Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2007, 11:18 PM

3 posts, read 18,448 times

Advertisements

I just graduated from college. I earned my two year associate degree. I am just about to turn 21 and am looking to move. I live near Akron right now. I was curious about a few things on Cincinnati.

1.) Employment. Good, bad, or ugly? Especially remember I'm only 20 and am entry - level in any job I go into

2.) Safety - Safe, semi-safe, or just downright horrible? I don't want to go to bed at night having the fear of gunshots go off. What are the good areas of the city, and what are the bad?

3.) People - After all , I'm single. Trying to find ways to meet a girlfriend eventually and start my own family. Cincinnati offer good ways to meet people, or is downtown just dying?

4.) Cost of living and job pay - Is the average apartment bill fairly expensive? Also, how about job pay? Good, bad? Surely I want to be making at least $12 an hour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2007, 08:07 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,455,280 times
I just graduated from college. I earned my two year associate degree. I am just about to turn 21 and am looking to move. I live near Akron right now. I was curious about a few things on Cincinnati.

1.) Employment. Good, bad, or ugly? Especially remember I'm only 20 and am entry - level in any job I go into

The job market is pretty good by Ohio standards although it really depends on what you have your degree in. If you have a healthcare related degree, you should be fine.

2.) Safety - Safe, semi-safe, or just downright horrible? I don't want to go to bed at night having the fear of gunshots go off. What are the good areas of the city, and what are the bad?

Cincinnati is like any other larger city. It has it's good and bad spots. The sketchier parts of town include OTR, parts of Avondale, Price Hill, parts of Bond Hill, parts of Walnut Hills, and Evanston. My favorite neighbohood in Cincinnnati is Pleasant Ridge. It's diverse, safe, and reasonably priced. It may be a bit family friendly for a young single person though. Clifton might be a good match for you as well. It's near the university and it's not completely crime-ridden like many will probably say. Everyone seems to like Hyde Park but I think it's overrated and expensive. Mt Lookout is the more affordable version of HP although it's still a bit pricy. Most people consider Mt Adams as the place to be. It's wicked expensive though.

3.) People - After all , I'm single. Trying to find ways to meet a girlfriend eventually and start my own family. Cincinnati offer good ways to meet people, or is downtown just dying?

Like most cites in Ohio, Cincinnati seems to be pretty insular. Unless you are really outgoing, it's going be hard to meet people here.

4.) Cost of living and job pay - Is the average apartment bill fairly expensive? Also, how about job pay? Good, bad? Surely I want to be making at least $12 an hour.

Cost of living here is pretty cheap IMO. You can get a decent apartment (maybe not with all of the amenities or in the hippest part of town) for about $450/month. Job pay here is better than a lot of Ohio cities but nothing to write home about. I have a BA and I started out making $8.43/hour. My second job started at $10.50/hour. It really depends on what you received your degree in. I know I would have started out with more if I had a more marketable degree. Good luck on finding your new home!

Old 09-12-2007, 10:01 AM

1 posts, read 7,119 times
Default Cincinnati is a wonderful town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuri80 View Post

1.) Employment. Good, bad, or ugly? Especially remember I'm only 20 and am entry - level in any job I go into Not too sure - I am a teacher.

2.) Safety - Safe, semi-safe, or just downright horrible? I don't want to go to bed at night having the fear of gunshots go off. What are the good areas of the city, and what are the bad? Good question! Singles love to live in the Hyde Park area of Cincinnati or nearby Norwood or Oakley (both are cheaper than Hyde Park).

3.) People - After all , I'm single. Trying to find ways to meet a girlfriend eventually and start my own family. Cincinnati offer good ways to meet people, or is downtown just dying? Downtown is re-vitalizing. Hyde Park is the place to be if you are single.

Cost of living is very good compared to other metropolitan areas.

Hope this helps! Welcome to Cincinnati!!!

Old 10-15-2007, 10:18 AM

3,982 posts, read 10,465,943 times
hows the singles scene for older people (30-40)?

Old 10-16-2007, 06:26 PM

7,082 posts, read 8,952,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuri80 View Post
Cincinnati has always been rated as one of the worst places to be single. My advice is to drop by the Newport Hofbräuhaus every now and then, there are always hot women there.

Old 10-19-2007, 06:39 PM

710 posts, read 3,047,993 times
this is a great place to meet young people; it is affordable and there are plenty of young proffessional groups.

Old 10-25-2007, 09:52 PM

83 posts, read 438,572 times
It is whatever you make of it...can be good or bad. Usually if you are good at meeting people where you currently are and are out-going then you won't have much problem having fun/meeting people anywhere...but the inverse is also true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
View detailed profiles of: