Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2023, 01:12 PM

8,937 posts, read 20,360,557 times

Advertisements

Don't know if this references Northern, Central or Southern, but here in Henderson, NV, there sure is a lot of California license plates. Living/working here, not visiting. Due to the amount of time it takes to get an appointment at local DMV for new/Nevada plates, I wouldn't doubt it. And, I keep reading Internet articles about where California people are moving to and Henderson and Vegas are definitely in the mixture, as is Colorado, Utah and Texas.

Thoughts/Comments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2023, 01:44 PM

3,149 posts, read 2,695,105 times
The people I know who have moved to/from California follow a pattern: Lower-income and/or larger families move out. Higher-income and/or smaller families move in.

I know of two single-income families who moved from California to the midwest. They bought land in the exurbs, built big stick-frame houses, and maintain big green grassy lawns. I think they had 4 or 5 kids each. I think one family had a dentist, and the other had a coach as the income earner.

I know of a double-income family that moved from upstate New York to CA. They have 2 kids and both parents are doctors, though one works very limited hours because they don’t really need the money.

I know another family who moved from somewhere in the midwest to California. They are also dual-income but they work remotely. They have 2 kids.

Two highschool friends of mine from the Midwest are now living in California. One in San Francisco itself and the other just East of the Bay Area. They also have high incomes and small families.

Most of the people I see house-shopping are older and look very well-heeled. You have to be since the prices of the homes are usually above 1.5 million. It might be just my area, but it seems like in the wealthier parts of Coastal California, the trend seems to be wealthy retirees or near-retirees moving in to enjoy the weather and blue-to-white collar moving out either to make their limited money go farther, or to cash out on skyrocketing home values.
…
Of course, there are exceptions. I know an older couple with no kids who are very wealthy that left. They moved from California to Hawaii.

I also know of another single-ish income family with 3 kids who moved from Texas to California. They are getting by fine, but are by no means wealthy.

Old 11-21-2023, 01:53 PM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyBoomers2 View Post
Don't know if this references Northern, Central or Southern, but here in Henderson, NV, there sure is a lot of California license plates. Living/working here, not visiting. Due to the amount of time it takes to get an appointment at local DMV for new/Nevada plates, I wouldn't doubt it. And, I keep reading Internet articles about where California people are moving to and Henderson and Vegas are definitely in the mixture, as is Colorado, Utah and Texas.

Thoughts/Comments?
There are several threads on this already.

Old 11-21-2023, 02:09 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,447,326 times
Quote:
...but here in Henderson, NV, there sure is a lot of California license plates. Living/working here, not visiting. Due to the amount of time it takes to get an appointment at local DMV for new/Nevada plates, I wouldn't doubt it....

Quote:
Thoughts/Comments?

Yes.
Look up specious reasoning.

Do we really need another 'exodus' themed thread? The pointless ones that are just copy and pasted lists and rankings are bad enough.

Old 11-21-2023, 02:44 PM

8,937 posts, read 20,360,557 times
Ok, what about all of the cities/towns that complain about how former California people are changing things? We've heard it here and we heard it in Loveland, Colorado. However, most of those that complain are old/older seniors aka long-time residents.

Old 11-21-2023, 02:50 PM

612 posts, read 351,298 times
Yes Nevada is one of the fastest growing states and California is one of the few losing population

Old 11-21-2023, 04:57 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
Quote:
Ok, what about all of the cities/towns that complain about how former California people are changing things? We've heard it here and we heard it in Loveland, Colorado. However, most of those that complain are old/older seniors aka long-time residents.
You'll have to be more specific about what "California people changing things" means.

If you're talking about politics/culture, the people who are leaving California for political or cultural reasons are mostly on the conservative side.

If you're talking about inflated housing prices, that's on the people in those other towns who are selling. But if you were selling a house, wouldn't you want it to go to the highest bidder?

If you just think there are now too many people in your town, well, join the club.

Anyway, lots of people may be leaving California, but I certainly am not seeing a lot of empty houses or a big decrease in traffic around here.

Old 11-22-2023, 06:31 AM

26,715 posts, read 26,776,017 times
More than 100,000 Californians moved to Texas last year, compared with around 40,000 who made the opposite move. Florida drew nearly 75,000 people from California, with 30,000 moving in the opposite direction. Washington, Nevada and Florida each saw around 50,000 Californian arrivals and far fewer people move to California.

Droves of Californians are moving to Texas. Here’s the life they are finding:
https://www.latimes.com/california/s...ny-camaraderie

Old 11-22-2023, 06:43 AM

24,470 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
And what do you base the age/length of residency statement on?

Old 11-22-2023, 06:45 AM

10,289 posts, read 6,813,150 times
Quote:

Thoughts/Comments?
If 817,000 is defines as "lots," then "lots" is accurate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California