Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2022, 02:08 PM

8,715 posts, read 3,896,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Your point that, "the retailer is the frontline customer," makes no sense. Obviously, self-service is designed to reduce the number of check-out cashiers.
Self-checkout systems (and support) are sold (and marketed) to the retailer. Hence the advancements relative to (reducing) shrinkage, security and so on.

Quote:
Self-service grocery stores have been around since the first Piggly Wiggly stores, which opened in 1916.
I don’t know about you, but I’m speaking to self-checkout technology (per the thread).

Quote:
It doesn't matter that it is a $811.5B market in 2022.
It’s currently less than $4B USD; how did you come up with $811.5B? The pandemic is relative to even more growth than what was projected the past few years, but not that much.:-)

Quote:
I commented that some stores and other businesses don't put themselves in the shoes of the customer. They don't even realize the process is cumbersome. I've stopped using self-checkout at many stores except for Walmart and Lowe's.
I’m not here to tell you to do anything differently, lol. What I’m stating is per market research and analytics (which you claim businesses disregard), 60% of customers prefer self-checkout overall and over 80% believe they are faster/more convenient.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2022, 03:04 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,687,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
It’s currently less than $4B USD; how did you come up with $811.5B? The pandemic is relative to even more growth than what was projected the past few years, but not that much.:-)

I’m not here to tell you to do anything differently, lol. What I’m stating is per market research and analytics (which you claim businesses disregard), 60% of customers prefer self-checkout overall and over 80% believe they are faster/more convenient.
$811.5bn Supermarkets & Grocery Stores in the US Market Size in 2022
https://www.ibisworld.com/industry-s...united-states/

60% of customers prefer self-checkout overall and over 80% believe they are faster/more convenient, but that is not reflected in this thread or in my local grocery stores.

Old 08-19-2022, 03:16 PM

Quote:
$811.5bn Supermarkets & Grocery Stores in the US Market Size in 2022
https://www.ibisworld.com/industry-s...united-states/
That is supermarkets and grocery stores; again, I’ve been speaking to self-checkout systems/technology - per the thread.

Old 08-23-2022, 09:16 AM

2,539 posts, read 3,108,960 times
I dislike self-checkouts from a Labor standpoint.
I like them from a shoplifting standpoint. It’s almost too easy to come home with “volunteered” groceries.

Old 08-23-2022, 12:10 PM

11,277 posts, read 19,612,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenstyle View Post
I dislike self-checkouts from a Labor standpoint.
I like them from a shoplifting standpoint. It’s almost too easy to come home with “volunteered” groceries.

It really isn't an issue. Every store in town where I live has self check out stations. Every store in town also has "help wanted" signs out, many of them with crazy amount sign-on bonuses.

Old 08-23-2022, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenstyle View Post
I agree the false impression of anonymity does alter behavior; hence the new technological advancements I previously mentioned as well as security scales which will capture a photo and alert an employee when an item’s weight/code does not match or it’s not bagged or scanned. It’s actually easier to assess than shoplifting because it’s relative to specific software at the point of sale.

I suppose if someone can barely afford their groceries, I get it; but I don’t think it would be worth the effort/hassle for most, particularly if they’re swapping out tomatoes for apples or whatever, per the earlier post - as they weigh about the same. It seems a lot of thought goes into it for minimal gain i.e. think of what they might accomplish if their heads weren’t wrapped around petty nonsense.

Old 08-23-2022, 01:17 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,568,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Overall I don't mind self checkout but have a few complaints.

1. Multiple items have to be scanned separately. If I have 8 identical items I should be able to press a multiplier button, the number 8, then scan one of the items.

Just take one of the item you have 8 of and scan it 8 times. You don't have to scan each one separate.

Old 08-23-2022, 02:26 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,251,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
Just take one of the item you have 8 of and scan it 8 times. You don't have to scan each one separate.

Duh. It's still a lot more work than pushing one additional Quantity button, especially if the item is heavy like a 12-pk of soda.

Old 08-23-2022, 02:53 PM

11,277 posts, read 19,612,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Duh. It's still a lot more work than pushing one additional Quantity button, especially if the item is heavy like a 12-pk of soda.

If it's heavy, leave it in the cart and use the hand scanner. Usually attached at the side of the screen.

Also, since this issue is important to you, have you asked if there is an option to do it with the 8 x and scan once?

Old 08-30-2022, 12:06 PM

27,630 posts, read 28,732,432 times
I need to buy things quickly. I don't want to stand in a long line.

Hence, self check-out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business