Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2024, 08:55 AM

828 posts, read 771,926 times

Advertisements

We have our 10 year old on this. Was a struggle at first, but we waited him out until he finally tried it. He does eat Royal Canin wet food, and a couple of times a week will snack on the RC dry food. He will eat Hills occasionally but will stop after a couple of meals.

We will catch our 16 year old eating RC sometimes even when given fancy feast….so it sure seems to be the most tasty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2024, 06:37 PM

551 posts, read 343,805 times
The most important thing for a cat with CKD is water.

My sweet cat was almost 22 when she went to Kitty Heaven.

She was diagnosed at around age 19 almost 20 with early CKD she had always been in good health and I wanted to make sure to do everything for her. I stopped kibble after learning about how kibble is really awful for cats and they shouldn’t ever eat it.

The vet said they hardly ever see a cat this age without health issues and wanted to know what I fed her. I said, I stopped all kibble and only give her canned food with a lot of water added. Her drinking bowl water was spring water.

The vet was trying to sell the Royal Caine kibble. Kibble is the worst thing for any cat.

If I ever have another cat I’ll do raw diet only.

Blessings to all the Beautiful Cats =^..^=

Last edited by bellamax2; 02-18-2024 at 07:53 PM..

Old 03-23-2024, 11:33 AM

437 posts, read 187,138 times
I'm not sure I have a lot of time left with my best feline friend, Rocky. He's been seemingly worsening this last week and half. Before I get to that, I want to give some additional info. I did finally get him transitioned to the renal support diet. Mostly canned but some kibble as well. I've been administering subcutaneous fluids daily. Per the direction of the veterinarian, Rocky has been receiving 100 ml of fluids daily. I've also been giving him Azodyl twice daily. Again, at the direction of my vet.

I took him to the vet for his monthly blood work on March 13, 2024. His creatinine increased from 4.4 to 5.7 with a
normal range of 0.6-2.4. His other kidney value, the BUN, improved from 131 to 126 with a normal range of 14-36. The kidney marker, SDMA, improved from 32.6 to 31.0 with normal being < 0.5. He even gained a bit of weight, which was great news.

Things all took a turn for the worse in this last week. He has very little interest in food. He's been sleeping in one spot for the most part. He no longer comes to visit me in the morning to lick my head when I wake up. He had some anti nausea medication prescribed, which I just gave to him for the first time. I don't know if it will work but my fingers are crossed.

I've been an emotional mess these last few days. He means more to me than anything, as I'm sure you can understand and probably feel the same way about your pets.

I"m doing everything right and he's still going downhill, seemingly getting worse. I take him in again for blood work on April 8. I fear I don't have much time left with him. His quality of life is worsening. I feel like I'm being kicked in the stomach when I look at him and see that he's no longer the vibrant, loving, active cat he was just a few months ago. Man, this is so difficult. So painful.

Old 03-23-2024, 08:20 PM

314 posts, read 222,285 times
I'm so sorry Tony, there's only so much you can do. I wish they never had to leave us.

Old 03-24-2024, 03:54 AM

5,007 posts, read 10,684,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_Soprano View Post
I'm not sure I have a lot of time left with my best feline friend, Rocky. He's been seemingly worsening this last week and half. Before I get to that, I want to give some additional info. I did finally get him transitioned to the renal support diet. Mostly canned but some kibble as well. I've been administering subcutaneous fluids daily. Per the direction of the veterinarian, Rocky has been receiving 100 ml of fluids daily. I've also been giving him Azodyl twice daily. Again, at the direction of my vet.

I took him to the vet for his monthly blood work on March 13, 2024. His creatinine increased from 4.4 to 5.7 with a
normal range of 0.6-2.4. His other kidney value, the BUN, improved from 131 to 126 with a normal range of 14-36. The kidney marker, SDMA, improved from 32.6 to 31.0 with normal being < 0.5. He even gained a bit of weight, which was great news.

Things all took a turn for the worse in this last week. He has very little interest in food. He's been sleeping in one spot for the most part. He no longer comes to visit me in the morning to lick my head when I wake up. He had some anti nausea medication prescribed, which I just gave to him for the first time. I don't know if it will work but my fingers are crossed.

I've been an emotional mess these last few days. He means more to me than anything, as I'm sure you can understand and probably feel the same way about your pets.

I"m doing everything right and he's still going downhill, seemingly getting worse. I take him in again for blood work on April 8. I fear I don't have much time left with him. His quality of life is worsening. I feel like I'm being kicked in the stomach when I look at him and see that he's no longer the vibrant, loving, active cat he was just a few months ago. Man, this is so difficult. So painful.
I’m so sorry. I just lost my cat to CKD after a long battle.

My cat’s creatinine was also high and he had stopped eating in his final weeks. I would talk to your vet about increasing Rocky’s fluids to 150ml/day and giving him an anti-nausea medication like Ondansetron, which may help. In terms of food, you can try feeding him chicken or turkey-flavored baby food mixed with a little water. If he still isn’t eating even when you give him the Azodyl, then I would stop giving it to him, as it will make him uncomfortable to stimulate his appetite if he is too sick to eat.

The only thing that I can suggest is a Facebook group called FELINE CHRONIC KIDNEY DISEASE (all caps). There are knowledgeable folks there who might have some suggestions; just be aware that I don’t think that they are vets. Usually, you join the group, post the most recent results, then ask for advice.

Old 03-28-2024, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
I’m so sorry. I just lost my cat to CKD after a long battle.

My cat’s creatinine was also high and he had stopped eating in his final weeks. I would talk to your vet about increasing Rocky’s fluids to 150ml/day and giving him an anti-nausea medication like Ondansetron, which may help. In terms of food, you can try feeding him chicken or turkey-flavored baby food mixed with a little water. If he still isn’t eating even when you give him the Azodyl, then I would stop giving it to him, as it will make him uncomfortable to stimulate his appetite if he is too sick to eat.

The only thing that I can suggest is a Facebook group called FELINE CHRONIC KIDNEY DISEASE (all caps). There are knowledgeable folks there who might have some suggestions; just be aware that I don’t think that they are vets. Usually, you join the group, post the most recent results, then ask for advice.

Thank you, Starla. I signed up for Facebook just to join that group and i was told that my account didn't meet community guideline, whatever the hell that means. I gave up. I used my real name and not this fake TV show character name. Whatever.

Old 03-28-2024, 01:31 PM

I have some very sad news My best friend, Rocky, crossed the Rainbow Bridge today around 1:20 PM. I'm sorry that I wasn't very responsive in this thread but thank you all for your comments and suggestions I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to post.

I'm grieving and the loss of my Rocky has made a grown man cry. He left a hole that will never be filled.

Old 03-28-2024, 04:15 PM

Quote:
I have some very sad news My best friend, Rocky, crossed the Rainbow Bridge today around 1:20 PM. I'm sorry that I wasn't very responsive in this thread but thank you all for your comments and suggestions I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to post.

I'm grieving and the loss of my Rocky has made a grown man cry. He left a hole that will never be filled.
I’m so sorry, Tony. R.I.P. Rocky.

Old 03-29-2024, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
I’m so sorry, Tony. R.I.P. Rocky.

Thank you, Starla. This is brutal. First morning without him and I'm in tears again.

Old 03-29-2024, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Thank you, Starla. This is brutal. First morning without him and I'm in tears again.
I know, I’ve been there. My Elvis died in January. He was almost 20. He fought to the very end (and I with him, nursing him as best I could).

After he died, I focused on my gratitude for the medical treatments, food and care that extended his life; all of the time I was able to spend with him because I knew he was dying; and the fact that we got to spend one last Christmas together. But, yeah, I miss him and will always cry thinking of him and, especially, talking about him.

At times like these, I always tell people that, when we lose a beloved pet (which is inevitable), we have to remember that there are others out there who are waiting for loving homes. I know that you are probably not ready yet but, when you are, there is another love bug out there waiting for you.

((((HUGS))))
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats