Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2024, 04:16 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieber View Post
I don't think the percentage difference is a very meaningful statistic in this context, TBH. If the national unemployment rate were 1 percent, and California's were 2 percent, then ours would be double! Yet the stats would be phenomenal. But if the national average were 6 percent, and California's were 7 percent, then ours would only be 16.6 percent higher, yet the statistics would be terrible. In each case, I think what matters is that one extra person out of every 100 residents would be experiencing unemployment in CA, not what percentage that corresponds to.

I'm very curious what contributes the most to our higher unemployment rate, though, as there are second world countries with lower unemployment.
The point was it’s significantly higher than the national average.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2024, 04:45 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
They don’t employ their own delivery drivers…..
But there are Pizza stores that continue to hire their own drivers i.e Totinos, Dominos, Pizza Hut, California Pizza Kitchen.

Old 01-01-2024, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
1100 more from Pizza Hut. (This is just the tip of the iceberg.)

Wait until there's blood in the streets.

I figure the first to lose their homes, are going to be the "ARM" crowd....
The loss of Pizza Hut delivery drivers will not likely result in "blood in the streets"

Old 01-01-2024, 05:59 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
But there are Pizza stores that continue to hire their own drivers i.e Totinos, Dominos, Pizza Hut, California Pizza Kitchen.
You think Dominos is any better than Pizza Hut? Most big national chains are pretty terrible and not that much different. It's barely been a week since their announcement, as I already said I wouldn't be surprised if you see more of these types of layoffs especially if people pull back due to higher prices. The article was about Pizza Hut btw and if it was really about their pizza quality they'd be closing restaurants.

Totinos is frozen pizza, I've never seen or heard of a restaurant.

Old 01-01-2024, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
You think Dominos is any better than Pizza Hut? Most big national chains are pretty terrible and not that much different. It's barely been a week since their announcement, as I already said I wouldn't be surprised if you see more of these types of layoffs especially if people pull back due to higher prices. The article was about Pizza Hut btw and if it was really about their pizza quality they'd be closing restaurants.

Totinos is frozen pizza, I've never seen or heard of a restaurant.
My bad it's Tottinos, a chain in Southern California. Yes, personally I think that Pizza Hut sucks more than Domino's. However, I avoid eating either.

Old 01-01-2024, 07:56 PM

10,306 posts, read 6,842,111 times
Quote:

I'm very curious what contributes the most to our higher unemployment rate, though,
Regulation
Regulation
Regulation

Old 01-02-2024, 10:28 AM

3,472 posts, read 5,263,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Regulation
Regulation
Regulation
I think to understand it better, we would probably need to do a deep dive into which industry is are the most affected by what regulations, and which industries make up the economic mix between states with higher and lower unemployment rates. We could also argue taxes taxes taxes, but it's all very hard to say because there have been so many other factors that have affected different industries since the pandemic. I'm sure it's a very complex answer in reality, even though we like to simplify things

Old 01-02-2024, 09:00 PM

10,306 posts, read 6,842,111 times
Quote:
I think to understand it better, we would probably need to do a deep dive into which industry is are the most affected by what regulations, and which industries make up the economic mix between states with higher and lower unemployment rates. We could also argue taxes taxes taxes, but it's all very hard to say because there have been so many other factors that have affected different industries since the pandemic. I'm sure it's a very complex answer in reality, even though we like to simplify things
Oh, that could make for the "Thread from Hell!"

I tried to keep it simple, on purpose.

I can tell you this, the most regulated industry is the nuclear power generation industry.

In a close, 2nd place, we have the petroleum industry. (This one, I'm a bit familiar with.)

Can't speak to the rest of them.

Old 01-05-2024, 08:16 PM

6,741 posts, read 6,730,607 times
LA has the highest unemployment rate of any top 30 metro in the country. This is a serious issue with the state also having one of the worst per capita budget deficits in the country. Combined with lower capital gains receipts, total personal income tax receipts have been falling.

https://www.bls.gov/web/metro/laummtrk.htm
https://calmatters.org/economy/2023/...-deficit-2023/

Old 01-16-2024, 01:09 AM

1 posts, read 363 times
This is too bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California