Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 04:21 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,744,788 times

Advertisements

I have been in town for week on business and have not been impressed with the nightlife/vibrancy of the city, including on the weekend. I normally live in Louisville but will be in Cincy a lot more for my job now. Anyways, any recs for some nice entertainment areas and the "nights" that certain bars are big? Like a different bar rec for each day of the week would be great. I am a mid 20s professional male looking for a similar scene. So far I have checked out Mt Lookout/Hyde Park, Mt Adams, and Downtown (including the levee across the river). Any specific bars in those areas and the nights the most people will be there? Or am I missing something by not looking more in the suburbs since I hear many young professional types also live in these areas?

Also, I would appreciate eclectic dining ideas, specifically the best Indian, Thai, Lebanese, Persian, African, Italian, Vietnamese, and steakhouses. Please, no chains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2007, 04:29 PM

No help from anyone? Surely Cincy has these types of places???

Old 10-14-2007, 05:40 PM

1,679 posts, read 2,543,042 times
If you are looking for a vibrant downtown atmosphere as you have in Louisville then you know by now that does not exist here in Cincinnati. I have been there twice and their downtown is awesome for your age group. Check out the Clifton area for Indian food and Jeff Ruby's to satisfy your steak cravings. This is one of the primary reasons why young people do not stay in Cincinnati, along with a shortage of significant job opportunities. I hope you will be able to enjoy one of the cultural food delights that you have mentioned before you depart from our city.

Old 10-15-2007, 08:36 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
Also, I would appreciate eclectic dining ideas, specifically the best Indian, Thai, Lebanese, Persian, African, Italian, Vietnamese, and steakhouses. Please, no chains.
Heh. You don't want to know about the best barbecue (Walt's) or soul food (Ollie's Trolley), burgers (Zip's Cafe) or veggie burgers (Tucker's on Vine in Over-the-Rhine)? Now them's eclectic.

*sigh* ... all right ... Ambar India on Ludlow Avenue in Clifton. Yum.

There used to be a diner on Calhoun in Corryville called Floyd's that had great Lebanese food. Dunno if it's still open. For general Middle Eastern food, try Mejana on Sixth Street downtown.

Best Thai is Ban Thai in Eastgate.

Italian ... I love Campanello's on Central Avenue, but like most good Italian restaurants, it has zilch atmosphere. Try Scotti's on Vine Street.

Old 10-15-2007, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaveno View Post
If you are looking for a vibrant downtown atmosphere as you have in Louisville then you know by now that does not exist here in Cincinnati. I have been there twice and their downtown is awesome for your age group. Check out the Clifton area for Indian food and Jeff Ruby's to satisfy your steak cravings. This is one of the primary reasons why young people do not stay in Cincinnati, along with a shortage of significant job opportunities. I hope you will be able to enjoy one of the cultural food delights that you have mentioned before you depart from our city.
Why all the negativity in the Queen City? Frankly, the architecture blows that in Louisville out of the water, its just it feels kind of....dead. Oh and dangerous in many parts. I feel like you can go in and out of bad areas whereas in Louisville I guess its more like, stay away from one end of town (west). Of all the cities I visit, I see the most potential in Cincinnati, but it is not living up to much of any of it. I noticed some new restaurants in downtown but they seem ok. I like Mt Adams but it seems kind of "clicky"? I don't know if that is the word but it seems like a lot of neighborhood taverns but no real "jumping places." The Pavillion was pretty cool I guess.

Any more food recs would be great. Louisville has a great foodie forum, and I guess I have been blessed:

LouisvilleHotBytes :: Index

Some guy started one for Cincy, but its small and not very active. Does anyone know of a similar site for Cincy? I know there are great eats here I think its just more spread around and less concentrated than Louisville.

Old 10-15-2007, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Heh. You don't want to know about the best barbecue (Walt's) or soul food (Ollie's Trolley), burgers (Zip's Cafe) or veggie burgers (Tucker's on Vine in Over-the-Rhine)? Now them's eclectic.

*sigh* ... all right ... Ambar India on Ludlow Avenue in Clifton. Yum.

There used to be a diner on Calhoun in Corryville called Floyd's that had great Lebanese food. Dunno if it's still open. For general Middle Eastern food, try Mejana on Sixth Street downtown.

Best Thai is Ban Thai in Eastgate.

Italian ... I love Campanello's on Central Avenue, but like most good Italian restaurants, it has zilch atmosphere. Try Scotti's on Vine Street.
Thanks, Ollie's is actually from Louisville:

Robin Garr's Louisville Restaurant Guide / Ollie's Trolley (http://www.iglou.com/restaurants/ollies.shtml - broken link)

The other recs sound great! Thank you. Oh oh before I forget, is there something like this in Cincy?

cafe 360

Basically a great 24 hour cafe that is cheap and locally owned. If there was a 24 hour hookah bar in Cincy that would be great too!

Old 10-15-2007, 10:58 PM

2,180 posts, read 5,421,662 times
Quote:
Why all the negativity in the Queen City?
Because people around here are so unbelievably sick and tired of the lack of progress that takes place in this "snail's pace" town. The reason why Cincinnati has so much potential, but doesn't live up to it, is because TPTB think the city should stay stuck in the early 1900's. Louisville is a MUCH more progressive city. ALL of Kentucky knows how to get stuff done. In the meantime, Cincinnati is bickering about what to do with that 10-year old vacant spot on the riverfront between the stadiums - all because a bunch of whiny crybabies don't want their view of the river blocked from downtown.

Ask yourself something.....why is it that outside of New York City, Cincinnati is the only major city in which it's tallest building predates WW2? Louisville is getting ready to start construction of it's new tallest - over 700' high - while Cincinnati has trouble getting some riverfront parking garages off the ground.

Last edited by Pathwalker; 10-15-2007 at 11:47 PM.. Reason: Wanted to insert a word to clarify something.

Old 10-15-2007, 11:22 PM

1,679 posts, read 2,543,042 times
I agree wholeheartedly-this city is always getting a bad rap, but that is because our progress continues to be stalled by people who are really not wanting to serve and meet the wants and needs of the people who reside in Cincinnati.

I love my city and I have lived here my entire life and I thought while young, Cincinnati was on the move. I saw many significant men and women from many ethnic groups who really made a difference in our city and cared about its people. This competitive and self-serving behavior has ruined this city, and I am not certain how long these conditions will exist.

I saw growth all over this city from the eastside to the westside and everything in between and beyond the major artery. I was very active in the communities in which I resided; and although change was to be expected I would have never thought we would have been in this stagnant condition.

Tom Sawyer said it best when he alluded to the fact that Cincinnati will still be going on as if nothing has happened and the rest of the world is gone.

Old 10-16-2007, 09:21 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
I live in Pittsburgh now, but when family and friends come to visit from Cincinnati, they're always impressed that for a similar city, things seem to be happening in Pittsburgh, while in Cincy they stagnate.

Old 10-16-2007, 09:44 AM

241 posts, read 1,335,707 times
Quote:
Any more food recs would be great.
This (http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6637 - broken link) thread from a forum on a site called roadfood.com contains a lot of good suggestions.

As for Cincinnati feeling kind of dead in the evenings, I would have to agree. Downtown pretty much rolls up its sidewalks at 5 pm (unless there's a baseball or football game). I generally just stick to Northern Kentucky. You'll find several interesting places to eat in and around Newport on the Levee. The Main Strasse area of Covington also has some great restaurants (I like both Chez Nora and DeFelice).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati