Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2024, 07:17 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,927,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
No tip for $20 a hour for unskilled labor.
And that's a good point. Food server is a largely unskilled workforce.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2024, 09:05 PM

3,067 posts, read 1,737,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Gotta love this. Same as the stupid laws they bring forward for firearms. They ain't as smart as they think.
Nope, they aren't. This always happens. The "let's control every outcome" crowd always tries crap like this, and people always find a way around it.

Old 04-08-2024, 09:12 PM

5,733 posts, read 4,688,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Agree, but likewise only a scumbag would deliberately withhold tips for cheapness.
Cheapness? The employees are getting paid $20 per hour!

I understand tipping waitstaff in states where the "tipped wage" is only $2.13 per hour, but that's not the case in CA.

Tipping a person making $20 per hour is ridiculous.

Old 04-09-2024, 12:46 AM

3,265 posts, read 3,927,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
Tipping a person making $20 per hour is ridiculous.
Yeah, it's insanity.

Old 04-09-2024, 05:09 AM

30,141 posts, read 11,765,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattja View Post
I've heard all the arguments and understand servers live off their tips, but only a complete scumbag would purposely contaminate a customer's food, tip or no tip.
Did I say they would contaminate the food? Wild imagination you have. They could get really slow service or no service or cold food. They wait staff has zero incentive to even serve a non tipping customer.

Old 04-09-2024, 05:34 AM

26,716 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Did I say they would contaminate the food? Wild imagination you have. They could get really slow service or no service or cold food. They wait staff has zero incentive to even serve a non tipping customer.
Can't rep you again.

Old 04-09-2024, 07:18 AM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
Funny way around California's new $20 minimum wage. Went to Fat Burger today for lunch. It's now full service.

Please wait you be seated, can I take your order please, can I get you anything else...

Free money
Or just make a political donation to Gavin Newsom and he'll make sure the law doesn't apply to you.

Old 04-09-2024, 07:27 AM

113 posts, read 45,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I wouldn’t put anything past a teenager that didn’t get a tip. Cops also have to be careful where they eat.

Old 04-09-2024, 07:51 AM

21,724 posts, read 16,327,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Or just make a political donation to Gavin Newsom and he'll make sure the law doesn't apply to you.

Panera Is Not Exempted From California’s Fast Food Minimum Wage Law After All
https://la.eater.com/2024/3/1/240870...n-newsom-bread

Misplaced outrage over Panera Bread’s carveout from fast-food law

But the outrage on the right and the left is misplaced. If anyone deserves blame for the current PR crisis, it’s the labor union that forced California restaurants to reason with this unreasonable mandate. …

The Newsom story caught fire because of a past donor relationship. But in Sacramento, a single donor is small potatoes. Labor unions and trial lawyers in California spend untold millions every election cycle to place their hand-selected legislators in Sacramento. These politicians then champion harmful laws like union-controlled regulatory bodies, onerous mandates, or the Private Attorneys General Act (PAGA), all of which benefit narrow special interests at the expense of employees and entrepreneurs.

…

But, like a good bread dough, let the outrage over the bakery exemption rest.
https://www.ocregister.com/2024/03/0...fast-food-law/

Old 04-09-2024, 08:17 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsgenealogy View Post
Well, this is a great thread. After reading Vincenze's question about tips, I can't help but wonder if they still have a drive through. If they do, then wouldn't you be able to just order that way to avoid the tip?
I have never seen a drive-through at a Fatburger, but that would save the tips if there were one. The CA law does not specify that a drive-up means it's fast food. In this case, the requirement for "limited or no table service exempts them." I can't see McD or Jack in the Box turning to full service, Fatburger and 5 Guys are more set up for an easy conversion.

"AB 1228 defines National Fast Food Chain to mean a set of limited-service restaurants consisting of more than 60 establishments nationally that share a common brand, or that are characterized by standardized options for decor, marketing, packaging, products, and services, and which are primarily engaged in providing food and beverages for immediate consumption on or off premises where patrons generally order or select items and pay before consuming, with limited or no table service."

https://dfpi.ca.gov/legislative-chan...in%20providing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California