Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 11:58 AM

1 posts, read 12,874 times

Advertisements

I have a car that failed smogg in Stanislaus county, however, I am moving to Mono county (where no smogging is required) and will change the address to Mammoth Lakes, Ca. Question is do I need to correct the failed attempt before I register the new address?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2015, 06:54 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,084,005 times
Once your car is in the system as having failed it must be repaired.. moving will not change its status..
AFTER you have moved with a car that is compliant and it is registered in that county where no smog is required you are good to go...

Old 01-25-2015, 09:30 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,603,599 times
In the "no Smog" counties, a smog check is required on purchase. No bi-annual smog checks after purchase till transferred (sold).

Old 01-25-2015, 10:43 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
What fun! A thread that has devolved into "Where can I move in my old beater where I don't have to get it smogged and can pollute the air with impunity?" Charming! Obeying the intent of the law is so demeaning and restrictive.

Old 01-25-2015, 11:52 AM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
What fun! A thread that has devolved into "Where can I move in my old beater where I don't have to get it smogged and can pollute the air with impunity?" Charming! Obeying the intent of the law is so demeaning and restrictive.
thank you, those were my thoughts too. I just suffered some agony at trying to smog an old Isuzu Rodeo, it failed so I had work done and it failed again. I actually had one guy in a smog shop tell me he could give me a number of someone who could make sure it would pass...thanks but no thanks. I took it to a good mechanic spent another $150 on repairs and it passed. If it hadn't I would have sold it to a wrecker. I grew up in a California when the smog was so bad that when you flew into LAX you couldn't tell what city you were landing in. I'm glad they have these laws and would never try to circumvent them.

Old 01-25-2015, 03:18 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,302,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92 CHEVY View Post
Calaveras County dosent require smog!! Im trying to find someone that will smog my truck ilegaly it has no cats i live in calaveras but i have to smog my truck to put it in my name PLEASE help
Yes I know this post is at least 5 years old. I just bought a 1998 Mercedes wagon and was SHOCKED, shocked I tell you that I had to smog it to register it. BTW all of the readings were less than 10% of the allowable contribution to the demise of the atmosphere. I might add that the car will end up in Cabo San Lucas MX eventually.

Old 08-10-2016, 08:21 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
If you live in an enhanced area the standard is the strictest...

Just went through this as my service truck failed by 1 point... in the end with a new $250 Cat it still cost $574 for license and smog tests...

Had it not been an enhanced area it would have been about $210....

$574 is pretty steep for a vehicle that sees about $2,000 miles annually and I have owned it 26 years and used exclusively when I need my workshop on wheels.

Friends in Montana pay a one time reg fee on vehicles 25+ years and are good to go for as long as they own it.

Old 08-11-2016, 10:26 AM

8,328 posts, read 6,419,063 times
Drive on the freeway for 20 minutes to get the catalytic converter good and hot and go immediately to a smog check place, leave it idling, and hope no one is in front of you.
If it fails you'll probably have to pay $125 diagnostic, and then $450 or who knows what for a new catalytic converter or once with me it was just a rubber vacuum hose had a leak but I had to pay for the mechanics time to find it.
Isnt it a joy to live under a Communist goverment that constantly takes your money and freedom. You will spend a bunch of time, aggravation, worry, stress during the test and really so if it fails. Pray.
Keep on voting for Democrats.
Get the oil changed 1st, If the spark plugs are old get new ones, spark plug wires also and distributor cap too.

Last edited by V8 Vega; 08-11-2016 at 10:37 AM..

Old 08-11-2016, 12:58 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
The truck runs sweet and people often comment on how nice it is and sounds... all stock from carb, cam to exhaust.

My big issue is the rules change after the fact.

When I bought the truck which was a huge outlay for me at the time that was only the beginning...

I put almost as much in it setting it up as a service van... air compressor, racks, shelves, 120 power, heavy towing upgrades, etc...

I did this knowing it would be fall off smog check at age 25... then it was age 30 and Senator Kopp told me to my face the 30 year exemption would be it... he was head of the transportation department... well, we then know it was frozen at 1976 and newer...

Old 08-11-2016, 05:53 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhenzanite View Post
All of California requires smog tests. If I may ask, how were you 'burned'? I've done smog tests and my dad has been a certified tech for 25+ years so I have a bit of experience here.
Christ. No not ALL of California requires smog checks

There are six counties that require smog certifications within certain Zip Codes only. These counties are:
El Dorado, Placer, Riverside, San Bernardino, San Diego, and Sonoma. For example my uncle lives in Coacella valley. He does not have to smog his vehicle where he lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California