Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2008, 02:44 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,115,902 times

Advertisements

Another reminder:

After Kite Runner, the group voted to read and discuss Suite Francaise.

Folks might consider tracking it down now and avoid additional delays in joining the discussion.

Just an idea!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2008, 06:13 PM

5,168 posts, read 11,436,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Another reminder:

After Kite Runner, the group voted to read and discuss Suite Francaise.

Folks might consider tracking it down now and avoid additional delays in joining the discussion.

Just an idea!
Hmmm, I read this book about 4 or 5 months ago (from the library), I guess I will try to read it again and refresh my memory... pretty sad huh? Not that I forgot what the book is about or the story, but I should refresh my memory at least.

PS, it was a quick read for me...

forum rules, please read them

Old 03-23-2008, 06:18 PM

I too read it over the summer, so about 8 months ago, and I can't remember much about it. It wasn't one of my picks, but a very worthy book to discuss.

And, btw, katzenfreund, I took copious notes on The Wall so I don't forget it for our discussion(s). It is a pity that none of Haushofer's other writing isn't translated into English.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
Hmmm, I read this book about 4 or 5 months ago (from the library), I guess I will try to read it again and refresh my memory... pretty sad huh? Not that I forgot what the book is about or the story, but I should refresh my memory at least.

PS, it was a quick read for me...

Old 03-23-2008, 07:10 PM

Yes, it is a pity none of her other books have been translated. I see there is a biography of her life available in German. Maybe I'll check that out, when I am over there in a month. I'd be interested to know more about her, sadly she died at only 49.

Old 03-23-2008, 09:39 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,133,429 times
I wonder if some of her other works might be translated. From all that I have read about her she was quite respected as an author in Austria. The Wall won a national literary prize, as did others of her works.

I would certainly be interested in reading The Attic and her poetry - anything that might be translated.

How ambitious are you, katzenfreund?

Old 03-23-2008, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemkeeper View Post
I wonder if some of her other works might be translated. From all that I have read about her she was quite respected as an author in Austria. The Wall won a national literary prize, as did others of her works.

I would certainly be interested in reading The Attic and her poetry - anything that might be translated.

How ambitious are you, katzenfreund?
LOL, I was thinking that, too . I looked her up on Wikipedia and it said that the Wall was the only one of her works that was translated into English. It does seem strange...

Old 03-24-2008, 06:26 AM

13,402 posts, read 28,721,568 times
Finished the Kite Runner Last week.
Suite Francaise should be delivered one day this week.
I can not lay my hands on a copy of The Wall

I forced myself yesterday to finish The Road...what a dreary depressing read, wasn't to fond of the writing style either

Old 03-24-2008, 09:07 AM

2,355 posts, read 2,182,280 times
Good morning fellow book lovers!

I got my hands on Suite Francaise this weekend and already it seems like an interesting read. Now I am juggling both this book and Pillars of the Earth.

OTR - did we set an exact date for our discussion re: Suite Franciase.

Old 03-24-2008, 09:11 AM

Good morning, Mrs. H,

We are discussing right now when to start the discussion on Suite Francaise. The two leaders, BlueWillowPlate and gemkeeper will suggest a time-table and we'll give everyone advance notice.

Enjoy the day. It looks splendid here now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. H View Post
Good morning fellow book lovers!

I got my hands on Suite Francaise this weekend and already it seems like an interesting read. Now I am juggling both this book and Pillars of the Earth.

OTR - did we set an exact date for our discussion re: Suite Franciase.

Old 03-24-2008, 09:40 AM

2,355 posts, read 2,182,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Good morning, Mrs. H,

We are discussing right now when to start the discussion on Suite Francaise. The two leaders, BlueWillowPlate and gemkeeper will suggest a time-table and we'll give everyone advance notice.

Enjoy the day. It looks splendid here now.
Thank you OTR. I look forward to hearing from them.

Here in Phoenix, the weather is definitely warming up. It was 70 degrees when I arrived at work and that was around 7:45 a.m.! The high should be in the 80s today. Have a wonderful day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books