Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 02:53 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,780,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtercupMcToots View Post
Thanks for the updates.
You're very welcome, BUT this just in...

Occupy Your Capitol National Event -Oct. 29th 12pm-3pm - Wall | Facebook
The protest has now been expanded/ inclusive as protest Capitol national event. In other words people don't have to kill themselves driving to DC or worry about conflicts of interest. They can register their displeasure/ grievances by going to their respective state Capitols to echo the sentiments intended for DC & recent abusive practices implemented by local authorities scattered across the country.

Occupy your Capitol protest
Saturday, 29 October 12pm- 3pm, State Capitol

This idea was posted after the local general assembly meeting and the official vote of consent from the occupiers has yet to occur, but it's a pretty safe bet they will. Even if they decided against it, those who support 99%/ Occupiers/ Coffee party/ Citizens Intervention are free to vote with their own feet in whatever direction they choose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2011, 04:04 AM

Default Thanks

A recent local radio interview: Occupy movement sets up camp in Charleston - WVPubcast.org
I can corroborate every word is true even if it's very brief. Old and young are there. Dylan in real life is a very level headed lanky young man. He's hoping to perhaps go to a trade school or find an apprenticeship to pursue, but in what profession when there's no economy? He's worked a long series of dead end jobs going nowhere fast. He's a military son and minimum wage does not cover the cost of working for a living (phone, car, gas, insurance, apartment).

Maggie is a professor who just couldn't stand watching this ongoing nightmare & doing nothing. I can most certainly relate to her feelings. Having lifted my own self out of poverty & spending most of my life reaching back into the community to encourage people in poverty into a productive direction- the 1% have declared me a liar in the eyes of these kids. Maggie is a gutsy lady. She could have played it safe but safe in a gilded cage isn't safe. Her voice is wore out from a cold in that audio. The neighbors & outliers of Charleston are supporting the movement with smiles, words of encouragement, donations of camping supplies & food...

Lots of thanks to go around and few opportunities to say so out loud. First I want to thank the occupiers themselves. Their personal sacrifices to stand up for their country mean just as much to me as my brothers and sisters in arms abroad. Freedom isn't free.

Thanks so much to the Pentecostal church bringing sandwiches by on Sunday, the invitation to dinner from the Lutherans, St Johns Church with bags of food, and the 1st Presbyterian Church shocked and awed everyone with an entire shopping cart full. An unknown/ anonymous food pantry donated a box, and there remains an open door at the Covenant house to use shower facilities. Thanks also goes out to anonymous individuals offering their homes for the same. If I'm not mistaken, most of the tents & blankets on the occupy site have been donated by anonymous individuals.

Thanks to whomever that was (I missed your name) bringing their whole birthday cake to sit down and share. Thanks to the 'foster moms' driving up to volunteer to do laundry services & bringing covered hot dishes. Thanks James for committing 2 days a week for hot meals. Beans and cornbread that could not be beat. People have driven from hollers all around. Chloe, Pinch, Logan, and places I forgot to ask or wasn't around to know.

Thanks Chris R. who donated her military sleeping bag.
Thanks Michelle W. for the brownies & to Ivy for the wonderful cinnamon cookies- everyone loved them.
Thanks Jeffrey A. for regularly supplying fresh water.
Thanks Jodi M. for the snacks and markers/ poster board supplies.

Thanks to the Mayors former opponent, Janet JT Thompson for McD's and Gino's delivery.
Thanks to the previous sitting Mayor for his support of the movement.
Thanks to the current Mayor's office & the police department for being reasonable thus far. I hope that remains consistent as evidence of a fully functioning democracy alive and well in the state of West Virginia. Honest citizens should have no cause to fear their government.

Thanks to the local businesses from Town Square Mall all the way down Capitol street... I won't mention their specific names until I get permission from them, but many of them have donated their support. One or two right from the start in Haddad park.

Thanks also goes out to some state, county, and local employees who refrain from participating in rally's out of feelings of conflict of interest or fear of political reprisals. You're tax payers & voters too. Thanks for your donations and words of encouragement.

Old 10-28-2011, 05:47 AM

1,981 posts, read 5,989,661 times
I wouldn't be too surprised if corporate America isn't putting pressure on the mayors and police chiefs to "crack" down and smother out this problem. It was all peaceful at first, then the police started getting violent and then you have the ex-Marine getting hit in the head with tear gas, etc. It's outrageous. If I was a cop, I'd be right there with them protesting. They've been screwed just as much by this oligarchy as the rest of us.

Old 10-28-2011, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaHerdOn View Post
I wouldn't be too surprised if corporate America isn't putting pressure on the mayors and police chiefs to "crack" down and smother out this problem. It was all peaceful at first, then the police started getting violent and then you have the ex-Marine getting hit in the head with tear gas, etc. It's outrageous. If I was a cop, I'd be right there with them protesting. They've been screwed just as much by this oligarchy as the rest of us.
Agreed. If you're being told you're wrong for going straight, wrong for going left, wrong for going right, it's not the people who are wrong. It's the marching orders dictated by individuals in authority too far removed from our constitution. People Holding Signs Are Not Considered Part of the Public-According to Chicago PD (http://www.supportows.org/ows-news/people-holding-signs-are-not-considered-part-of-the-public-according-to-chicago-pd/ - broken link)
Quote:
In Chicago tonight, protesters have been informed by the local PD that they do not represent the public because they are holding signs and therefore have no right to the use of public spaces. Protesters are being forced to march in circles or face being ticketed for trespassing on public property.
Can you imagine if one tablespoon of this was inflicted on the Tea party? Outrage from them? As per usual... ::crickets::: (and 'nuisance' complaints to the PD)? I heard complaints against the Atlanta occupiers accusing them of being communists. If the accusers had a clue about totalitarian Russia, they'd realize it is they who are the offenders of liberty resorting to the very totalitarianism that made Russia a nightmare. The accusers are the guilty, not the accused. Communism, like purist ideology worshiping free markets, are equally unicorns. Neither exist in reality for more than a few seconds before vultures dive in for their power grabs. That's why regulations exist. That's the wisdom behind checks and balances.

This is an opportunity for local governments and states to don the mantle of leadership they were tasked and establish reasonable citizen friendly protocols for redressing grievances. Most of the judges across America are throwing out the charges for arrests. Others are refusing to sign bench warrants or whatever you call it giving local governments permission to arrest protesters.

Old 10-28-2011, 03:32 PM

The most recent media coverage... City accommodates Occupy Charleston protesters . . . for now - Kanawha County - Charleston Daily Mail - West Virginia News and Sports -
Quote:
CHARLESTON, W.Va. - Occupy Charleston protesters may be wearing out their welcome with city officials.

A performance by a traveling troupe of fire dancers Wednesday prompted a visit from Mayor Danny Jones, who told the group they cannot stay encamped at Davis Park forever.

Jones, along with City Attorney Paul Ellis, Chief of Police Brent Webster and mayoral assistant Rod Blackstone, who has been the city's liaison with the protesters, went to Davis Park Wednesday afternoon after receiving several nuisance complaints.
Here are more facts of the story unreported that created bias. None of the occupiers in Davis Park tweeted or dialed 1-800-firedancing troupe inviting them. As far as anyone knows these individuals volunteered this performance of their own volition unpaid to register their support of occupiers. Furthermore, are firedancers performing in a public space at no expense to the community a nuisance to Capitol street businesses. Or did it attract business at no expense to them?

The several nuisance complaints... by whom? Folks do have a right to know who their accusers are in America and the good neighbor policy was in effect to prevent the city being burdened with nuisance calls. The only thing the occupiers are aware of as being problematic as a result of this meeting with the mayor was a kid skateboarding (which is apparently illegal anywhere within city limits) and a dog off it's leash.

As for access to built in electrical outlets for coffee pots- they requested an electrical audit so they might cover any cost the city might incur. That request was unanswered so far.
As for the porta potty- yes, that was generous of the city to volunteer it because it was a reason why Haddad park was chosen in the first place. I don't mind it being paid for in my taxes, but if others do, will permission be granted to simply pay the reduced cost negotiated by the city directly to the city? How Much Does It Cost to Rent Portable Toilets? Free Porta Potty Prices and Estimates
Quote:
When you help portapotty services decrease their costs they can pass down some of those savings. Therefore, you may be able to keep a portable toilet on site for $100 to $300 per month per unit if you sign a long term contract for multiple units, as long as the units only need to be cleaned once a month or so. The more attention they require the higher the cost.
It's a given this can't go on forever. Neither can the 1% without killing America, or worse, hastening a global depression crippling all of western civilization. This protest from the occupiers is not infinite anymore than their lives are. There's no guarantee they'll be able to endure winter in a tent here or anywhere in America. Reality should be their greatest obstacle to follow through on a voluntary commitment of personal sacrifice. Not their government.

Old 10-28-2011, 03:37 PM

As i was writing all of the above....
This was posted on facebook by the administrator:
Quote:
the city of charleston has decided to kick the occupation out of the park. They are turning the lights off and re-instituting curfew that up until now they have been over-looking. We believe that this is a direct assault to our 1st amendment rights. We have been nothing but peaceful and law-biding. There is no reason for this other than we have someone scared of change. They will arrest anyone in the park after curfew according to the city...please come and help us! Attention! All occupations of west virginia! Call to action!!!

Old 10-28-2011, 04:16 PM

Exclamation Abuse of authority

Quote:
"The citizens of the U.S. are responsible for the greatest trust ever confided to a political society" ~James Madison
Why are government forces impeding the responsibility of citizens?

Quote:
"... You are a den of vipers and thieves. I intend to rout you out, and by the grace of the Eternal God, I will rout you out." -- President Andrew Jackson, upon evicting a delegation of international bankers from the Oval Office
So I ask every mayor, police chief, and judge across America, which now unfortunately INCLUDES DANNY JONES MAYOR OF CHARLESTON; WHY are you impeding citizens, defending high end criminals with no allegiance to this country and evicting the very principles being defended from present tense history? Why are you evicting Andrew Jackson to appease special interest 1% above the law who caused this economic mess in the first place?

There was already an answer to deregulation (the true anarchists are the 1% accusing their victims of anarchy) in 1896:
Quote:
I was passing through Iowa some months ago, and I got an idea from some hogs. [Laughter.] ... As I was riding along I noticed these hogs rooting in a field, and they were tearing up the ground, and the first thought that came to me was that they were destroying a good deal of property. And that carried me back to the time when as a boy I lived upon a farm, and I remembered that when we had hogs we used to put rings in the noses of the hogs, and then the thought came to me, 'Why did we do it?' Not to keep the hogs from getting fat. We were more interested in their getting fat than they were. [Laughter.] The sooner they got fat the sooner we killed them; the longer they were in getting fat the longer they lived. But why were the rings put in the noses of those hogs? So that, while they were getting fat, they would not destroy more property than they were worth. [Laughter and great applause.] And as I thought of that this thought came to me, that one of the duties of the government, one of the important duties of government, is the putting of rings in the noses of hogs. [Applause.] Excerpts from William Jennings Bryan's Labor Day Speech in Chicago
Why is he evicted entirely from present tense public policy?

MAYOR DANNY JONES; Why are We the People being treated as anarchists when our very grievance is with 1% anarchists inflicting themselves on all other industry, and all humanity at large, with impunity?

Quote:
"Paper money has had the effect in your state that it will ever have, to ruin commerce, oppress the honest, and open the door to every species of fraud and injustice." (letter to J. Bowen, Rhode Island, Jan. 9, 1787) "If ever again our nation stumbles upon unfunded paper, it shall surely be like death to our body politic. This country will crash."
--George Washington
Quote:
A disordered currency is one of the greatest political evils. It undermines the virtues necessa for the support of the social system, and encourages propensities destructive to its happiness, wars against industry, frugality and economy, and it fosters evil spirits of extravagance and speculation. Of all the contrivances for cheating the laboring classes of mankind, none has been more effectual than that which deludes them with paper money."
--Daniel Webster, Congressional Record March 4, 1846
Quote:
"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. Already they have raised up a money aristocracy that has set the government at defiance."
--Thomas Jefferson, at the Constitutional Convention (1787)
Quote:
"If the American people allow private banks to control the issuance of their currency, first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all their property until their children will wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered."
--Thomas Jefferson
Who wants to evict the principles of Washington, Webster and Jefferson? The 1% aided and abetted by politicians abusing government. SHAME!!!!!!

Mayor Danny Jones
(304) 348- 8174
501 Virginia Street East
Charleston WV 25301-2194

Charleston Police department same address, (304) 348-6460

Old 10-29-2011, 02:47 AM

More updates... but first a funny. Keep wall street occupied:

Keep Wall Street Occupied - YouTube
I like the idea of boomeranging it right back at them. Lets call it grassroots 'job creation' because mail sorters in Delaware will be on overtime sloughing off shims, seaweed, chick tracts, and moldy cold cuts. The possibilities are endless.

Here's the latest state approved story...
Occupy protesters vow to defy Charleston's request to leave - News - The Charleston Gazette - West Virginia News and Sports -
Quote:
Blackstone also said the protesters were told last week that the power would be cut off because Davis Park is not meant to be supplied with power 24 hours a day.
Here's the rest of the story. The above statement is false. If that were true alternative means of heat generation/ food warming/ phone charging would have been discussed as high priority last week, and throughout this week, rather than 2 hours before the power was cut. Requesting an audit was ignored why? Because they're being jerked around counting on short attention spans?

Based on the mayor's phone ringing, his door getting knocked on, and points of law getting plopped on his desk... for now the police will not be evicting them from the park. This is not to say an early dawn raid is out of the question as it was done in Atlanta and Oakland. A man is only as good as his word.

The power was cut off in the rain as temperatures were dropping into the 30's + winds kicking up with little more than an hour or 2 notice. Someone delivered $57 worth of hot coffee boxes & donuts from krispy kreme. A solar powered generator is on the horizon. Where there's a will there's a way- hot water heating elements can be utilized from cigarette lighter attachments in a car, along with a variety of RV gizmos I knew little about. Planning ahead for a local government posturing in an untrustworthy manner, 2 loaner screen tents utilized for storage to keep the site tidy were removed and order will have to be restored after the rally. The college kids with textbooks removed them from the premises to make sure it wouldn't be thrown in the trash by the city as 'abandoned property' if they should get arrested as they've done elsewhere. Some have written their next of kins phone numbers on their bodies in permanent markers just so there's no confusion whether it's a call for bail or a call from the hospital. Tonight's general assembly gave instructions how to be properly arrested.

No, I don't speak for the occupiers. I speak for myself. What a sad state of affairs this world is in when the maturity levels of 20- 30 yr olds far exceed elected officials. I'm sorely disappointed and wish Danny's wife would put him outdoors overnight to think much harder about who he believes he's talking to. My CO would have had him face down in his own vestibule saying 'who am I and why am I here' until it made sense to him.

Nonetheless, more lawyers have volunteered their services along with some retired cops rolling their eyes. More have offered hot racking in their apartments for some hours of sleep in shifts so they can return to the site showered & ready for the rally tomorrow. A car load + of Huntington protesters are on site tonight. Poca, Wheeling and Lewisburg wandered in too. I met 3 more vets from parts unknown. Other occupation sites are fomenting in other counties. 2 hot trays of frank and beans, 30 pre made sandwiches, a pizza, 2 sweet potato pies, & 2 boxes of donuts wiped out in half an hour. I couldn't do a head count but I'd guess that's up from 30 to about 60 due to the rally & getting ahead of snow in the forecast. Unknown how many will miss the rally obliged to remain behind occupying due to the events inflicted upon them in the last 12 hrs.

'Inflicted' is not a verb the Charleston Gazette or the Daily Mail, each having the same owners putting on airs of alter egos, will be using anytime soon. Come off it folks. No one should have to guess if a spade is a spade. The truth is not beholden to ideology.

Old 10-29-2011, 07:14 PM

532 posts, read 1,090,948 times
West Virginia Blue - Democratic politics and progressive policies for West Virginia. If you get a chance could you post here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston