Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2024, 12:14 PM

20,417 posts, read 14,706,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
I'm thrilled for you and Nimbus. Really.

We adopted a cat with periodontal disease and a heart murmur. We were never able to treat her periodontal disease because no one would give her anesthesia with a heart murmur. And yes, these things are related to each other, but there was nothing I could do except let her be a sweet cat with bad breath. She lost an upper fang and had a Jimmy Cagney kind of sneer a lot, which was cute. Her heart got her in the end, but aside from shots, she didn't have much vet stress. I think we made the right decision to just let her be because we knew going in her lifespan wouldn't be as long as we would have liked, but it was a happy life and she was a happy, loved, and loving, little cat.

If I had a sense that a dental put my cat through something negative, and would again, I would make a judgment call based on age and overall health, etc. You could try that water additive that kills bacteria. Not as good as a dental but maybe better for both of your peace of mind.
Yeah, really when it comes to health problems, probably in cats as much as humans or anything, it can be so hard to tell what the cause and effect is.

I also wonder if he's developed a food sensitivity. I've noticed that he seems to be having issues with the Tiki Cat After Dark Chicken & Duck variety and that's been a regular part of his diet for years. But lately he's turned his nose up at it. This morning I put a bit of a food topper on it, which is how I persuade him to eat if he's being finicky, so he did eat it, then he threw it up. So maybe he knew it wasn't good for his tummy for whatever reason and he did try to tell me but I didn't listen.

But at least despite the vomiting that was only once and he isn't acting like he actually feels bad. More like, "my belly is now emptied, human, you must open another can!" Running around with his tail up, rubbing his face on everything and pulling open the kitchen cabinets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2024, 01:20 PM

1,441 posts, read 672,901 times
I had a cat that had a stroke right after getting her teeth cleaned. She was sent home a little groggy but then never came around.
She wouldn't respond to anything and lost her vision and spent 4 days at the vet.
Thankfully she responded to whatever treatment they did at the vet and even got her vision back after a few days. She pretty much recovered completely but it was very touch and go for a few days.
She was 8 or 9.
I have a 6 year old now and they are telling me he needs his teeth cleaned. I am not sure it is worth the risk.

Old 04-09-2024, 12:57 AM

30,571 posts, read 16,263,911 times
My opinion:
if you're feeding at least some dry food the crunching will clean the teeth.

Old 04-11-2024, 06:10 PM

50,390 posts, read 64,095,870 times
We just picked up our foster cat with 4 four week old kittens. We are looking forward to lavishing them with attention for the 8 days they will be with us. They will be transported to Atlanta to be fostered and then adopted. She is such a sweet mother and the kittens are so cute. I got to name them: Lily, Berry, Petal, Rocket and Robin.

Tomorrow, we will let mom meet the dog, who is mighty curious.

Old 04-13-2024, 05:08 PM

Just FYI for anyone fostering a mother cat with kittens…we were told to feed the mother canned kitten food, 3x a day, as well as dry food and plenty of water…as much as they wanted. The more calories the better.

Old 04-14-2024, 12:35 AM

6,160 posts, read 4,540,639 times
The kittens, too, when they're off their mother. All the kitten food they want. What a nice little adventure that will be.

Old 04-16-2024, 09:38 AM

I saw a couple of fleas on the kittens. I no longer have a flea comb, and they’re too young for chemicals. They leave here on Thursday morning, so I guess the next foster will need to deal with it.

Old 04-16-2024, 12:54 PM

6,160 posts, read 4,540,639 times
Soap and water bath would deal with it.

Old 04-17-2024, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
Soap and water bath would deal with it.
Yes, I’m told blue Dawn kills fleas. I was afraid that changing the kittens smell might spook the mother…afraid to rock the boat. If they were seriously affected, I’d would bathe them, but I’m going to let the next foster deal with it. When they gain another 1/2# they can be medicated.

Old 04-17-2024, 02:54 PM

5,468 posts, read 8,197,692 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ydry...VoiceofAmerica
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats