Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 08:36 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,372,399 times

Advertisements

Ours is usually on a counter or something of the like, sometimes gets left on the floor. KK has never messed with it when we were not playing with him with it.

I was folding laundry and heard all kinds of noise and meowing. Little Charlie was flipping around the hallway trying to get loos from the toy. It was around his neck and paws and he kept getting it worse trying to get out of it.

It is good exercise for the kittys but dangerous! What if I weren't home!

I think it needs to be kept in a cabinet. I couldn't get him out so I ended up cutting it in several places.

He is fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2013, 08:45 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,837,240 times
Our cat loves his wand toy, but it's always out of his reach when we're not there to supervise. He gets so excited by that thing I noticed he almost impaled himself on the "stick" once when jumping around. Also, the string can become tangled around his neck.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:01 AM

7,201 posts, read 15,002,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
Ours is usually on a counter or something of the like, sometimes gets left on the floor. KK has never messed with it when we were not playing with him with it.

I was folding laundry and heard all kinds of noise and meowing. Little Charlie was flipping around the hallway trying to get loos from the toy. It was around his neck and paws and he kept getting it worse trying to get out of it.

It is good exercise for the kittys but dangerous! What if I weren't home!

I think it needs to be kept in a cabinet. I couldn't get him out so I ended up cutting it in several places.

He is fine.
Good advice. Thank you.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:38 AM

1,134 posts, read 2,239,268 times
Good idea. Plastic bags, or any bag with a small handle are a danger I never would have considered until one of our cats got her head caught in the handle with the bag over her head. Since she couldn't see she hit a few pieces of furniture and finally ran into a closet. That's how we were finally able to get it off but she was so frightened it took awhile for her to calm down. Like Pikantari, I thought, what might have happened if we weren't home?

Old 07-03-2013, 09:46 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,108,088 times
Thanks for the warning.

Once Boyfriend was licking his chest and got his lower jaw caught in his flea collar and no telling how long he was like that. I never used one again.

Old 07-03-2013, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Thanks for the warning.

Once Boyfriend was licking his chest and got his lower jaw caught in his flea collar and no telling how long he was like that. I never used one again.
This is why my cats don't wear collars. My first cat when I was a kid got his jaw caught. I no longer remember how we got it off. That and the fact cats have hung themselves, even with those safety collars. The safety collars are "safer" now as they pop at a lower pressure but I'll pass....

Old 07-04-2013, 12:26 AM

2,279 posts, read 4,746,115 times
Wanted to bump this to keep it alive and active.

I work with a guy whose cat broke a wand-type toy (feather on a long string attached to a stick) and swallowed the string. Poor kitty had to have abdominal surgery to remove the string. (He was okay in the end, just a bit uncomfortable while recovering . . . and they had a $1500 vet bill.)

Old 07-04-2013, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wry_Martini View Post
Wanted to bump this to keep it alive and active.

I work with a guy whose cat broke a wand-type toy (feather on a long string attached to a stick) and swallowed the string. Poor kitty had to have abdominal surgery to remove the string. (He was okay in the end, just a bit uncomfortable while recovering . . . and they had a $1500 vet bill.)
My vet warned me about this when we had Phaedra X-rayed because she swallowed 6" or more inches of the thin elastic cord on her bird wand toy. She wouldn't eat more than a spoonful of food a day until it passed. She just chewed it off and swallowed it. Fortunately she passed it in her stool or it would have been surgery to remove it. I can't play with her with these toys on strings because she wants to eat the elastic strings. The other cats ignore the string and play with the toy. Phaedra ignores the toy and goes for the string.

Old 07-04-2013, 02:41 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,627,821 times
Me cats think lizards make the best toys. One former kitty favored grass snakes. Even brought one in through the doggie door.

Old 07-04-2013, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
Me cats think lizards make the best toys. One former kitty favored grass snakes. Even brought one in through the doggie door.
Our little Callie is the lizard and skink head. They sneak in under the utility room door. She also loves to chase any moths that come into the house when the door is opened at night. One day she brought a live mouse in from the safe cat-enclosure on the deck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats