW: If you have the correct Zip code, call it whut ever you like. I put: Clifton, Ohia 45220 as my return addy.

Old 12-17-2007, 08:00 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
YoMikey is correct, except for the part about Dayton. I've never heard anyone from Dayton say "Cincy."

And if you say "Cincinnat-uh," you will be shunned.

Old 12-17-2007, 09:28 AM

610 posts, read 3,318,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoMikey617 View Post
"...
"CINCY" is what people who live in Dayton say when they refer to Cincinnati. If you're a local and you say "Cincy" people will think you're cheesy.
In all my years, Mikey - I've never heard that one. All over Cincy, we called it Cincy in the 60's and 70's - and we had not yet acknowledged that there even was a Dayton, Ohio ... although we had begun to recognize Wright State at Fairborn.
Now, I will admit that those folks whose parents had immigrated from SE Ohio and the hills of WVA continued to use the slowly-drawled "CinCinNati" but it was also a time of new abbreviation - new words having just come into existence such as "CSN" CSN&Y" "CCR" and "'Nam", "BST" (for Blood Sweat & Tears), etc.
However, this wonderful abbreviation of Cincinnati by "Cin'ti" is absolutely outrageous! I don't know of anyplace else with such a misplaced apostrophe - and I think it's both, amazing and fantastic!
Now, somebody above wrote "CINTY" - I have never seen that one in my life until now ... but incidentally, "Cin'ti" is not pronounced - not spoken - but the Post Office seems to accept it.
And then, there's this old abbreviation of Columbus called "Cols" - I don't know if the PO accepts that one or not but I've seen it in print all through the years - don't understand it. Don't think you should be allowed to abbreviate anyplace that has no personality of it's own ... you'll notice that Cleveland has no such abbreviation (let me give it one right now, honorarily -"C-Land")
And I would like to personally thank "Cincy Jim" for the history lesson - it's rare for an Ohioan to get a proper education in history, the state deciding that we didn't need to know the truth about Kentucky winning Ohia land in the civil war (and Ind. land and Ill. land), among many other things "they" didn't want us to know. Cool Jim.

Old 12-17-2007, 10:54 AM

1,478 posts, read 5,082,292 times
It took me years to get it. I remember the spelling by breaking it down like this: say Cin-cin-nati. Some people (rappers) might also call it "The Nati." I don't think saying "Cincy" is too cheasy, it's a long name.

Old 12-17-2007, 11:11 AM

610 posts, read 3,318,852 times
There was a song way back - I think it was called "The Queen City Blues" - but I could be confusing that ... and the song taught us all how to spell it ... those of you that remember it ... sing it with me now ...
(d) C (f#)I (a)N
(a)C (f#)I (e)N
(d)N (f#)A (a)T (e)I

Anybody finding a link to that particular song, it sure would come in handy along about now!
They used to play it some on WSAI when A.M. was still cool - and before WEBN came full-throttle out of the underground.

Old 12-17-2007, 01:32 PM

526 posts, read 1,481,529 times
I personally prefer CINTI since it seems to be a more accurate abbreviation. I hate CINCY (apologies to CINCYJIM); it seems so flipant and informal.
Alothough it is not an abbreviation, if you hear the city pronounced as CINCINNATUH, you know he is an old timer.

Old 12-18-2007, 12:46 AM

292 posts, read 993,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtnr View Post
(d) C (f#)I (a)N
(a)C (f#)I (e)N
(d)N (f#)A (a)T (e)I
"That hellhole of sin, Cincinnati O HI."

That's about all I remember of the song.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati