Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 08:35 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,698,756 times

Advertisements

"What recession? It's boom time again in Silicon Valley
Investors pile into Internet IPOs and start-ups, making overnight millionaires. House prices and salaries soar. Another dot-com bubble? Maybe, but with differences."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2011, 08:38 AM

4,327 posts, read 6,297,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
"What recession? It's boom time again in Silicon Valley
Investors pile into Internet IPOs and start-ups, making overnight millionaires. House prices and salaries soar. Another dot-com bubble? Maybe, but with differences."
Seems to be very isolated to here in the Silicon Valley right now.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:40 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,888,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
Seems to be very isolated to here in the Silicon Valley right now.
yes, and my understanding is: they are mostly foreign investers who are taking advantage of the downturn in the economy, especially in Cal.

Nita

Old 07-19-2011, 09:58 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,751,509 times
You sneaky little troller you. Good try though.

Old 07-19-2011, 10:14 AM

4,327 posts, read 6,297,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
yes, and my understanding is: they are mostly foreign investers who are taking advantage of the downturn in the economy, especially in Cal.

Nita
I don't know about "mostly". Lots of IPOs make people very flush with cash as well.

Old 07-19-2011, 11:17 AM

474 posts, read 906,313 times
I guess the 11.7% of people in California that are unemployed won't be impressed by IPOs in Silicon Valley. I bet they still think there is a recession in place.

I agree that it is in general good for the valley and California in general. I only hope that it doesn't get out of hand resulting in a resounding thud when stock prices crater in the IPO companies.

Home Prices Exploding in Silicon Valley Amid More Millionaires - Bloomberg

Old 07-19-2011, 09:50 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,280,978 times
BBC News - Apple makes record profit as iPhone and iPad sales leap

Apple sold more than 20 million iPhones in the quarter and 9.25 million iPads.

Yeah, ok. Recession my you know what. Personally, I believe this recession has been very much over done, in order for people to get away defaulting on home loans, credit card debt, etc. Like I've said before, anywhere I go on at night for dinner, there is LONG waiting lines. Restaurants sure as hell haven't been suffering around here. American's are still the fattest in the world and someone, sure as heck are still buying iphones and ipads. They are getting this money from somewhere.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:55 PM

1,361 posts, read 3,717,599 times
The title of this thread sounds like something that would come out of the mouth of a proudly ignorant face-tattooed MTV rapper who lives to wear gaudy Chucky Cheese ticket prize-esque jewelry and "make it rain" in tha clubs.

I think we all know this is a troll thread. Most of the top highest unemployment cities are in California. Not to mention eight of the top ten highest car theft cities/metros are in CA. CA cities also make up nearly half of Forbes 20 most miserable cities list as well. And many CA cities consistently rank in the top ten most dangerous cities list as well (Oakland, Richmond and Compton are always on the list outpacing scary bombed out forgotten cities like Baltimore and New Orleans):

The 20 Most Unemployed Cities In America

The 20 Worst Cities for Stolen Cars - Yahoo! Autos

America's Most Miserable Cities - Forbes.com

Most Dangerous Cities in America (Photos)-- WalletPop

Old 07-19-2011, 10:31 PM

5,113 posts, read 5,979,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenchild08 View Post
The title of this thread sounds like something that would come out of the mouth of a proudly ignorant face-tattooed MTV rapper who lives to wear gaudy Chucky Cheese ticket prize-esque jewelry and "make it rain" in tha clubs.

I think we all know this is a troll thread. Most of the top highest unemployment cities are in California. Not to mention eight of the top ten highest car theft cities/metros are in CA. CA cities also make up nearly half of Forbes 20 most miserable cities list as well. And many CA cities consistently rank in the top ten most dangerous cities list as well (Oakland, Richmond and Compton are always on the list outpacing scary bombed out forgotten cities like Baltimore and New Orleans):

The 20 Most Unemployed Cities In America

The 20 Worst Cities for Stolen Cars - Yahoo! Autos

America's Most Miserable Cities - Forbes.com

Most Dangerous Cities in America (Photos)-- WalletPop
Yep, definitely a Troll post just looking to stir the pot ...

Many on here just don't or can't see reality ...

The US just completed the second round of quantitative easing, the last ditch effort, and nothing to show for it except propping up the economy just a little longer. This is why the signs of the pending collapse have been less obvious to some. All that stimulus, the trillions of dollars spent, and we still go down in flames. I have said it before ... people better be prepared because its time to pay the piper.

Old 07-19-2011, 10:47 PM

8,220 posts, read 16,727,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenchild08 View Post

I think we all know this is a troll thread. Most of the top highest unemployment cities are in California. Not to mention eight of the top ten highest car theft cities/metros are in CA. CA cities also make up nearly half of Forbes 20 most miserable cities list as well. And many CA cities consistently rank in the top ten most dangerous cities list as well (Oakland, Richmond and Compton are always on the list outpacing scary bombed out forgotten cities like Baltimore and New Orleans)
The thing with California is it represents the full gamut of American life, culture and economic highs and lows. We have everything from the most wealthy areas to the poorest. We have cities which are ghettos to the plush and posh and a lot more in between. CA simply has more ppl from every kind of background than any other state by sheer number and variety of cultural and socioeconomic backgrounds. And to some extent these are all effected by a National recession. Is it really that strange that some might recover a bit sooner than others?

To point out that cities like Merced, Stockton and many others areas we could easily name are considered miserable really is nothing new, ingenious, surprising or telling of anything. They are what they are and have been for a very long time. It doesn't take one long to drive to places much nicer in every regard within the state. Take El Centro for example. Well who ever says Gee, I can't wait to move to CA and live in El Centro. But drive west and before you know it you hit San Diego - a place where people flock to from around the world for many things including a better quality of life.

While I don't always agree with highnlight on everything, to call him a troll for pointing out some good news is incorrect. Meanwhile the doomsday croud is pumping out endless streams of negative c.r.a.p. posts simply to work themselves and others up into a frenzy. Doesn't that seem just a little ironic, like the pot calling the kettle black?

Will anything posted which is positive be ruled as a troll post now by all the CD doomers? We certainly know misery loves company. What if something good actually happens in CA? What would you say then? Would you scoff and talk about the first bad things that popped into your head? Its pretty obvious the answer is yes. Why not just leave now to those better cities in that amazing article like Fargo, North Dakota, Lawton, Oklahoma or Lawrence, Kansas if its truly that bad here? Or is it for you? Because if it is then maybe it is your time to go and thats ok.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 07-19-2011 at 11:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California