Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2023, 06:52 PM

21,727 posts, read 16,331,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustin183 View Post
Not all human engineering... but certainly some. More so in heavily forested states where they cut down these native forests to put up another Walmart. Happening all over the midwest.

Ideally, at this point in humanity, we should be smarter and take a holistic view of the country's geography and grow the population where it would have the least harm on nature. Look at a map of the US but remove the state lines and just focus on the geology and geography.

The midwest and south and northwest are very green (forested) and the middle and south/southwest is much less so due to less rainfall. Ideally humanity would grow where we have to cull the least forest area. Trees help us keep the atmospheric gases in good balance, so let's stop chopping them down to build walmarts.
Why grow humanity at all? What is the obsession with perpetual growth?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2023, 07:25 PM

509 posts, read 780,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Why grow humanity at all? What is the obsession with perpetual growth?
Fair point. I don't claim to know the answer as to the optimal growth rate.

Maybe it's zero.

But I'm just saying that if we are to grow, I just wish we would take a different approach, which isn't going to happen, not for a while.

For ex, look even broader, at the whole globe. We should not grow where there is high bio diversity; eg the rain forests. Don't cut down the rain forests. Better to build in the plains because you cause less bio diversity damage.

Probably in the long long run we will grow by expanding into the universe; first by having bases on rock planets and moons. That will take some pressure off earth.

But some societies need growth because they are aging and the young provide tax revenues for the pensions and social security of the old. We'll see how it pans out as places like Japan and Italy have to deal with this in the coming decades as their birthrate is very low.

Old 04-18-2023, 06:13 AM
SFX

1,635 posts, read 890,055 times
Great thread on Twitter, with photos and links to scientific data and visualizations and so much more.

https://twitter.com/Sorenenelson/sta...016318977?s=20

A clear view of current flooded areas.

https://twitter.com/djacksonwater/st...635749376?s=20

Not sure about the image below

It doesn't match anything I can see on sat images or photos.

But the hard data definitely isn't impeachable.

My rough estimates say over 200 square miles under water so far!

With the predictions from the meltwater, and the fact they can't stop it from ending up in the lakebed, it could be a thousand square miles when the snow melts.

One article says it could be there for two years, they simply don't know.

Old 04-18-2023, 08:11 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,071,084 times
Those are awesome pictures and they really show the magnitude of it.
Thank you for that.

I can see that getting really interesting in mosquito season.
Just you wait, some brainiac is going to recommend spraying pesticides .

Old 04-18-2023, 09:33 AM

19,201 posts, read 16,679,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
Those are awesome pictures and they really show the magnitude of it.
Thank you for that.

I can see that getting really interesting in mosquito season.
Just you wait, some brainiac is going to recommend spraying pesticides .
I agree about the photos. Excellent Oh, please. Don't even hint at spraying pesticides. Were you here during the era when planes flew over the state, spraying for fruit flies? They told people to stay indoors and park their car in the garage (if they could). That solution covered everything (and anyone who was outside). Think of it happening today with all the homeless on the streets.

Old 04-18-2023, 11:50 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,071,084 times
Yes I was here.
I remember the freaking medfly and all the poisons landing on us that poisoned us.

Don’t worry though Mars it’s just like a mandatory experimental vaccination.
I mean the government wouldn’t lead us down the wrong path.
Would they?

Old 04-18-2023, 01:44 PM
SFX

https://youtu.be/VxCbjEoJxj0

Nice video, with a link to a longer one about how they drained the lake. I found it while checking the Twitter thread.

The weir that prevents the two other big lakes (that are also gone), Buena-Vista lake and Kern lake, is in danger of failing. The Kern river is so full they can't take water fast enough down the canals.

In complete irony, considering the permanent drought, theCentral Valley has "too much" water. Since the southern valley does not drain to the ocean, but instead historically had huge lakes and wetlands, there is no system set up to get save, divert or dump water into the ocean there.

Interesting video.

Old 04-19-2023, 04:57 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,496,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFX View Post
Not sure about the image below

It doesn't match anything I can see on sat images or photos.
This most definitely is not an aerial of Tulare Lake, or Lake Tahoe or the Salton Sea for that matter. But thanks for sharing the first link; it's nice to see a current image showing the main extent of the flooding.

Old 04-20-2023, 06:13 AM

1,910 posts, read 736,911 times
In the agricultural regions of Australia, when they have a severe multi-year drought, followed by a season of very high precipitation, they get Plagues of mice. Seriously. Field mice multiply to ridiculous population numbers. Their behavior changes and they get into anything that has food. You can't keep them out of your house and they become fearless in their numbers. Look it up.

The Aztecs were wiped out by a plague of mice in the late 1500s, several generations after European diseases felled their ancestors. These mice were carrying Hanta virus and they got into the Aztec corn stores.

It has also happened in California's central valley before. I think the last time was a century ago. These are the exact conditions that precede one.

Last edited by Reggiezz; 04-20-2023 at 06:22 AM..

Old 04-20-2023, 07:38 AM
SFX

Quote:
The water has washed away farm infrastructure, drowned crops, and killed livestock, but it may have also wiped out any resurgence of a mouse plague. It has been just over a year since numbers of the pesky rodent started waning, and the widespread flooding of 2022 appears to have stopped them in their tracks.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-01-...-nsw/101853960
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California