Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 09:16 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,825,930 times

Advertisements

I was jolted and saddened to find out tonight that The Vernon Manor closed at the end of March Its owners blamed "the economy" and two new Marriotts not far away for its demise. The only positive note is that the building isn't due to be demolished, but how it'd be re-adapted is anybody's guess. Last I'd heard about it was earlier in the year, when someone was shot ("not randomly") in front. Oak and Burnet ain't exactly Hollywood and Vine or even 5th and Vine, so it's not as though people are clamoring to be the first to own a condo there or claim office space.
Anyway...folks with memories of staying there, or harassing celebrities who stayed there, or holding/attending a life-event ceremony there, now have the chance to throw in their stories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2009, 01:51 PM

311 posts, read 1,752,823 times
Default Vm

I believe the Beatles stayed there during their first visit in
1965. I seem to remember Dusty Rhodes, then WSAI's
"Chief Beatle Booster", waking one of them up to get an
interview on the air.

We had dinner there one evening in the mid-1960's. As
a kid, what struck me was how old the crowd seemed to
be. Even then, the place seemed like the relic of a
different era.

The VM underwent a major facelift in maybe the late 1970's.
For a number of years thereafter, friends and I used to
hit their Sunday brunch when in town. It was good, but
pricey.

Of the area hotels that were neither downtown nor near
an interstate, it was probably the longest-lived.

Old 06-11-2009, 02:32 PM

204 posts, read 744,823 times
I worked there for ten years, until it closed. There were a lot of misconceptions about it, and, unless you were there, it hurts me when people say things they know nothing about.Not the two of you, but on Cincinnati.com, some of the comments were brutal, mostly from people that had never graced our doorstep.

MiddleCincinnati, our brunch was very reasonable at $19.95. For prime rib. made to order omelets, and two rooms of food, it was one of the best deals around. I understand that {like myself} some people cannot eat that much food at one sitting, and $19.95 is too much. For those people, an all-you-can-eat buffet may not be a good idea. But for those looking for a Sunday Brunch experience, the VM's brunch was an excellent value.

I definitely miss working there. Our staff was small and close-knit. We were, and still are, like family. And we treated our customers like family, as well. We went out of our way to make people feel welcome, and secure in their surroundings.

The hotel had just celebrated 85 years in business. A major remodel occurred in the late 1990's, as well as in the 1970's.

I have many, many memories, stories, etc. that I could share, but I could go on for days..... I will just say that if anyone has any questions, comments, or whatever, I will be happy to respond. I just hope there will not be any bashing of my beloved establishment.

Old 06-11-2009, 02:40 PM

204 posts, read 744,823 times
And, just as an FYI, the reason for the closing was not because our business was suffering. We were doing better than most hotels because of our small, comfortable atmosphere. There was much more at work than just how the hotel was performing.

Old 06-11-2009, 07:16 PM

295 posts, read 973,958 times
I for one would love to hear some of your stories. I bet you have some good ones to tell.

Old 06-11-2009, 09:00 PM

Ditto!
In terms of being a large hotel with some class but not downtown or near an expressway, I think only the Alms could've qualified as being in the same category. All the other older lodging places near UC are those dive establishments along Central Parkway: The Town Center Motel, the former Mohawk Motor Inn (now a Days Inn), the Travelodge, and - on the block formed by MLK Dr, Central Parkway, and West McMicken - the sketchiest place of them all which at times has publicly posted its hourly rates!
Soozy, I wouldn't let anything posted on cincinnati.com get to you if I were you. A lot of the people there are so bad that their phone numbers are probably blocked on Bill Cunningham's and Rush Limbaugh's radio programs.

Old 06-12-2009, 02:36 PM

17,543 posts, read 13,329,500 times
Same here soozycue. Tell us the stories. Or as Bill Cunningham says, "Give us a full report."

The Vernon Manor had class for a small property in a declining neighborhood.

We used to have dinner there all the time. Then, it wasn't as consistently good. Same with Sunday Brunches. Very good, in fact outstanding, for a long time. Then it became not very good. Although, we tried brunch again a little over a year ago and it was good again.

We spent 2 New Year's Eves at the VM. Dinner, dance and brunch. That was years ago. The first time was exceptional, the next year was blah.

You never knew who you would run into when you were there.

Old 06-13-2009, 04:46 AM

Who'd you run into?

Old 06-13-2009, 09:20 AM

17,543 posts, read 13,329,500 times
The Beatles, either Red Skeleton or Bob Hope (the other one at the Netherland Hilton-Omni), lots of local personalities and some state and local politicians.

Also, some sports figures

Old 06-16-2009, 05:58 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,465,092 times
I've thought for a long time that the Vernon Manor would make a pretty cool self-contained gay community. With permanent residences, offices, spa, restaurants, and a great night club. Everything is there except for combining rooms to make attractive apartments and solving the cooking on upper floors building code issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati