Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 11:25 AM

22,331 posts, read 29,432,497 times

Advertisements

Anytime you purchase a car new or used you MUST get GAP insurance. Trust me, I learned this the hard way by having to pay $2400 for a car I no longer owned years and years ago
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2014, 11:30 AM

63 posts, read 124,377 times
I also forgot to mention to look at the contract and see if there was an extended warranty or something similar. If so, you will need to contact the dealership to cancel these. While they won't be cutting you a check, they will refund you the "unused" portion of the warranty to the loan company reducing the total loan balance.

Old 01-05-2014, 11:30 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,863,242 times
Quote:
Anytime you purchase a car new or used you MUST get GAP insurance. Trust me.

Sorry, you're WRONG.

If you put a proper down payment on the vehicle, you don't need GAP. If you can only put down peanuts, then yeah, get GAP.

Old 01-05-2014, 11:31 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,863,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewahya View Post
I also forgot to mention to look at the contract and see if there was an extended warranty or something similar. If so, you will need to contact the dealership to cancel these. While they won't be cutting you a check, they will refund you the "unused" portion of the warranty to the loan company reducing the total loan balance.
Excellent point.

Old 01-05-2014, 11:33 AM

8,238 posts, read 10,726,695 times
Just curious but you say you owe $9400. Is that the payoff or is that you multiplying your payment by the number of payments left?

Just want to make sure you are using the correct number as the payoff may be a bit lower.

Old 01-05-2014, 11:33 AM

6,470 posts, read 16,402,817 times
OMG I am now going to be an ass. I needed the money I paid in cash for my car, but I am glad I did it. My old car was also paid for in cash, and the other insurance company also totaled my car. If you get a loan on a used car, apparently this kind of stuff can happen. The sellers I think also try to get you to pay more than the car is worth because you're financing it.

In my case, the other person caused the accident, and suddenly I was without a car.

Was the accident your fault? If not I do not think insurance companies should be able to get off with totaling your car. I would say do what I am going to do...contact your legislator. I can understand if you caused the accident, but insurance companies should not be able to do this. Now you are out a car because of their client's fault. That's BS. It is not like you paid THEM to insure your car.

If they are going to "total" the car, they should pay full replacement cost of a comparable car. B@stards. One of my friends is an attorney, and he handled my case for me. Like the other guy said above...he only got maybe 10% more than the a$$holes at the insurance company initially offered.

Old 01-05-2014, 01:11 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Happened to my brother when his 68 Mustang was stolen from his driveway... a car he drove every day.

Insurance offered him $2,300 for his 68 Ford.

He papered them with receipts, car value guides, ads from Hemmings and the Internet.

After two weeks of daily faxing info to the adjustor... the adjuster called and asked if he would settle for $6,500 and he said yes.

He had owned the car for 12 years and had full coverage with the same insurance company the entire time.

Old 01-05-2014, 01:40 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,295,255 times
My wife and I were in a wreck in my Jeep 7 months after a complete frame off. This was not our fault and I hired a lawyer as we were both hospitalized. The adjuster came out and offered me $3500. I was livid, but my lawyer told me to take pictures to a custom car place in Pleasanton, CA. It was appraised at $16,700, so the insurance paid me $10,000 as the max for the policy. They couldn't do a salvage either, because $16,700 was greater than 75% of what they paid me.
About $25,000 later I created this:
My 55 Willys CJ5
Point is that you take the time to research actual value including all options.

Old 01-05-2014, 02:26 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,763,632 times
Is it for sure a totaled vehicle? What's the repair estimate?

Old 01-05-2014, 02:29 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Where would the gap insurance be listed? Car loan paperwork? Car sales paperwork? Car insurance paperwork? And, Yikes, where in the world did my husband even put the first two pieces of paperwork?

I'm worried that the car is "up side down" but hoping that it wasn't. I didn't want him buy the car in the beginning and it has caused problems even since he purchased it.

It's usually in in the vehicle purchase agreement. It lists the loan rate. Agreed purchase price, doc fees etc. There is a box for the purchase of gap ins. There is also a box for denial of gap ins. Gap ins is pretty cheap as far as monthly payment but over the life of the loan it's not. Most people focus on monthly payment so dealers can easily sneak in that. Its only $10 more and its to protect you is how the sales pitch goes. It's usually good for people that don't have ready cash to pay the difference in case of a total loss. But IMO up you're better off putting that 10-20 bucks a month away in a savings account

You can always do a agreed upon value.

Last edited by Electrician4you; 01-05-2014 at 02:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance