Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 11:38 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,701,017 times

Advertisements

Geico sucks. Thats why it advertises so much - its customer turnover is very high and its always looking to replenish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2008, 01:18 PM

1,667 posts, read 9,380,870 times
Well, I had a car hit my parked vehicle last month. Thank God she had Allstate. They paid the repair shop the day they inspected the damage (3 days) and covered the rental. I'm impressed. I guess they are OK after all.

Old 08-25-2008, 01:30 PM

78,354 posts, read 60,556,941 times
The problem is that when it's YOUR claim you want everything covered....but we don't want to pay the cost for the insurance company doing that for everyone else.

So, we buy the cheapest quote and claim the other insurers are rip-offs for charging more.

The profit margin for auto insurers on a thousand dollar policy would typically be about $30-40 give or take.

Old 08-25-2008, 03:43 PM

897 posts, read 2,824,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by molochai2580 View Post
As of today State Farm was listed as #1 bad. I personally have never had a problem with State Farm.
I too have never had issues with State Farm - they've been our Home, Auto, & Liability for years now. Everytime we renew (write that check for the premiums) we review our coverage and make sure it's exactly what we need. Never any suprises and always been more than pleased when we've had a claim (which is almost never, thank goodness).

Sure, insurance is a gamble, but when you need it you want to make sure you have the best possible coverage and company.

Old 08-25-2008, 04:10 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,129,823 times
A number of years ago, I had only the bare minimum liability insurance coverage, because I didn't have money for anything else. One time I had to replace a windshield and was shocked at the cost of those things. They could cost thousands of dollars. The one I ended up with looked like it was made from melted down coke bottle glass. If you can scrape up enough for coverage, it can sure be worth it if you ever are really hit with a bill.

Old 08-27-2008, 11:59 PM

763 posts, read 2,260,421 times
An example of why people claim insurance companies are bad and evil: They want to insure their house (or car) for a fraction of what it's worth, so they can save a few bucks on premiums. Then, when the insurance companies pay based on what a person is insured for, well they're evil, mean and greedy for not paying more.

A local family had their house insured for $100k. Well, it was worth $100k 20 years ago when they got the insurance, plus they opened a business on the property, which was a violation of their policy. Well, these poor people were "swindled" by those greedy so-and-so's!

Same with auto policies. When they pay based on what they are insured for... Evil!

Old 07-21-2009, 07:00 AM

1 posts, read 4,506 times
Most Insurance companies are raising everyones deductible so as the consumer has to pay out of their own pocket such as a windshield may cost 250 to 499 and the Insurance company sell you Insurance with a 500 Deductible... Not only that, the consumer is afraid their insurance will go up if they use their insurance to pay for anything so they pay out of pocket. Also the Insurance demand discount from Glass Shops that is rediculous. By the time the glass shop buys the W/S and furnish a vehicle to go out mobil and pay 2 employees to do the job it ends up costing the Glass shop to install a new Windshield. Some glass shops will not do work for some of the Insurance Companies.. The other problem is that they use people mobil service from out of town and if you have a problem like a leak you cant get them to come back and fix it so they have to take it to a local shop and pay to have it fixed and cost the customer more in the long run. Glass coverage is very important make sure your deductible is low and ask your Insurance agent if your insurance is going to go up if you replace any auto glass. They say Insurance is as good as your agent. Shop around and get the best coverage and don't rely on saving the 300.00 a year because usually raising the deductible lowers the price of the Insurance and really you lose coverage on glass breakage

Old 07-21-2009, 07:12 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,681,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESFP View Post
I switched from Allstate ($2400) to GEICO ($854) annually. Have never had a claim, am 50 years old, retired veteran. Just cracked windshield, GEICO says they don't pay for that. Now, I have found that GEICO doesn't pay if you're on an errand during lunchbreak, like a bank stopover, and have an accident. Is $2400 for Allstate actually a good rate? Cheap GEICO isn't a good deal if they nothing is covered.
Meh, I have Geico and I don't have any complaints with it. My daily driver is a 14 year old clunker and they only charge me $34/mo for basic insurance. When I was still covering it with comprehensive, it was only about $55/mo. In the ten years or so that I've been with them, they've covered three issues I had (hit while parked twice, hail broke windshield another time) and never blinked.

My guess is that the OP just didn't read the fine print and doesn't understand his contract.

Old 07-21-2009, 07:31 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,443,172 times
14 year old for $34 w/ basic insurance is still expensive. We pay about that for 2 cars (actually a little under $40 I think). Geico was 50% higher than my insurance company when I was shopping around.

This thread is a year old. He's probably already made his decision by now .

Old 07-21-2009, 08:33 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,833,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Kiser View Post
Most Insurance companies are raising everyones deductible so as the consumer has to pay out of their own pocket such as a windshield may cost 250 to 499 and the Insurance company sell you Insurance with a 500 Deductible... Not only that, the consumer is afraid their insurance will go up if they use their insurance to pay for anything so they pay out of pocket. Also the Insurance demand discount from Glass Shops that is rediculous. By the time the glass shop buys the W/S and furnish a vehicle to go out mobil and pay 2 employees to do the job it ends up costing the Glass shop to install a new Windshield. Some glass shops will not do work for some of the Insurance Companies.. The other problem is that they use people mobil service from out of town and if you have a problem like a leak you cant get them to come back and fix it so they have to take it to a local shop and pay to have it fixed and cost the customer more in the long run. Glass coverage is very important make sure your deductible is low and ask your Insurance agent if your insurance is going to go up if you replace any auto glass. They say Insurance is as good as your agent. Shop around and get the best coverage and don't rely on saving the 300.00 a year because usually raising the deductible lowers the price of the Insurance and really you lose coverage on glass breakage

Agian it depends on the insurnace poicy .Mine has separate coverage for glass that is a $50.00 dollar deductable. You can buy cheap insurence as well as a high dedcutable. Many people do ;lookig at high deductables as castrophe insurance, It depends on what you want and plainly people don't read the coverage often enough when purchasing insurnce. They only know they want to pay less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance