Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 07:37 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,710,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
That's unbelievably low.

1995 F150, 2005 GTO, full coverage, slightly higher than minimums, $1100/yr with Nationwide. No tickets or accidents for 10+ years. Homeowners is with Nationwide as well. 1 adult driver.
I should have included my wife's policy as well. With her and her 2007 Beemer that is an extra $380 a year. So two drivers, two cars, $930. When I got a quote from Nationwide they were the second highest. All State was the highest by far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2012, 08:56 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,652,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
Wow, I feel really good about my rates. $550 a year from Erie. That's for a brand new Chevy SUV. Full coverage, 250/500. Rates are slightly cheaper due to multi-vehicle and Homeowners discount bundle, but not much. Age and clean driving record help. For people paying $8000 a year, I hope you've shopped around.
That's pretty good. I had to switch away from Erie about 5 years ago or so because they were too expensive for me. Travelers wrote me for around $400 less at the time, and I don't have any claims or accidents or anything on my record. Since then I have dropped my collision and comp and the thing still costs $500/year. My car is a 2000 Acura Integra, which always had a lot of comp loss in its rating apparently. But I don't have comp anymore!

It's probably time to shop again. I usually get quotes every year or so, and I usually find that I'm still about equal to the quotes I get. I'm not getting multi-policy discount right now because my homeowners is stuck with Erie (I have things like 29-year-old roof that means I basically can't get coverage with a new company, certainly Travelers wouldn't write it older than 25 years I think it was). In the past I was still saving despite not getting multi-policy, but the homeowner's rate is seeming really high. Nothing to do about that except actually get the roof done, which I will do next year I suppose.

Of course, maybe you drive very little on that vehicle? My policy is written to drive north of 15k miles a year and 22 mile one-way commute 5 days a week. That boosts the cost. Still, your rating is extremely low to be sure even if you're set on pleasure only driving of 5k a year. Pretty sweet.

Old 12-12-2012, 09:01 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
That's unbelievably low.

1995 F150, 2005 GTO, full coverage, slightly higher than minimums, $1100/yr with Nationwide. No tickets or accidents for 10+ years. Homeowners is with Nationwide as well. 1 adult driver.
Mine is $500 a year. I wonder if my rate is lower because of the very high safety ratings (Subaru). No accidents, although lots of idiots on the local roads that I have to watch for.

Old 12-12-2012, 11:26 PM

22,660 posts, read 24,585,979 times
I drive a heap of **** MPV, I own it. So I have the most basic coverage, it costs me a whopping 31 dollars a month.

Old 12-13-2012, 06:17 AM

1,056 posts, read 1,737,792 times
Pay 90.00 month for a 2009 CRV, 1999 Honda accord and a bass tracker boat.

Old 12-13-2012, 06:32 AM

2,289 posts, read 5,773,237 times
Too much! Florida, 2 vehicles, 1 older motorhome, 1 senior driver...$2,200 per year.

Old 12-13-2012, 10:08 AM

1,226 posts, read 2,372,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
What is the ISO symbol?
every car is given a symbol, based on safety and statistics. This is used by the carriers to determine your rate. So a Ford Edge SE has an ISO of 5, a Ford Mustang Shelby is a 27. This number will be used to determine premium, obviously the higher ISO the more expensive (given all other factors the same). Sometimes the same model, but V6 vs V8 will make a difference.

Quote:
That's unbelievably low.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
I should have included my wife's policy as well. With her and her 2007 Beemer that is an extra $380 a year. So two drivers, two cars, $930. When I got a quote from Nationwide they were the second highest. All State was the highest by far.
Yes, that is about right for a good rating on a policy, vmaxnc. I'm an agent in NC, and most of my customers (not ones with tickets/ accidents, of course) are paying about that for full coverage, high limits, 2 cars. Of course, you can't really take a two car policy and divide by half, and expect to pay that, as a multi car discount is I would say about $200. But with no accidents/ tickets, assuming good credit, $1,100 is pretty high. I can also guarantee you that you are paying WAY too much with Nationwide on your home, they are one of the highest by far.

Velvet is right, Nationwide, State Farm, and All State will be the highest. When you go to them to get a quote, they each can only provide their own rates, as they are captive (and also can't offer you an HE7 in NC, which is the best policy). Find an independent agent, they will be able to compare rates with Erie, Travelers, Kemper, The Hartford, Safeco, Liberty Mutual, etc, etc all at one time, and give you the best quote. Carriers all have different tiering systems, so its all about finding the carrier that is the best fit. Some will put a higher value on credit, others on age, etc. I have one carrier that offers a multi car discount on the policy if one spouse has a company car, which makes it hard to compete for others regardless of the other circumstances. You just have to have an independent agent to check all these things for you (PM me if you'd like me to get you a quote).

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
That's pretty good. I had to switch away from Erie about 5 years ago or so because they were too expensive for me. Travelers wrote me for around $400 less at the time, and I don't have any claims or accidents or anything on my record. Since then I have dropped my collision and comp and the thing still costs $500/year. My car is a 2000 Acura Integra, which always had a lot of comp loss in its rating apparently. But I don't have comp anymore!

It's probably time to shop again. I usually get quotes every year or so, and I usually find that I'm still about equal to the quotes I get. I'm not getting multi-policy discount right now because my homeowners is stuck with Erie (I have things like 29-year-old roof that means I basically can't get coverage with a new company, certainly Travelers wouldn't write it older than 25 years I think it was). In the past I was still saving despite not getting multi-policy, but the homeowner's rate is seeming really high. Nothing to do about that except actually get the roof done, which I will do next year I suppose.

Of course, maybe you drive very little on that vehicle? My policy is written to drive north of 15k miles a year and 22 mile one-way commute 5 days a week. That boosts the cost. Still, your rating is extremely low to be sure even if you're set on pleasure only driving of 5k a year. Pretty sweet.
Yes, no carrier will cover a 20+ year old roof. But you are loosing a big multi policy discount by having your policies in 2 different places. In my state, you can't even get your home covered with most carriers without having your auto there as well.

Old 12-13-2012, 02:37 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,652,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc0789 View Post
Yes, no carrier will cover a 20+ year old roof. But you are loosing a big multi policy discount by having your policies in 2 different places. In my state, you can't even get your home covered with most carriers without having your auto there as well.
Not nearly as big as I saved by switching at the time. I lost out on maybe $40-50 discount on my homeowners to save well over $300 on my auto and that is over and above whatever discount was credited to my prior auto policy. That's annual numbers, so I don't consider the 50 bucks a big discount at all. The auto was that far out of whack for exact same limits. At least at the time. Maybe they've fixed that in the last year or two.

Old 12-13-2012, 02:46 PM

1,344 posts, read 4,763,798 times
$700 for full coverage for a 2013 Subaru Imprezza.

30 yrs old, 2 tickets over the past 4 years, but ticket free for the past 3. I live in the Nation's Capitol so its maybe its costs a little more than the middle of nowhere...

Old 12-13-2012, 03:42 PM

556 posts, read 1,228,016 times
$58/m, 27yo with a ticket for 26 over 3 years ago. 2008 Corvette and a 1995 Saturn sl1 with liability.

Erie ftw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance