Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2024, 08:14 PM

2,022 posts, read 1,736,000 times

Advertisements

This could be a good side job for the Hells Angels types when they get a few slow days in-between drug runs. For a measly $ 2-3 K ( no checks !) a dozen bikers take the key and occupy the bathrooms, living rooms, the bedrooms and the kitchen. Every sensible squatter would run, and if they don't, I'm sure the Angels can find a solution faster than it takes me to write this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2024, 12:01 AM

19,194 posts, read 16,675,444 times
I've been watching Flash's videos from the first one shared on YT. Since his first video where he got a squatter (a correctional officer here in CA) out of the house she illegally took over, I've watched all his updates. He's getting quite a following and good for him for doing it since taking over empty homes across this nation is slowly becoming an epidemic. He's helped quite a few people extricate these disgusting people from their home.

Old 03-13-2024, 05:44 AM

189 posts, read 309,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgforshort View Post
This could be a good side job for the Hells Angels types when they get a few slow days in-between drug runs. For a measly $ 2-3 K ( no checks !) a dozen bikers take the key and occupy the bathrooms, living rooms, the bedrooms and the kitchen. Every sensible squatter would run, and if they don't, I'm sure the Angels can find a solution faster than it takes me to write this.
I had thought the same thing. Really any MC would do. A few night club bouncers that were looking for some extra cash might work as well.

Old 03-13-2024, 07:38 AM

1,847 posts, read 867,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad debt View Post
if you own a house and suddenly when you come home, there's a person just hanging out in your living room watching the TV and refusing to leave.

I live in Georgia, and we have a Stand Your Ground law. As a woman, if I came home and found someone in my house, I can legally remove him by whatever means is necessary, because I can claim I felt my life was in danger.

I really feel sorry for people in states like California that protects the squatters. I would go batchit crazy over something like this.

Old 03-13-2024, 08:16 AM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl67 View Post
I live in Georgia, and we have a Stand Your Ground law...

I really feel sorry for people in states like California that protects the squatters.
California doesn't protect squatters any more than any other state. As the article in the OP states, "A tenant is someone who was invited onto a property with consent, said Mark Martinez, a tenant rights attorney. That consent can be as formal as a written lease or as casual as a verbal agreement. Even if a tenant stops paying rent, they still have protections, and landlords have to go through an official eviction process, which can take weeks or months.

A squatter is essentially a trespasser, Martinez said: someone who goes into a property without permission and stays there.

Besides adverse possession, a rarely seen process in which a person can obtain a property after openly living there and paying property taxes for five years, there are no true “squatter’s rights,” Martinez said. Trespassing is illegal, and squatters cannot legally live in a home."

Old 03-13-2024, 10:01 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,947,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGC97 View Post
I've been watching Flash's videos from the first one shared on YT. Since his first video where he got a squatter (a correctional officer here in CA) out of the house she illegally took over, I've watched all his updates. He's getting quite a following and good for him for doing it since taking over empty homes across this nation is slowly becoming an epidemic. He's helped quite a few people extricate these disgusting people from their home.
Dateline Fremont, California. Five years ago I had to evict our so-called renters who wouldn't pay the rent and wouldn't leave, after we repeatedly put up notices nailed to the garage door. The police came on the day the renters were supposed to vacate. Two cops, one cop car. Safety in numbers, thank goodness.

Hilariously, the woman of the house came out wearing a cocktail dress and heels.

Old 03-13-2024, 10:47 AM

1,203 posts, read 666,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blickcd View Post
I had thought the same thing. Really any MC would do. A few night club bouncers that were looking for some extra cash might work as well.
The person in the article used to be a night club bouncer.

Old 03-13-2024, 10:47 AM

18,717 posts, read 7,597,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Pay wall.

Old 03-13-2024, 10:49 AM

1,203 posts, read 666,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl67 View Post
I live in Georgia, and we have a Stand Your Ground law. As a woman, if I came home and found someone in my house, I can legally remove him by whatever means is necessary, because I can claim I felt my life was in danger.

I really feel sorry for people in states like California that protects the squatters. I would go batchit crazy over something like this.
California doesn't protect squatters. You are free to remove someone however you want. But if the person is simply sitting in your house and he's not doing anything to endanger you and you kill him. That's called murder. Even in Georgia.

Old 03-13-2024, 10:51 AM

19,194 posts, read 16,675,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Dateline Fremont, California. Five years ago I had to evict our so-called renters who wouldn't pay the rent and wouldn't leave, after we repeatedly put up notices nailed to the garage door. The police came on the day the renters were supposed to vacate. Two cops, one cop car. Safety in numbers, thank goodness.

Hilariously, the woman of the house came out wearing a cocktail dress and heels.
You were very fortunate that you had a rental agreement and had the law on your side, fluffy. It's a big fat headache to get those renters out but when someone just moves into a house without a legal agreement, it becomes a civil matter and police won't touch it.

Squatters can be very clever. They can manufacture a fake lease agreement, forge signatures and when LE shows up at their door, they whip that out and show it to the officer(s). Officers don't know for certain if the document is fake or real which is why they won't get involved. That's what happened with the subjects in the OP's video. Flash's mom owned the house so he had her permission to do what he could to remove them. Good thing the squatter wasn't the sharpest knife in the drawer and didn't resort to violence. Some of those legal evictions don't end so well.

One I remember well was a case where the locksmith and deputy showed up at the tenant's door with eviction papers but the guy inside was armed with an arsenal of weapons. When the officer knocked on the door, the guy opened fired, shooting and killing both the locksmith and the deputy. Knowing it wouldn't end well for the guy inside, he then held officers at bay for hours until he finally decided to end it. He set fire to the inside of the home then put a bullet in his head. The guy was mentally disturbed and while that's not how all tenants are, it's something that does happen.

In light of the recent increase of people who can't obtain housing they can afford, a lot of them will find an empty home and take possession of it. And when they do, it makes it difficult to get them out.

This has brought up the old adverse possession law that exists in all states. What surprises me is that the years differ. California's adverse possession law is five years. Other states are seven, ten, and a couple of them are 20 years. If interested in knowing how many years it takes for adverse possession, check this out. https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclope...ossession.html

I think CA needs to amend those years and, at the very least, bump it to ten years. Five years is nothing. 60 months. Some people finance a car for that length of time. And unless a property owner isn't diligent about regularly checking on a vacant property they own elsewhere, they could end up losing that property to a squatter.

Good for you that you weren't faced with a squatter and had the law on your side. It's also good that the tenant wasn't mentally disturbed and none of those officers were injured or worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California