Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2023, 11:41 AM

1,254 posts, read 1,054,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
I think for free rent I could put up with some things.
^^^That part^^^

She doesn't realize how lucky she actually is, which is typical for Gen Z.

I huffed it down to Cal State Northridge every day from Palmdale -- down the hill and back up the hill in traffic -- every day for two years, while paying full rent in the 1990s.

The worst part? Looking for parking when I got to CSUN!

It was horrendous, but I did it and got the degree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2023, 03:37 PM

1,070 posts, read 788,650 times
My wife attended Fresno State back in the early 2000s. The crime rate was considerably worse back then, but even so it wasn't a problem on/around campus.

Like other Central Valley cities, Fresno has a lot of urban sprawl. Huge congested arterial roads, strip malls, chain restaurants, etc. It's not quaint or particularly interesting.

Fresno is also very affordable, which is another way of saying less affluent. I suspect this is the real reason for its bad reputation. Classism is alive and well in the US.

That said, Fresno State is a fine school. As with most things in life, students largely get out in proportion to the effort they put into their studies. This isn't a long-term relocation. Your step-sister's daughter would live in Fresno for just three short years. Living mostly rent free means graduating with little to no student loan debt, which means a way better standard of living throughout her adult life. And living in a boring city is also a benefit since she'll have more time to focus on her education.

Old 03-22-2023, 03:46 PM

2,914 posts, read 2,005,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnythingOutdoors View Post
My wife attended Fresno State back in the early 2000s. The crime rate was considerably worse back then, but even so it wasn't a problem on/around campus.

Like other Central Valley cities, Fresno has a lot of urban sprawl. Huge congested arterial roads, strip malls, chain restaurants, etc. It's not quaint or particularly interesting.

Fresno is also very affordable, which is another way of saying less affluent. I suspect this is the real reason for its bad reputation. Classism is alive and well in the US.

That said, Fresno State is a fine school. As with most things in life, students largely get out in proportion to the effort they put into their studies. This isn't a long-term relocation. Your step-sister's daughter would live in Fresno for just three short years. Living mostly rent free means graduating with little to no student loan debt, which means a way better standard of living throughout her adult life. And living in a boring city is also a benefit since she'll have more time to focus on her education.

Well said. People see brown people and turn their noses up. Similar dynamic on the coast exists as well(Monterey, santa Barbara county, etc)

Further, Fresno has lots of empty lots throughout the city but the city is plugging them up with development. Fresno will be still sprawly, but more dense as time goes on. Maybe itll even surpass Sacramento in density( hi , chim) soon.

But no need for more serious replies here because this is a troll thread by chim. Let it die so chim doesnt get what she/he wants.

Old 03-22-2023, 04:47 PM

6,904 posts, read 8,271,145 times
Quote:

Thanks for the input, I pretty much told her the exact same thing! But, she still "don't" want to live in fresno.

and this girl is smart, young and beautiful, and since someone brought up skin color, her daddy is half white half Mexican and her mom is a beautiful Chinese/Filipino mix. She gets lots of positive attention, she's doing really well right now and she will be fine whatever she ends up doing. I'll share these posts with her.

Old 03-22-2023, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
Thanks for the input, I pretty much told her the exact same thing! But, she still "don't" want to live in fresno.

and this girl is smart, young and beautiful, and since someone brought up skin color, her daddy is half white half Mexican and her mom is a beautiful Chinese/Filipino mix. She gets lots of positive attention, she's doing really well right now and she will be fine whatever she ends up doing. I'll share these posts with her.
My wife (we were dating at the time) did 18 units per semester and graduated early. I married her in part because she's a smart lady and has good money sense. We both kept college expenses low by attending Community College, followed by in-state schools while keeping living expenses low. And we both retired in our late 30s. Graduating debt free was a major factor in achieving financial independence. Eschewing the "traditional" expensive college experience has advantages

Old 03-22-2023, 07:20 PM

6,504 posts, read 7,533,875 times
Affordable new housing (compared to other CA cities) and proximity to Yosemite and Sequoia National Parks are the best things Fresno has going for it. Imagine any other city skyline with that back drop.

Old 03-22-2023, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
Affordable new housing (compared to other CA cities) and proximity to Yosemite and Sequoia National Parks are the best things Fresno has going for it. Imagine any other city skyline with that back drop.
Great photo! It's just too bad that downtown isn't redeveloped / nicer for walking and shopping. Agree, access to the National Parks is great.

Salt Lake City comes to mind as being comparable, but with closer mountains.

Old 03-22-2023, 09:15 PM

1,706 posts, read 1,151,890 times
Quote:

^^^^^ So much this.

I enjoyed Fresno but I won't lie, for someone not used to grit or poverty, Fresno can be a hard place to reside.

Old 03-22-2023, 10:09 PM

6,504 posts, read 7,533,875 times
Quote:
Agree, access to the National Parks is great.
Also, unlike Salt Lake City which is somewhat isolated, big city fun is only 3 hours away from Fresno to the South in LA and to the Northwest in San Francisco and a 6 hour drive to Las Vegas. Pismo Beach is even closer at 2.5 hours. Living rent free for a few years, I am sure this niece will be able to afford a few long 3 day weekends in the big city or at the beach. Despite Fresno's short-comings, it is actually located within a close enough drive to lots of cool places which in my opinion can make it better than other "desirable" cities of similar size in middle America.

My aunt lives in Fresno and I visit her from time to time. Her neighborhood is clean, safe and about 4-5 years old. She is just West of Sunnyside and her neighborhood is mostly Hispanic and Punjabi Indian people. I am very happy for her that she bought a new home for her family, something she would have never been able to do here in San Diego or LA.

Fresno is a decent place, it's what you make of it.

Old 03-22-2023, 10:29 PM

6,797 posts, read 4,240,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post

It's kind of photographic trickery though. That was taken from a highway overpass, most likely Roeding Dr looking down on CA-180 ahead of its interchange with CA-99. If you stood on that overpass you almost certainly wouldn't see the mountains most days with your bare eyes. They use special techniques to capture those images. And I suspect there aren't many spots in the Fresno area where you would be able to see the mountains at street level. Too far away. It's a good 80 miles to the Sierras.

In L.A. you can actually see the mountains from a lot of spots because the mountains are more like 10-15 miles away, but of course a shot like this is still idealized and not what you'd actually see on a daily basis:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California