Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 01:54 PM

78,347 posts, read 60,547,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
All insurance companies have more "wiggle out" clauses then you can shake a stick at. They are covering less and less these days.

Oh but dont be late paying your monthly premiim or they will be threatening your life.
Source? Nah, don't bother....I will file this under bitter curmudgeon making stuff up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2008, 02:16 PM

1,827 posts, read 2,588,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
It definitely IS working, Wings . . .

I have chosen another insurance company and avoided GEICO completely.

and, by the way, The Lizard (actually: Gecko) is the least offensive and unprofessional of them all.

When I think GEICO I think lizard but you're right they spend a LOT of money on advertisement with the "I saved money" pitch. I've had them for 20 years or so, they have been great so far the little that I have used them.

Old 08-01-2008, 04:19 PM

2,410 posts, read 6,003,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
Lotta crummy insurance out there . . .

for a full list of the bad ones (and the good) >>>

FBIC Ranks Insurers Payment And Non-Payment Of Claims Records And Bad Faith Practices

the top bad 50 and top good 50 >>>

"FBIC Ranks Insurers Records To Pay Or Deny Legitimate Claims"

It is presently showing Allstate as #3 bad. That is pretty bad.

Geico is #13 bad.

As a side note, Hartford is #1 bad, and let me tell you they are BAD. Criminally bad.
As of today State Farm was listed as #1 bad. I personally have never had a problem with State Farm.

7 years ago my husband was in a car accident (his fault) and our car was demolished. We had our check from State Farm within a week (for more than I paid for the stupid car). We have had several windshields and windows replaced (at no cost or hassle, then even sent the repair people to our where we worked so we wouldn't miss a day for repairs) and 2 years ago when my husband hit a deer with his brand new truck, we took it to the dealer to have it fixed and State Farm payed our deductable with no questions and no need to go around getting more than one quote. They also don't discriminate against different breeds of dogs (with our house insurance), which is very important to me since I own a rescue mutt which is a rottweiler mix.

Old 08-01-2008, 06:46 PM

763 posts, read 2,260,313 times
I wonder if "#1 bad" rankings are made by people who don't read the small print and then get mad? I hear a lot of stories about people who don't upgrade their insurance to keep up with inflation, then try to blame the insurance companies and say, "They're evil and just out to deny claims!" when they make a claim and they're not covered for enough.

There was a family here in town who lost their house in a fire, but they listed specifically that they did not run any sort of commercial endeavor on their property. Well, they did. Insurance denied their claim. Everyone was up in arms about it and blamed the insurance company instead of blaming the cheapskates who lied to the insurance company and tried to rip them off.

Before I moved here, I had State Farm. I was hit by in uninsured motorist twice, and had a check that completely covered the claim by the next day. But, I know someone who didn't want to spend the $10 or so on uninsured motorist coverage, and blamed State Farm when they wouldn't pay on an uninsured motorist claim. We even had a lady here who went to the newspaper with a complaint because she lost her house in a forest fire and the insurance company refused to cover her. Never mind that she called them when the fire was across the street from her house. It wasn't her fault that she had been uninsured for 9 years!

Old 08-02-2008, 10:52 AM

8,877 posts, read 13,910,103 times
I used to part time for a particular insurance company mentioned in this thread. I worked in the evenings taking and dispatching Emergency Road Service calls. Aside from the few extra dollars I made there, I learned alot, including that I will never buy their insurance product.

Some of the things were how they would sell inexpensive coverage that was nowheres near comparable in a side by side comparison of benefits to the traditional insurance companies, the claims department were gatekeepers whose job was to disqualify as many claimants as possible before assigning a case to an adjustor, and the line about reaching a rep to talk about your policy 24/7? Yeah, call there during the late hours. Your call was routed to the 24 hr road service group whose script tells them to inform you that the "policy reps" were all busy and they'd have someone call you back in 24 hours. Why were they all busy? Because the sales and service department closed at 10PM and nobody was there to take the calls!!!

I can't complain about my role there and I had a good time working. But, it grew old after awhile and I moved on. Just glad to have learned what I did when I was there. So, now I don't have to waste 15 minutes to see what they can do for me. I know the answer is "not much".

Old 08-02-2008, 12:20 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,672,167 times
I have no objection to the lizard, but as a Neanderthal, I am highly offended by the Geico cavemen!

So easy a caveman could do it...BAHHHH!

Old 08-02-2008, 12:58 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,690,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
I have no objection to the lizard, but as a Neanderthal, I am highly offended by the Geico cavemen!

So easy a caveman could do it...BAHHHH!
LOL . . . Good One, Car54. ! ! ! !

Where's the ACLU when you need 'em?

Old 08-02-2008, 02:40 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,910,103 times
Even I have to admit, the Loren Wallace commercials are terrific!

YouTube - Geico commercial

Old 08-25-2008, 11:26 AM

2 posts, read 10,505 times
Default I Agree

I just called in to report a claim for my broken windshield. I have comp with $100.00 deductible. I wanted dealer glass and they said that their contract does not cover that. It only covers "like kind glass". I said that I currently have a dealer glass and that's what I want, isn't that like kind. They said that it is not. They told me that all glass was made the same, same quality and that the only difference was the logo. I talked to Phalyn, Gwen and then to a supervisor. They all denied my request. I've been with them for over 10years and never had a claim. This is the first claim I've put in. If I'm going to get hassled with something this small, I can imagine what kind of treament I will get if it was an accident. I think I have to go with someone else.

Old 08-25-2008, 11:27 AM

2 posts, read 10,505 times
Default Opps.

Geico was the insurance that hassled me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance