Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2024, 07:35 AM

7,179 posts, read 9,306,900 times

Advertisements

I've learned that I never want to become a landlord in California no matter how much money I "could" make. This story tells the length that landlords must go to evict an illegal "tenant."

free link:

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...til-they-leave

"What started as a viral YouTube video has grown into a one-of-a-kind vigilante-style service, helping homeowners boot trespassers from their property.

His motto: “If they can take a house, I can take a house.”"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2024, 09:37 AM

1,847 posts, read 867,463 times
Can't see the story, but somewhere on YT I saw where a guy had an issue with a squatter in an area he didn't live (I think his parents' former house), and he did a bunch of stuff to get them out when the law wouldn't help him. Then he decided to start a business helping other people. Don't know if it's the same guy or not, but more power to him.

Last edited by clevergirl67; 03-12-2024 at 10:52 AM..

Old 03-12-2024, 10:19 AM

7,237 posts, read 3,776,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
I've learned that I never want to become a landlord in California no matter how much money I "could" make. This story tells the length that landlords must go to evict an illegal "tenant."

free link:

"What started as a viral YouTube video has grown into a one-of-a-kind vigilante-style service, helping homeowners boot trespassers from their property.

Expect to see certain types offering services to aid in forcing squatters to vacate.

Old 03-12-2024, 12:13 PM

189 posts, read 309,047 times
I also saw the story on the guy's service. He basically starts squatting in the house, whether the existing squatters like it or not, makes like difficult for them and eventually they leave. May also do less strong arm tactics such as when the squatter leaves for some reason, he won't let them back in, maybe puts all their stuff out by the curb. Once the squatter is gone he turns the house over to the owners.

The part of the story I really thought was interesting though was that if you call the police and report someone squatting in your property, that instantly gives the person those awesome squatter's rights. Your best bet may be to not call the cops and find some other means to get them out.

Old 03-12-2024, 12:47 PM

1,847 posts, read 867,463 times
I found the guy I had heard about. His YT channel is called Outside The Box.

Old 03-12-2024, 03:51 PM

814 posts, read 580,354 times
My sister allowed one of her dirt-bag boyfriends to get his mail at her house. When she passed away, he moved in. My brother couldn't evict him because he could show he resided in the home due to the mail delivery. Next thing, the neighbors took pictures of him loading up a U-Haul as he helped herself to her belongings. Nothing the cops could do. Sickening.

Old 03-12-2024, 04:11 PM

1,203 posts, read 666,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl67 View Post
Can't see the story, but somewhere on YT I saw where a guy had an issue with a squatter in an area he didn't live (I think his parents' former house), and he did a bunch of stuff to get them out when the law wouldn't help him. Then he decided to start a business helping other people. Don't know if it's the same guy or not, but more power to him.
Yes, it's the same guy. Seems like a cool dude.

Old 03-12-2024, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post

free link:

This has nothing to do with landlords and tenants.

It has to do with illegal squatters. Like if you own a house and suddenly when you come home, there's a person just hanging out in your living room watching the TV and refusing to leave. But typically this doesn't happen when you're living there. It's more common in a house you're trying to sell. Or a vacation house. Or say if an elderly person is in assisted living temporarily.

Old 03-12-2024, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blickcd View Post
I also saw the story on the guy's service. He basically starts squatting in the house, whether the existing squatters like it or not, makes like difficult for them and eventually they leave. May also do less strong arm tactics such as when the squatter leaves for some reason, he won't let them back in, maybe puts all their stuff out by the curb. Once the squatter is gone he turns the house over to the owners.

The part of the story I really thought was interesting though was that if you call the police and report someone squatting in your property, that instantly gives the person those awesome squatter's rights. Your best bet may be to not call the cops and find some other means to get them out.
No, the story said you should absolutely call the police. That's #1. He said you should absolutely not call a lawyer and try to go through the court process.

Old 03-12-2024, 05:16 PM

21,880 posts, read 12,936,608 times
An elderly female friend had a squatter. First she hired a female caregiver for a family member, then the caregiver moved in her "brother to help," then the caregiver quit and left, then the man wouldn't do anything, then the family member died, then the man refused to leave. He'd just sit in his room in my friend's house watching TV, sneaking out to buy food at night or when my friend was gone (they were living in the same house). We thought for sure she'd end up murdered and on an episode of Dateline! Fortunately, he eventually agreed to leave without legal intervention, but a close call...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California