Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 10:04 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,346,203 times

Advertisements

I've got nothing about folks moving from Chicago to the suburbs. Makes sense for a lot of reasons for a lot of people. The NUMBER ONE WITH A BULLET reason that the OP is probably considering Naperville is that her spouse has been offered a job in Aurora. Frankly if I had to work in Aurora then Naperville would be close to the top of my list too, with Geneva running very close and some other towns right in the hunt too -- driving from parts of Wheaton or other towns might be everybit as easy as driving from parts of Naperville... OTOH the north shore would be ridiculously long commute -- probably would be easier to stay in River North!

I still have some concern that some one might be making a huge decision with seemingly poor/ little information. The OP mentions the "amazing reputation" of Naperville schools. In comparison to WHAT? And which schools in Naperville? Honestly there are SEVERAL Chicago Public Schools that blow away ANYTHING in suburbs. Now I am not going to lie and say that it is easy or even likely that one can get their kids into that school but I bring this is up as but one example of the thinking that I do think propels many people into the burbs... As I have expounded on before, I have issues with many of the rating for schools, but for people I've debated they generally can at least cite something other than 'reputation'...

As far as other concerns, I completely understand the traffic in Chicago, River North is certainly has some of the highest traffic volumes in the City, but a lot of that is because of the Ohio St. ramp, whereas the traffic in Naperville, be it on Rt 59 or Downtown, is heading to some destination, messing up not just the ability to get through an area, but meaning that much preplanning has to go into considering whether the hassle is even worth it as the shopping at Rt 59 is likely to be as crowded at anything on Elston or Clybourn and the attraction at the Riverwalk/Centennial Beach is going to be about as jammed as Oak St...

Anyhow, the reality is that an town with more than a handful of people in it IS going to have some traffic issues that DO effect one's ability to enjoy living in the town. Further there ARE a whole range of really nice places to live, some of which ARE very convenient to working in Aurora and others that are not.

It makes a lot of sense to weight ALL the pluses and minuses of as many towns as possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2008, 10:16 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,363,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
As far as other concerns, I completely understand the traffic in Chicago, River North is certainly has some of the highest traffic volumes in the City, but a lot of that is because of the Ohio St. ramp, whereas the traffic in Naperville, be it on Rt 59 or Downtown, is heading to some destination, messing up not just the ability to get through an area, but meaning that much preplanning has to go into considering whether the hassle is even worth it as the shopping at Rt 59 is likely to be as crowded at anything on Elston or Clybourn and the attraction at the Riverwalk/Centennial Beach is going to be about as jammed as Oak St...
Dang, thats a huuuuuuuge/looooooong sentence!

Old 06-23-2008, 10:35 AM

13 posts, read 65,817 times
I think our decision to move to Naperville was our feeling that it had the most to offer based on what was important to us. Chet is absolutely correct that my husband's decision to take a position in Aurora was the overriding factor to look at the western suburbs. I think perhaps people have a bias against Naperville sometimes, thinking it is the obvious choice, and wanting others to realize other western suburbs have as much, if not more, to offer than Naperville. I respect that. Chet, once again you make a valid point regarding schools in Chicago. There are indeed quality schools here. My husband is a product of the CPS system and he didn't turn out too bad, completing two different medical residencies! In choosing Naperville we looked at a number of resources including the 2007 Illinois school report card. It compares all high schools in the state, grammer schools to other grammer schools and so on. Out of 37 schools listed for Naperville, only 2 did not receive the highest ranking of 4. You can look up the results at Chicahotribune.com. No place will be ideal in all areas. However, we have settled on Naperville and look forward to establishing roots there. We have also decided on renting for a year as our place in Chicago will be easier to rent out then to sell. Without the added stress of looking to buy in the next few months, we think we can find a place close to downtown Naperville and take the next year to figure out where we want to buy.

Old 06-23-2008, 10:40 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,615,463 times
Well you sound very well-educated about what you want and good luck to you!

Old 06-27-2008, 07:01 AM

137 posts, read 549,475 times
Truly, both North and South Naperville offer wonderful opportunities. South provides newer and larger homes at a "relatively" lower cost. North provides older homes, entrenched neighborhoods as opposed to subdivisions, and close proximity to town, tollways and trains, but at a higher cost.

You mention that one of you is a physician and one is a business owner. I would ask then, where both of you will be working? Based on that I would make recommendations as to the areas you should be looking at.

Ultimately it all comes down to "quality of life". As you mentioned your disdain for sitting in traffic in the city, no enjoys sitting in traffic anywhere. There are fantastic options throughout Naperville, but starting your search based on avoiding traffic would be a good place to start.

Old 06-30-2008, 07:45 PM

23 posts, read 62,597 times
Jacquieoh, My wife and I lived in Lincoln Park, River North and Wildwood/Edgebrook (NW Side). We left the gorgeous Wildwood (best area in the city) for South Naperville in 2003. IMO, it was the best thing we did. (We did leave 100 year old oak trees for 10 year oak trees.)

My kids have tons of friends and there are a ton of things to do in and around Naperville. I am giving them a childhood like my wife and I had.

We live in 204 and love our grade school. The teachers are great and I couldn't be happier with them. If we stayed in Wildwood we were looking at 17 years of private school for 2 kids plus Chicago property taxes. This makes paying property taxes much easier to pay here.

People complain about Naperville traffic. Traffic here is a breeze compared to the Kennedy or North Ave. I commute by the BN everyday. It takes a hour for me from house to office and about an hour 5-10 minutes home.

Now please remember FairMarketValue has never even stepped foot in South Naperville. She is highly biased. She says she favors downtown but posted about the vodka bottles and bums that live on the Riverwalk. BTW that was an outright lie. Hopefully FMV can let her hatred go. It really isn't healthy.

If you like anymore info please PM me. I would be happy to talk more about south Naperville if you like.

Don't pass on south Napeville, we were very surprised what we found and couldn't be more happy.

One more thing
When my wife and I were DINKs in the city , we used to mock Naperville and ask if we need a passport going there. When we got the welcome gift from the Chamber of Commerce, it contained a Naperville passport. We couldn't stop our laughter. We, now, feel Naperville is a great place to raise kids.

PS. I still won't go to Ribfest. And as soon as my youngest graduates in 20 years, we are headed back downtown.

Last edited by SouthNapervilleDad; 06-30-2008 at 07:54 PM..

Old 07-01-2008, 09:47 AM

945 posts, read 1,987,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthNapervilleDad View Post
Jacquieoh, My wife and I lived in Lincoln Park, River North and Wildwood/Edgebrook (NW Side). We left the gorgeous Wildwood (best area in the city) for South Naperville in 2003. IMO, it was the best thing we did. (We did leave 100 year old oak trees for 10 year oak trees.)

My kids have tons of friends and there are a ton of things to do in and around Naperville. I am giving them a childhood like my wife and I had.

We live in 204 and love our grade school. The teachers are great and I couldn't be happier with them. If we stayed in Wildwood we were looking at 17 years of private school for 2 kids plus Chicago property taxes. This makes paying property taxes much easier to pay here.

People complain about Naperville traffic. Traffic here is a breeze compared to the Kennedy or North Ave. I commute by the BN everyday. It takes a hour for me from house to office and about an hour 5-10 minutes home.

Now please remember FairMarketValue has never even stepped foot in South Naperville. She is highly biased. She says she favors downtown but posted about the vodka bottles and bums that live on the Riverwalk. BTW that was an outright lie. Hopefully FMV can let her hatred go. It really isn't healthy.

If you like anymore info please PM me. I would be happy to talk more about south Naperville if you like.

Don't pass on south Napeville, we were very surprised what we found and couldn't be more happy.

One more thing
When my wife and I were DINKs in the city , we used to mock Naperville and ask if we need a passport going there. When we got the welcome gift from the Chamber of Commerce, it contained a Naperville passport. We couldn't stop our laughter. We, now, feel Naperville is a great place to raise kids.

PS. I still won't go to Ribfest. And as soon as my youngest graduates in 20 years, we are headed back downtown.
SouthNaprevilleDad,
Is there a reason you picked MY POST out of all others, and suggested I was the only one who had a bias? I believe my post was NOTHING BUT RESPECTFUL of Naperville and even suggested it was a great choice. All postings suggested north and central are better choices than south, based on traffic, proximity to downtown, and yes, dist. 203 vs. 204. I believe I said both were good.

So I am wondering what YOUR problem is. My reference to vodka bottles was in defense of WHEATON and the prairie path, where another posting on different thread suggested the homeless population was the culprit. I merely suggested that all downtowns have homeless and that the vodka bottles could perhaps be from the college students, who DO use areas of the riverwalk to drink- no big deal, we were all in college once. So you took that one completely out of context.

As you have constantly accused me of "bashing" Naperville, I am now convinced that it is you who has a very defensive attitude in the justification of your community choice. I have repeatedly praised Naperville, especially certain parts. I'm sorry if South Naperville is the 3rd best part of it. Naperville is HUGE, and your denial of that is strange.

As for "never stepping foot" in S. Naperville, you could not be more wrong. We even contimplated a move there back in 1999 and spent several weekends driving from Wheaton to S. Naper, looking at homes. But after research of schools (204) and commute, decided against it and stayed in Wheaton, knowing we were not getting as much house as we would have in S. Naper and respecting why that was. Also, one of our children plays golf, in a variety of junior golf tournament venues in the Chicago area, S. Naperville included. I believe I mentioned 2 golf clubs/areas that I refered to as "beautiful" in S. Naperville. But year after year, the drive to get there becomes worse and worse, not only to the Naperville courses, but to go through that part of the "fox valley" area to get to the others that are further west . We have commented, each time we go, how glad we are we did not decide to move there as it would have been a NIGHTMARE commute for my husband to his job. I don't know where you work but an 1-1.10 is impossible to believe unless you are "door to door" from public transportation on both ends. And believe it or not, many would NOT consider spending 2+ hours a day, a "breeze" of a commute!

It blows my mind that after all was calm in the Wheaton/Naperville debate, you chose my post to argue over. Maybe you should read some of the others. Mine is mild in compairison. Again, as I was speaking of Wheaton vs. Naperville, on a different thread, this person was asking questions/opinions of both N vs. S Naperville.

As for you and your wife giving your children a childhood like you own, and them having lots of friends; You are definately in your own little world down there in S. Naper if you think that isn't the "way of life" in most all these affluant suburbs- ours included. Some of us are providing an even "Better" life than we, as their parents, had. So get off the defensive and stop wasting these threads, picking fights with my opinions and statements. Especially this time around, completely uncalled for! This person clearly has settled on Naperville and has asked opinons on which areas are best. I think it a fair vote, among all the opinions on this thread, that N wins over S and the very respectful reasons as to why. I believe she/he said in their latest post that they had "been leaning towards downtown" and "willing to sacrafice space for location". I think this sums up what we all know about N. vs. S, and why houses are more expensive for older, less sq. footage. in N than in S. ie; SCHOOLS AND LOCATION! No one, including me, said south naperville was bad. It has beautiful homes, large ones at that, but not in the same catagory as the downtown area which resembles all the other western suburbs and on a much larger scale, at that.

By the way, we sold our home, in case you care. Two houses in Wheaton, no more-yea! Hope you've let go of some of the resentment you seem to have towards other suburbs and are happy to hear the real estate market is looking better, in our western suburbia of Chicago! I think often of the family that moved here from California and narrowed down their house search to ours, in Wheaton, and the one they bought in S. Naper. They got more "pop" in a house, for the $, no question. But I wonder now, if they are miserable with the husbands' commute to Arlington Heights, every day, and if they are sorry they didn't weigh more than just "which house had more bells and whistles!". This affects things greatly, when it comes to family time and making it home in time for all of those wonderful things your side of Naperville has to offer, including your childrens' baseball, soccer, school programs, etc., etc., etc.,. I bet they get it now. That is really how this whole arguement began in the first place-remember? Take Care and have a happy life, please!

Old 07-01-2008, 11:24 AM

Wow, aren't we a little over reactive. I have NEVER spoken bad of another area. Go ahead and check my posts. You however have consistantly dumped on my area and I have had enough of it.

You don't know my area or my schools so that makes your opinion on them worth squat.
Quote:
We even contimplated a move there back in 1999 and spent several weekends driving from Wheaton to S. Naper, looking at homes.
Wow, your knowledge of South Naperville can be compared to using 1988 Eurpoean Travel Guide for this summer's trip.

Quote:
Some of us are providing an even "Better" life than we, as their parents, had.
Good for you. My parents gave me a good life and I have no reasons to try and out parent them.

Quote:
By the way, we sold our home, in case you care. Two houses in Wheaton, no more-yea! Hope you've let go of some of the resentment you seem to have towards other suburbs and are happy to hear the real estate market is looking better, in our western suburbia of Chicago! I think often of the family that moved here from California and narrowed down their house search to ours, in Wheaton, and the one they bought in S. Naper. They got more "pop" in a house, for the $, no question. But I wonder now, if they are miserable with the husbands' commute to Arlington Heights, every day, and if they are sorry they didn't weigh more than just "which house had more bells and whistles!". This affects things greatly, when it comes to family time and making it home in time for all of those wonderful things your side of Naperville has to offer, including your childrens' baseball, soccer, school programs, etc., etc., etc.,. I bet they get it now. That is really how this whole arguement began in the first place-remember? Take Care and have a happy life, please!
Please point out my resentment for other areas. I like to see those posts

You know that family that passed on your house. Maybe they are happy. Maybe their kids have more friends then they ever had.

I pray that one day you can see that people can be happy where they choose to live, even in South Naperville.

BTW, NPD Soccer games in Naperville are on Saturdays so Dad will be there. With you being in Wheaton , I didn't expect you to know that

Last edited by SouthNapervilleDad; 07-01-2008 at 11:32 AM..

Old 07-01-2008, 12:53 PM

945 posts, read 1,987,603 times
Wow, second time you've brought up your children having so many friends, now in reference to the family from Cal. Did we have issues with this as a child? I have no doubt that they are happy in their choice(the fam. from Cal.), where their childen are concerned- dad's commute to Ar.Hts.? Doubt it. And soccer games, yes, Sat. here too, (until they get into HS.) but baseball on weeknights, swimming, some weeknights, and school programs- weeknights. I guess it depends what each families children are involved in.

Anyway, sounds like you are the one who is over reactive. I think the proof is in the ink, between our posts back and forth. You clearly did not read my last one, where I gave specific examples of why MANY think they way they do. And again, didn't "dump on your area" and am curious where you see that, too. But anyway, again, I will say that I am sorry you are so defensive and offended against anyone who points out anything negetive about S. Naper. I just don't understand out of all the posts on this thread, you picked my OPINIONS out, and didn't repremand all the others for the same!

As for compairing to a 1988 travel guide?! I said 1999, and that we go there, several times from April to Oct. including this year to current month, for our son's golf tourn. and that traffic has become MUCH WORSE(ie; than 10 yrs ago), with all the build-up, as each year goes by. I find it curious you did not respond to the positive aspect of us almost moving there, from Wheaton, and proof that I don't "DUMP" on your area! Funny how you did not respond to most of the other stuff I said. I'm sure you're happy, we're happy, and everyone, including the person who inquired about OPINIONS on N and S Naperville, are happy! So incredibly defensive!!! Glad your kids have all of those friends and I sure will not waste anyones reading time talking about how many mine have- it's irrelevant. Whew- how that relates to all we argue about? I have no idea! I mostly point out that S. Naper is very, very different than central and North and that when people speak of it, they refer, most of the time, to the part near downtown. Same with all the "write-ups" as being a great place to live. It is, I'm quite sure. But to be naive enough to think that all parts of Naperville deserve credit for it? Naive, definately. As another poster put it, "Naperville is made up of many distinct zones and far more that are south, way south, and omigawdisthistheozarks south". Am I at fault for that one too? It is what it is, whether you think my opinions are worth "squat" or not.

Old 07-01-2008, 01:17 PM

I guess you didn't get the 1988 reference at all. Go check the history books for what happened a couple of years later in Europe and you will get it.

I have no doubt kids all over suburbia make lots of friends. The original poster lives in the city like we did. Finding other kids around my children's age was quite a task. It consisted of a lot of playgroups.

South Naperville was a breath of fresh air to have my children run out the front or back door and play with 10 other kids in her age group. The adults are in our age group (Alot are former city dwellers like us, talking about our younger days of hanging at Neo, Burwood Tap, days at the Beach playing volleyball and the such).

The downside is in about 7-10 years when all these kids are in their teens. There will be more drama then we can stand. LOL.

People pick places that are most comfortable for them. It doesn't make one area better or worse. We picked South Naperville because it gave us almost everything we were looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs