Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 08:35 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,740,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
My brother is a cop, I think he told me about a sport bike flying down the highway and just let it be, wasn't worth doing anything with the rider not fleeing from a felony and it wasn't rush hour....something like that.
I was talking to a cop while working the Formula SAE booth at detroit auto show and we were all talking about going fast and what not, and then we started talking about that. He said that they don't bother chasing after people going over 100 on a motorcycle because there's only one way that story ends. The rider dies. Usually the family then sues the city which is even more WTF?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2014, 09:45 AM

943 posts, read 1,203,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnayyy View Post
I was talking to a cop while working the Formula SAE booth at detroit auto show and we were all talking about going fast and what not, and then we started talking about that. He said that they don't bother chasing after people going over 100 on a motorcycle because there's only one way that story ends. The rider dies. Usually the family then sues the city which is even more WTF?
Yeah, motorbikes are dangerous. Heck I get cautious when I hear someone around me with a scouter.

Old 03-25-2014, 11:25 AM

15,475 posts, read 25,949,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous725 View Post
This scenario could easily be executed without endangering others lives, for example if it was a open freeway, without any people on the roads, in somewhere like rural Nevada. It isn't psychopathic either. Learn psychology. This scenario doesn't include any characters who have those tendencies, or lack of empathy, as it would be during the day or rush hour if that was the case.
Is there any way to guarantee there are no other cars on the freeway other than arranging for cops to block it off for you? Didn't think so. You could be coming around a curve or over a hill and smash into someone you didn't know was there. Don't forget deer, and other critters. It's not safe to do what is proposed.

Old 03-25-2014, 11:41 AM

41,458 posts, read 59,970,913 times
While you may find a stretch of rural highway in the American or Canadian West with no traffic or police the thought of running into a steer or buffalo at 150+ is enough of a deterrent to keep me from doing it. Not that I am totally allergic to driving fast. I have had a rental over the ton on a gravel road in a western state and my Subaru nearly as fast on a snow covered road in an Eastern forest. Both were exceptionally foolhardy even by my standards.

There are things called "Track Days" where, after signing all manner of releases, a person can go as fast as they can on a closed course for a reasonable, less than all the fines for being crazy in a public highway, fee. Track days also have medical help on site if you make a really bad mistake. Drive safe not stupid.

Old 03-25-2014, 03:00 PM
RVT

367 posts, read 774,955 times
Would the cops even try to spike a car going 165 MPH? I'd think that they'd realize that losing your tires inflation at that speed would not be very good.

Old 03-25-2014, 03:36 PM

8,743 posts, read 11,159,196 times
With most cars, first you need to removed the governed speed limiter. Then your tires has to handle the very high speeds.

Old 03-25-2014, 03:44 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,226,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVT View Post
Would the cops even try to spike a car going 165 MPH? I'd think that they'd realize that losing your tires inflation at that speed would not be very good.
Fyi, Spike strips deployed to stop a car are designed to gradually deflate the tire, to avoid making the driver lose control so that's not an issue. Any vehicle going 165 mph on a public road would simply not survive, since the first vehicle pulling off a side road would END it all, OR the first sharp curve would vaporize the car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance