Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 09:01 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,487,090 times

Advertisements

Somebody crashed into me today on the freeway and my car is totaled now. At least that's what the cop and the tow guy said. It was a 2008 Toyota Yaris. I don't have the money to buy me a new car. They probably are going to pay me whatever they thought it was worth. KBB says it's worth about 7,500 Dollars. That's gonna get me an old used car. That's a huge problem. I need a replacement. Of course I don't really want to be worse off after the accident just because somebody else totaled my car. How do you deal with the insurance company in this case? I hope somebody can help me here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2012, 09:09 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,554,229 times
Were you in the car? Did you go to the hospital? Who's fault? who said it was totalled?

Old 01-22-2012, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Were you in the car? Did you go to the hospital? Who's fault? who said it was totalled?

Yes, I was. I was driving on the freeway. No, no hospital. And, like I said, the cop did and the tow guy did. I mentioned that already. It's a lot of damage and I wouldn't be surprised. Of course I will have to wait and see what they say, but I gotta be prepared. I don't want to take a loss.

Old 01-22-2012, 09:53 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,893,349 times
You have two options. If their offer is low, decline it and prove the value of the vehicle is more than what they offered you, dragging your claim out longer. Or accept it.

Start researching what a 2008 Yaris with similar miles and options is going for in your area. Once you have a good idea, you'll know if the insurance company's offer is good or should be rejected.

Good news is it's a ugly car and was put of its missery. Now get a real car

Old 01-22-2012, 09:54 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,198,598 times
Unless you have been paying for coverage that will buy you a new car in case your vehicle is totaled you are SOOL.

Have you read your coverage?

Old 01-22-2012, 10:19 PM

1,707 posts, read 6,211,007 times
If the vehicle is totaled, they owe you what the vehicle was worth. That's all as long as there were no injuries or medical costs. This is based on an ACV (actual cash value) determined by researching a database of similar sold vehicles.

They do not owe you a replacement vehicle, but their payout should be pretty close to the vehicle's actual value. If you owe money on yours, you can pay it off and take any excess cash to put down on another vehicle. It's inconvenient... but it's better than not getting anything.

Old 01-22-2012, 10:21 PM

I'm not gonna get anything from my insurance, no. Nor would I have expected to use mine since it wasn't my fault. I actually do not think it's an ugly car at all. It was 35 mpg.
What are the chances they will offer something reasonable? Kind of thinking they usually start low. I bought it and paid for it myself. I don't owe anything on it.
Man, I hate this.

Old 01-22-2012, 10:30 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,400,832 times
The insurance company will pay the assessed value of the vehicle, but you can have that reviewed, and appeal, as others have mentioned, based upon the current market for 2008 Yaris in your area. You cannot compare a 2008 Yaris to a 2012, however, since it's not likely that you will profit from this accident, even if you were to sue, since all the court would do is make you whole, the condition you were in before the accident. Since you were thankfully uninjured, your recovery for medical damages and/or any other damage awards is not likely, so you would be dealing with the value of the vehicle and the rental car.

Ask your insurance company to give an independent appraisal of the vehicle if the offer from the other company comes back lower than expected, but be sure to ask what source the insurance company used to value the vehicle. Any condition deductions that are not related to this accident should be itemized in the calculation of the price. What you can do, is your own homework: shop for the same car in your local market at several used car dealers/used car departments of Toyota dealers, so that you can know if the value of the settlement offer is fair or not. If they offer $7500, but the vehicle in question retails for $9500 right now in your local market, you can then begin negotiation to get closer to the $9500 amount. In some cases, insurance companies will arrange for helping you locate a replacement vehicle, which may come at a pre-negotiated price. Ask your insurance company if they offer this facility, and ask the other insurance company that as well.

It's a hassle, but a negotiation, so don't feel the need to readily accept a first offer, but being prepared before the offer comes in, by finding out the retail value of the car can make the process easier. Just look around on the internet, call some dealers, and explain the situation, and ask for a quote. They are interested in earning your business for a replacement vehicle, so do shop around to get a good average figure.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 01-22-2012, 10:42 PM

Thank you. I hope it's gonna all work out and they won't try to screw me over...

Old 01-23-2012, 12:37 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times
##############*********** warning ********#########
are you in a "NO-FAULT-STATE"? Rules are WAY different. (Your car may NOT be totaled (which brings even MORE problems))

insurance company payouts for liability claims.... Be Firm, say little, agree to NOTHING. (yet)
BTDT many times... (I drive 50 mpg diesels that are actually quite old (but nearly impossible to replace) and insurance companies give me the run around, BUT I have always come out in my favor (usually by a lot)).

#1, don't tell the 'other' insurance company NOTHING (about the accident OR your car, just insist they get you into a rental NOW!!!!) Nothing, got it??? NOTHING !!!! (just deal very minimally if at all, and ONLY insist on a rental car NOW. Definitely, DO NOT MENTION you were not hurt, DO NOT SIGN SOMETHING SAYING THAT YOU WERE NOT HURT !!! (injuries can show up later, often 2-5 days or more)

#2, Get a copy of police report to determine fault.

#3 Hope and pray the other guy HAS insurance... (40% of drivers in my state do NOT, even tho it is required)

#4 Get value estimate of your car, (be sure to consider mileage and any recent repairs.) Be prepared to substantiate value.

#5. If / When the other insurance offers a claim... do NOT accept it over the phone. Tell them you need a HARD COPY to present to your attorney. (They will first see if you carry 'un-insured' motorist coverage and have YOUR insurance pay (which may be REQUIRED if you are in a "NO-FAULT-STATE"

#6, see your attorney ($200) or your insurance agent BEFORE accepting any amount for your car (unless you are SURE amount is generous and WILL BUY an equivalent replacement)

#7, be looking for replacement... You will not have much time to look (rental car will be taken as soon as you accept their offer of payout)

#8, stay in contact and be GOOD Friends with your insurance agent, they can help you a lot (advice / replacements, loaner / rental cars, assistance)

#9 BE SURE to validate your health (This is greatest fear of insurance company)

#10, BE FIRM and professional (and reasonable) with insurance company.

Glad you are ok, I LIKE Yaris, I get them for $10 / day on Priceline rentals. They get good mileage (usually 39-42). They have LOTS of cup holders for Sonic Happy Hour while on LONG road trips. They go fast and handle well in Mountains.

Good luck... Btw... I have been hit 4 time in 4 yrs, tho have 35+ yrs of accident free Commercial Driving.

I have got VERY generous payouts from insurance companies, but only AFTER rejecting their first offer (usually done by a back office minion) and offering documented / professional / persistent / confident rebuttal. Some times as many as 4 rebuttals, but be reasonable... They try to make a FAST resolution (and they are measured on this... outstanding claim period). They have incentive to CLOSE the case. Leave it open on the medical side, get a good price on the property side and move on.

DOCUMENT EVERY PHONE CALL / CORRESPONDENCE w / insurance company. Tonight write down details of accident. sleep well. Long week ahead, just don't get frazzled (they will jump on that).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance