Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 01:25 PM

1,716 posts, read 3,581,393 times

Advertisements

Valley Junction Tower, Cleves

St. Williams 1931

Price Hill Incline

Surf Club Western Bowl

Sedam St from River Rd, 1949

Sedam St facing River Rd, 1949

Shilito's September 1982

St. Theresa 1924

Queen City and Beekman before Viaduct

Shell at Glenway and Werk, 1990s

Red Barn in Cheviot, near Cone Zone

Queen City Ave

Pizza Hut on Westbourne 1972, now K-Dot's

North Bend Station, stood where Brower Rd bridge s today

McDonald's on Glenway 1970. Across from where Friday's is today

Methodist Church of Delhi, now Sayler Parker Park, Reveere and Rockaway

Harrison at Race, Tony's Market

Glenway and Texas Ave.

Inside Western Bowl

Holy Family Church 1884-1900

Glenway from First Ave

Glenway from Manns Ave

Harrison and Cheviot

Glenway 1974

Glenway Ave engine 24 and truck 10, late 60s, early 70s

Glenway 1970

Fergueson Rd bridge late 50s early 60s

Cheviot Yard near Korger, Werk Rd in the distance

Feather House in Harrison

Engine No. 7 1980 Ford Pisch 1000 GMP 750 Tank #PO04

Cleves Train Depot

Dent Auto Theater

Colerain at Kemper, Dunlap

[IMG]http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m481/TaurusSHO97/Old%20Westside%20Photos/Crows%20Nest_zps****gi07.jpg[/IMG]
Crow's Nest

Cleve's Flood 1907

Chuckwagon, now Western Bowl

Brokamp Building Materials, Muddy Creek

Bridgetown Rd, 1970

Bridgetown Rd, 1970 where bank is today

BBald Knob 1932

Bold Face Park, Sedamsville (where Pete Rose played growing up)

8th and Trention, 1963

8th Street Viaduct, 1920s

Addyston

Warsaw Ave, 1970s

1st and Heyward, 1925, St. Lawrence in extreme distance

More on my other computer that I'll post sometime soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2015, 03:34 AM

1,099 posts, read 1,143,440 times
The Lazarus family sure loved that glazed blue brick!

(Lima Mall)

The bricks were supposedly designed by famed designer Raymond Loewy. I think he also designed the Kroger logo still in use today.

Old 07-22-2015, 09:08 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times
That's Lee O'Connor's house looking from the Union 76 station at Bridgetown and Shady Lane. My friend got killed there by a hit-and-run driver walking home from playing basketball at Miami Heights.

Remembering...

Mircea

Old 07-30-2015, 02:12 PM

575 posts, read 1,370,372 times
Default photos you haven't seen before

American Luxury said I could add some of my own photos to this album of his. I'm placing two of them here of Elizabethtown and Hooven in August 1985. Since there are a number of photos you may want to view the rest of them at blogspot. I hope the link is allowed.
Skippercollector: 1960s 1970s 1980s photos
Some of the photos were taken by my parents and some by me, and some are from a yearbook. You'll be able to figure out which is which.

[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
Attached Thumbnails
Old Photos of the Westside of Cincinnati-elizabethtown-aug-1985.jpg   Old Photos of the Westside of Cincinnati-hooven-aug-1985.jpg  

Old 01-12-2016, 01:18 AM

1 posts, read 39,198 times
The picture of the Cheviot Yard that says it is Werk Rd in the background is not correct. That is Ferguson Rd. right next to Western Hills High School. If you look to the left you can see part of the Becker Discount Drug Store sign and that is Hilltop Concrete in the main part of the picture. Hilltop Concrete was basically behind Western Hills Builders Supply.
I am not trying to nit pick. I love all of the photos. I used to work at Cheviot yard, as did my dad and grandfather and an uncle.

The picture of the McDonald's says it was the second one in Cincy, near Muddy Creek. That was Sandy's Rest. and not a McDonalds. I thought the one at N.Bend near W. Fork was the first one, but I am not positive about that.
I bowled at Hoinke's on the second floor, above the supermarket. Anyone have a picture of Hawaiian Gardens on Glenway? How about one of Western Hills Plaza while it was under construction?
Again, I absolutely love the pictures and most are labelled correctly.

Old 08-19-2016, 09:05 AM

1 posts, read 20,805 times
do you have any pics from 1940's-1960's circa pertaining to lower Price Hill area ?
W.8th. st., ... State Ave.,... River Rd (W. 6th st.).... Neave St..... Burns st., etc! for instance....

Thank you ,

Old 08-20-2016, 08:53 PM

Default what was this fire?

I am hoping that someone can solve the mystery of this photo. My father shot this some time between August 1965 and April 1966. It was taken from the back of our home on Shady Lane Road in Miami Heights, looking southwest. The street is of the then-new subdivision on Southernwood Drive behind our house.

Over the hill down at the bottom are North Bend, the Ohio River and northern Kentucky. What was this huge fire? I don’t think it was the American Airlines plane crash in November 1965, because that was at night and that would have been east closer to Delhi and Constance, nor could it have been the TWA plane crash in November 1967.
Attached Thumbnails
Old Photos of the Westside of Cincinnati-1965-smoke-2.jpg  

Old 08-21-2016, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippercollector View Post
I am hoping that someone can solve the mystery of this photo. My father shot this some time between August 1965 and April 1966. It was taken from the back of our home on Shady Lane Road in Miami Heights, looking southwest. The street is of the then-new subdivision on Southernwood Drive behind our house.

Over the hill down at the bottom are North Bend, the Ohio River and northern Kentucky. What was this huge fire? I don’t think it was the American Airlines plane crash in November 1965, because that was at night and that would have been east closer to Delhi and Constance, nor could it have been the TWA plane crash in November 1967.
Looks like it's coming from where the Gulf oil refinery was. A quick search doesn't turn anything up in the newspapers, though. If you don't mind, I can post this on a facebook page that would likely know for sure.

Do you have any other pictures of the Miami Heights area? It would be cool to see since I live right around there. I knew the area used to be a cornfield owned by the Kraus' (where Wild Mike's is now), but I've never actually seen a picture until the one you just posted.

Old 08-21-2016, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasser View Post
do you have any pics from 1940's-1960's circa pertaining to lower Price Hill area ?
W.8th. st., ... State Ave.,... River Rd (W. 6th st.).... Neave St..... Burns st., etc! for instance....

Thank you ,

Only one I have is of the fire station that I posted earlier in the thread. I have some stuff pertaining to the incline, but the latest photo is from the early 1930's.

Old 08-22-2016, 03:44 PM

Default miami heights 1960 to 1966

I posted five photos taken between 1960 and 1966 of Miami Heights to my page at blogspot. These are the only outdoor distance scenes that I have. All of the others were taken either inside the house or just outside of it. I was unable to post the entire photo of the unidentified fire here at City-Data; however, you can see the full photo at blogspot.
You are welcome to post the fire photo elsewhere if you wish.
I have a suggestion on where to find old photos of Miami Heights. You might try the old Taylor High School yearbooks, especially the ads in the back that show storefronts.
Mary

Skippercollector: Miami Heights 1960-1966
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati