Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 12:26 PM

10 posts, read 45,659 times

Advertisements

We will be relocating from Missouri to Cincinnati soon. My husband will be working around Sharonville. I researched the area and am interested in Mason or Lebanon for us to live. I found a website that had new homes in Lebanon in a subdivision with a community pool (near Shakers Run Golf Course). This really seems like what we would like with having 3 daughters age 14,10,6.
I guess my question is are there areas like I described in Mason? We want to stay below 250,000. I know the schools in Mason are supposed to be better than Lebanon, but I think housing is more expensive in Mason. Am I right?
How do Lebanon schools compare to Mason? Thanks for any info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2007, 01:15 PM

3,763 posts, read 12,547,056 times
I don't know about Lebanon schools, I don't have school-aged children. However a LOT of the people I work with who live in the TOP suburbs for education (Mason, Westchester, Liberty Twp., etc..) still send their kids to private/parochial schools.

I will say that prices in Mason (especially for anything comparable to what you're looking at at Shaker Run will be quite a bit higher, as will property taxes.

good luck! that area's lovely. We decided on Monroe ourselves, but thought Shaker Run was cute.

Old 10-01-2007, 11:36 AM

21 posts, read 112,375 times
Default Try Landen

Hello,

You should look at Landen. Landen is south of Lebanon and East of Mason. It is in the Excellent rated Kings School district. It has cheaper taxes than Mason. Every neighborhood has access to a community pool. There are walking trails that go around Landen Lake and all over the community. It is close to shopping in Deerfield Township (which many people think is in Mason). Without the traffic in Mason.

Good luck

Old 10-01-2007, 12:08 PM

610 posts, read 3,319,536 times
Mason is a very unique town with interesting people. Oh, it's not all that - but is very close to Sharonville - especially depending on which part of Sharonville you're looking at.
Lebanon, on the other hand, is weird. Looks O.K. but is weird. The people seem very strange. It's also in Warren County and maybe that's part of the problem as Warren County is just not up to snuff compared to other counties around. Landen is nice - is in Warren County - but has become very spread out with new developments. You can have a Landen address, for example - but be closer to Maineville or Morrow or even Loveland. Maineville has the same thing going on as does Morrow.
Mason nestles you near West Chester. That's good. It's right next to parts of Sharonville - and I suppose that's good too. I lived in Landen, Sharonville, Morrow and Roachester on my last go-'round there. I prefer to stay away from Warren County. Compared to the other counties nearby, Warren is still in the '40's. But housing is a little cheaper. Just my opinion - but I would spend a little more on the home and stay away from Warren County. Also, the school districts around Sharonville, Mason and West Chester are the best in the entire area.

Old 10-01-2007, 01:58 PM

2,180 posts, read 5,421,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtnr View Post
Mason is a very unique town with interesting people. Oh, it's not all that - but is very close to Sharonville - especially depending on which part of Sharonville you're looking at.
Lebanon, on the other hand, is weird. Looks O.K. but is weird. The people seem very strange. It's also in Warren County and maybe that's part of the problem as Warren County is just not up to snuff compared to other counties around. Landen is nice - is in Warren County - but has become very spread out with new developments. You can have a Landen address, for example - but be closer to Maineville or Morrow or even Loveland. Maineville has the same thing going on as does Morrow.
Mason nestles you near West Chester. That's good. It's right next to parts of Sharonville - and I suppose that's good too. I lived in Landen, Sharonville, Morrow and Roachester on my last go-'round there. I prefer to stay away from Warren County. Compared to the other counties nearby, Warren is still in the '40's. But housing is a little cheaper. Just my opinion - but I would spend a little more on the home and stay away from Warren County. Also, the school districts around Sharonville, Mason and West Chester are the best in the entire area.
You're really going to need to clarify what you mean by Warren county being "in the 40's". I personally think it's a top-notch area to live in - the most scenically beautiful of all the counties in SW Ohio, and the economy there is quite strong. It's Ohio's playground, with great recreational areas, and overall the place is really growing. How anyone could think it's not "up to snuff" is beyond me.

Wooper68, I personally would pick Lebanon over Mason for the simple fact that it has more charm and history than Mason. It truly feels more like a quaint country town than Mason does. I have NOTHING against Mason AT ALL, mind you. I just prefer the feel and atmosphere of Lebanon. HOWEVER, that being said, the Lakota, Mason and Kings school districts ARE better, each one being rated as excellent.

Old 10-02-2007, 06:38 PM

WC, this will probably come down to personal opinion - but I'm going to try and walk thru your question:

I will agree that Lebanon is "quaint-looking". Matter of fact, just looking at it could make one think they were someplace else in the world ... expecting cobblestone streets. I'm talking about the actual downtown part. The rest of it is like anywhere else just about.
I really don't agree with you about Warren County being the most scenic of the SW counties. I grew up in Ohio and colleged in Cincy - I've seen a lot of pretty places there - none of them in Warren county.
I also don't have a clue of the "playground". What recreational areas? I assume King's Island (or whatever they're calling it this month) is in Warren - that's about all I ever saw there - although nice YMCA these days. Let's see, can't remember any lakes. The park system is pretty good but it's a great park-system all over the Cincy area. I'm just trying to figure if I've forgotten someplace neat.
My son finally got out of Warren county just a month ago - moved a little closer to Wilmington.
I'm glad you like it - and I'm not trying to dis the place - but I found Lebanon downright spooky! And South Lebanon even more so. And Morrow is like a WWII bombed-out town. I'll be glad to get these Warren county plates off the car next week!
Now, that being said, you're not the first person I've known that likes it there. My older friends out west of town in the Methodist project like it too. It's just, WC, I've been all around this country for years - and very few places "spook" me. Lebanon does as does Warren county. Maybe I'm just tuned in too well to that haunted hotel in town. Peace, Buckeye.

Old 10-02-2007, 10:33 PM

Quote:
WC, this will probably come down to personal opinion - but I'm going to try and walk thru your question:

I will agree that Lebanon is "quaint-looking". Matter of fact, just looking at it could make one think they were someplace else in the world ... expecting cobblestone streets. I'm talking about the actual downtown part. The rest of it is like anywhere else just about.
I really don't agree with you about Warren County being the most scenic of the SW counties. I grew up in Ohio and colleged in Cincy - I've seen a lot of pretty places there - none of them in Warren county.
I also don't have a clue of the "playground". What recreational areas? I assume King's Island (or whatever they're calling it this month) is in Warren - that's about all I ever saw there - although nice YMCA these days. Let's see, can't remember any lakes. The park system is pretty good but it's a great park-system all over the Cincy area. I'm just trying to figure if I've forgotten someplace neat.
My son finally got out of Warren county just a month ago - moved a little closer to Wilmington.
I'm glad you like it - and I'm not trying to dis the place - but I found Lebanon downright spooky! And South Lebanon even more so. And Morrow is like a WWII bombed-out town. I'll be glad to get these Warren county plates off the car next week!
Now, that being said, you're not the first person I've known that likes it there. My older friends out west of town in the Methodist project like it too. It's just, WC, I've been all around this country for years - and very few places "spook" me. Lebanon does as does Warren county. Maybe I'm just tuned in too well to that haunted hotel in town. Peace, Buckeye.
I honestly have no idea what your definition of "pretty places" is, then. It sounds like you have a personal issue with Warren country for some reason. Oh well.

The key to finding scenic areas in Warren county is to actually get out and LOOK. You have the Little Miami National Scenic river and gorge (which has great hiking and canoeing around the river area), as well as Caesar Creek State Park (you said no lakes? Have you BEEN to Caesar Creek?? ), and there are all kinds of pretty farm areas and other quaint places to see. Yes, there are pretty areas in Hamilton and Butler county, but I personally think Warren county has a unique feel to it.

I suppose you're right - this is just a matter of personal opinion.

Old 10-03-2007, 07:53 AM

21 posts, read 112,375 times
Default about Landen

I am concerened about the last post. First of all, I don't think we should knock other areas unless it is an actual issue, not an oppinion. But as to the statement that you should stay away from Warren Co. but look at Mason. At least part of Mason is in Warren Co. A good deal of it. And secondly, Landen has not grown. In fact you can not have a Landen address because Landen is not a city, it is a community only because we share a home owners association. If you live in Landen, your address is Maineville or a few may have Loveland. I just wanted to clear this up for you.

We lived in Sharonville and loved it. I don't think you could go wrong with any of the communities that have been mentioned.

Good luck

Old 10-03-2007, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCRob View Post
I honestly have no idea what your definition of "pretty places" is, then. It sounds like you have a personal issue with Warren country for some reason. Oh well.

The key to finding scenic areas in Warren county is to actually get out and LOOK. You have the Little Miami National Scenic river and gorge (which has great hiking and canoeing around the river area), as well as Caesar Creek State Park (you said no lakes? Have you BEEN to Caesar Creek?? ), and there are all kinds of pretty farm areas and other quaint places to see. Yes, there are pretty areas in Hamilton and Butler county, but I personally think Warren county has a unique feel to it.

I suppose you're right - this is just a matter of personal opinion.
Oh - I suppose Caesar Creek is in Warren county. Don't think I realized that. Gas-smelling, foul lake - basically no good for swimming - but if you like boating and polluting things, you're right and it does look pretty, you're right. Don't forget the gigantic crush of people in the summers and at the flea-market that sits right there too, preferred the other lake over by Clarksville but I can't recall which county that's in. The little Miami is a trash-hole. Lots of canoes and rafts floating over trash left by humans. It ... well, I suppose if you live back east, you take what you can get.
I'm not sure if my tastes are against Warren county in particular - I was so disappointed that Ohio was exactly the same as I'd left it 30 years before - except for one major problem - and it sure appeared more specific to Warren county than any county around - including Hamilton - but that town and the towns close to it are so full of meth-heads (some were relatives) that I've seen nothing like it in the country!
I had a lot of disappointments during that move (18 months worth) - but all were related to Ohio still being an unprogressive, police state with the same archaic notions and people-like-sheep being told how to think ... but that is not specific to Warren county.
Since I left last fall, I have made acquaintance with a few folks from there that I think I would like - but I sure didn't meet them while I was there! Oh, I met folks that I liked - fantastic folks - but none lived in Warren county. Please take this generally - I do not intend personal insult - but in Lebanon, South Lebanon, Morrow (the town, not the skirts) - the people absolutely were depressing and very scheming and childishly malicious towards others. Just 10 miles away from any of those town, the general attitude of the folks improved. Don't know the cause.
I've probably walked most inches of Warren county. I can remember when Lebanon was about 5 buildings, a few dwellings and several farm-houses - I only ever stopped thru there a couple of times in decades past. Ever since I left, I see someone propogating the seeming myth that it is inhabitable. I disagree.
But somebody has to live there, right? They may as well like it, right? Life isn't good when you hate where you live. That's why I moved.
Doesn't mean I don't like ya.

Old 10-03-2007, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Oh - I suppose Caesar Creek is in Warren county. Don't think I realized that. Gas-smelling, foul lake - basically no good for swimming - but if you like boating and polluting things, you're right and it does look pretty, you're right. Don't forget the gigantic crush of people in the summers and at the flea-market that sits right there too, preferred the other lake over by Clarksville but I can't recall which county that's in. The little Miami is a trash-hole. Lots of canoes and rafts floating over trash left by humans. It ... well, I suppose if you live back east, you take what you can get.
I'm not sure if my tastes are against Warren county in particular - I was so disappointed that Ohio was exactly the same as I'd left it 30 years before - except for one major problem - and it sure appeared more specific to Warren county than any county around - including Hamilton - but that town and the towns close to it are so full of meth-heads (some were relatives) that I've seen nothing like it in the country!
I had a lot of disappointments during that move (18 months worth) - but all were related to Ohio still being an unprogressive, police state with the same archaic notions and people-like-sheep being told how to think ... but that is not specific to Warren county.
Since I left last fall, I have made acquaintance with a few folks from there that I think I would like - but I sure didn't meet them while I was there! Oh, I met folks that I liked - fantastic folks - but none lived in Warren county. Please take this generally - I do not intend personal insult - but in Lebanon, South Lebanon, Morrow (the town, not the skirts) - the people absolutely were depressing and very scheming and childishly malicious towards others. Just 10 miles away from any of those town, the general attitude of the folks improved. Don't know the cause.
I've probably walked most inches of Warren county. I can remember when Lebanon was about 5 buildings, a few dwellings and several farm-houses - I only ever stopped thru there a couple of times in decades past. Ever since I left, I see someone propogating the seeming myth that it is inhabitable. I disagree.
But somebody has to live there, right? They may as well like it, right? Life isn't good when you hate where you live. That's why I moved.
Doesn't mean I don't like ya.
I have to honestly say I simply don't see things the way you do. And no, I don't wear rose-colored glasses.

BTW, where do you currently live?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati