Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 03:15 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,134,640 times

Advertisements

The Mayerson JCC JCC: Home is also in the Amberley Village neighborhood near Reading (and even my little neighborhood of Hartwell) just to add to your list of areas to look at. There is also a nice synagouge in Wyoming on Springfield Pike (which is near Hartwell too). Good luck on your search!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2008, 06:49 PM

204 posts, read 744,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GManorborn View Post
As I recall, the retail building on Losantiville between Stover and Obermeyer's had Sobel's drug store, Klostermann's bakery, Boerger's dairy and one other store.

My friend's mom worked at Plotnick's drug store which was in the next block past the UDF. I remember Stanley's, Bucheims's and a hobby shop also in that building.
When I lived in Golf Manor {late 1960's until early 1980's}, the retail building between Stover & Obermeyer's had a Leist Real Estate office & a Grote Bakery, as I remember. There may have been a drug store. I thought the hobby shop was here, as well, but I may be wrong.

The retail strip behind UDF on Wiehe & Losantiville had Boerger's Dairy {and Plotnik's drug store & Stanley's Delicatessan}. Buccheim Bakery was diagonally across the street, on Wiehe, on the west side of the bowling alley.

Edit: Maybe the Leist Realty Office was in the back of Obermeyer's parking lot?

Last edited by soozycue520; 11-20-2008 at 06:52 PM.. Reason: Leist's locale

Old 12-05-2008, 01:25 PM

1 posts, read 3,812 times
does heat affect how fast a golf ball will travel when realesed from a catapult

Old 02-28-2009, 11:53 AM

27 posts, read 92,977 times
Box2565

Stanley's was the Jewish restaurant that also sold Kosher meats. Plotnick's was the Pharmacy. I've lived in GM since 1980 and my sister lived in GM since 1970. We're both still here on Vera. She moved to Boston for 17 yrs., but moved back here with me 4 years ago. GM has really changed. It use to be a wonderful place to live, but now the housing is becoming run down, businesses are pretty gone. United Dairy Farmers is the oldest business still here. The pool has been closed for years. The property taxes are the highest in the area. Crime isn't real bad here. We still have a wonderful police and fire department.

Old 03-26-2009, 03:17 PM

16 posts, read 51,084 times
I lived in Golf Manor back in the late 90s. It was my first house. It was an interesting mix--the Orthodox Jews, the Lithuanians who didn't speak English, the mixed-race couples, the white families who were pretty crammed in their tiny little houses. We moved to another part of town about two weeks before the Cincinnati Riots in 2001. In the short time we lived there, I thought it was going downhill. I no longer felt comfortable running in to the local UDF (a convenience store/gas station) because there always seemed to be groups of young men coming in and just looking/hanging around. My once-quiet street was starting to get a lot of people who liked to yell at one another from several hundred yards away. Several businesses in the area (on Section and Reading Rd.) closed. Someone got carjacked near The Cincinnati Gardens nearby. Someone was shot in a nearby hotel. There always seemed to be a cop car with its lights on. Going to church one Sunday I saw a man resisting arrest in/on the street we were on and said "enough." I've heard that the Catholic church closed. Don't know about the really nice nursery/garden center or Song Long Vietnamese restaurant--the only two things we missed when we moved. Maybe things have improved. I know the village council is trying but the crime was getting worse and that type of thing is hard to get rid of when it takes hold.

Old 03-26-2009, 11:37 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,825,930 times
The Catholic church (Our Mother of Sorrows) is scheduled to close in June. Its school had ceased operations two years ago, and is now a charter school. Song Long is still there and keeps packing 'em in. The only nursery/garden center I'm familiar with around there would've been Natorp's, which was on the other side of Bond Hill along Reading Rd. It was doing fine in that location - they had to shut down because they leased the property and the landlord (a church, so I'm told) wanted it for another purpose. Similarly, the Indian restaurant once called Udipi and now known as Amma's Kitchen is still adjacent to the Valley Shopping Center in the building which once housed the Fortune Kookie. And Roselawn Pharmacy isn't only hanging on, no small feat in this era of Walgreen's and CVS, it's getting ready to open its brand new freestanding store.
But the point raised is as valid as it is sad. Things have gotten so out of hand north of Summit Rd that someone advertising an apartment on Stillwell last fall was claiming that it's located in Golf Manor. Out of all the dozens of brick multi-family buildings on Losantiville, Reading Rd, etc few if any are not Section 8 conversions now. Recently there was a homicide in the Glenmeadow Lane complex, which along with Shona Dr and Joyce Lane (and of course the blessedly extinct Swifton Village) had once been a place where people put their names on waiting lists to get in. What keeps bad stuff happening isn't only the downgrading of rental housing, but also the sleazy bars and clubs that provide the "nightlife" along Reading and Seymour. Not only that, on Stover Ave no less, a prostitution ring was recently busted And two kids looking to buy weed were shot near Cincinnati Gardens, a crack house on Losantiville was raided, on and on it goes. The community council does wage an uphill battle, and what's even tougher to control than the crime rate is popular perception. Large portions of Roselawn and Golf Manor persist in being well-kept and pleasant places to visit and live. But every scary headline helps the public think differently.
I've half-jokingly said here before that "brick box" apartment buildings from the 1930's to '50s, with their garages out back and their picture-windowed living rooms, might become the next cool place to live. This doesn't seem likely, any more than it seems likely that Golf Manor's trademark houses (cramped Capes and bungalows) will be the trend after 2010. There's also next to no likelihood of very many middle-class families' being eager to put down roots in a community with atrocious educational options, let alone of Jews' resettling in their former stronghold. So, "Villages of Daybreak" notwithstanding, I think the nails are going to keep on getting hammered into the coffin of that area.

Old 04-10-2009, 06:25 AM

16 posts, read 51,084 times
Quote:
Song Long is still there and keeps packing 'em in. The only nursery/garden center I'm familiar with around there would've been Natorp's, which was on the other side of Bond Hill along Reading Rd.
Goyguy--
Glad to hear Song Long is still bringing them in. It deserves the business. I remember reading of those 'Best Of' issues of Cinti magazine that said if Song Long were located in a better part of town you'd have to make reservations. I love their menu. As for the nursery, I was thinking of Evers along Langdon Farm Road. They had more plants than 10 Lowe's or HD's. And cheaper. I know they used to be partners with the Cinti hot pepper club and have a ton of really exotic hot peppers you could buy. I could lose myself there for hours just soaking up the smells and textures. Those two places and French Park are what I miss most. I wish the village council well in trying to turn things around.

Old 06-11-2010, 09:44 PM

1 posts, read 3,052 times
When was Golf Manor a City?

Old 06-12-2010, 06:55 AM

4,888 posts, read 13,825,930 times
As far as I know Golf Manor has always been considered a village. In Ohio a municipality can't call itself a city until there are 8,000 residents. GM isn't large enough to hold that many people.
It HAS always been an entity unto itself, never part of the city of Cincinnati although there's a common border on three sides. But while it has its own municipal services, kids from there have always attended Cincinnati schools. That didn't used to be a bad thing - when a Woodward High diploma still meant something. Not gaining admission to Walnut Hills was always a setback to a GM kid, but not the end of the world, until the '70s. By then it'd gotten so bad in the community high schools that when the youngest daughter in a family of my acquaintance didn't pass the Walnut Hills exam her parents called a realtor and bailed out of the area. Similarly, when a home opposite that of friends in Wyoming went on the market a prospective buyer pounced during the first open house. After taking the tour, she was said to have remarked, "This is a very nice place, and it fits my needs perfectly. My daughter is 14, and I have to get out of Roselawn. What's the asking price?" - whereupon a check for that amount was written on the spot. Whether the horror stories out of Woodward are true or exaggerated, no one wants to compromise when it comes to the quality of education their child receives let alone the safety of the child. And when they have the means to do so, that translates into leaving the old neighborhood - no matter how much loved - behind. IMHO it's that more than anything else which has fueled the decline in the quality of life in the Golf Manor area; all the other negative realities followed behind the schools' downhill skid.

Old 07-27-2010, 01:25 AM

1 posts, read 2,951 times
There was a Boerger's Dairy in Madeira on the hill of Miami Ave in the 50s/60s. They made a fantastic smooth cottage cheese. I'm looking for the same c cheese now. I wonder if the dairy in Golf Manor was run by the same family. Are any Boergers still around? Wonder if I'm chasing a dream! A friend said they may have it at Silverglades in Findley Market. Haven't checked that yet. Any info would be greatly appreciated!! SF
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati