Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2008, 07:18 AM

Location: Life here is not an Apollo Mission. Everyone calm down.
1,065 posts, read 4,539,706 times

Advertisements

The only book on the list that I CANNOT recommend is The Memory Keeper's Daughter - Kim Edwards. Really bad, painful fluff and never written in the perspective of the one person that mattered.

I'm in a book funk right now.

Brought two books to work with me and both are unreadable disappointments:

"Among Other Things, I've Taken Up Smoking" by Aoibheann Sweeney

and

"One Drop" by Bliss Broyard

I guess I don't like reading in the first person....like what they ate, leave out the diner burger and fries or travel time in fiction.

and "One Drop" I don't think the author knows her own underlying racism. No emotion or passion.

I want lyrical literature.....and am having a hard time finding anything worth my time lately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2008, 07:29 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,137,745 times
Thanks for dropping by, MainStreet. We really aren't asking for recommenations for the books, but rather it was a list of recommendations some folks wanted to read.

Perhaps you'd like to join us later on in the discussion of one of the three selected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MainStreet View Post
The only book on the list that I CANNOT recommend is The Memory Keeper's Daughter - Kim Edwards. Really bad, painful fluff and never written in the perspective of the one person that mattered.

I'm in a book funk right now.

Brought two books to work with me and both are unreadable disappointments:

"Among Other Things, I've Taken Up Smoking" by Aoibheann Sweeney

and

"One Drop" by Bliss Broyard

I guess I don't like reading in the first person....like what they ate, leave out the diner burger and fries or travel time in fiction.

and "One Drop" I don't think the author knows her own underlying racism. No emotion or passion.

I want lyrical literature.....and am having a hard time finding anything worth my time lately.

Old 01-06-2008, 11:02 AM

Perhaps I should have written that different. I'm asking for a recommendation from the list based on my dislike of one of the books on the list.

I didn't enjoy Memory Keeper's Daughter and was hoping (based on the list) someone who also wasn't over the moon about it, could recommend another list book.

Old 01-06-2008, 03:29 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,145,040 times
Smile Am thoroughly enjoying the tenor of "1000 Splendid Suns"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MainStreet View Post
Perhaps I should have written that different. I'm asking for a recommendation from the list based on my dislike of one of the books on the list.

I didn't enjoy Memory Keeper's Daughter and was hoping (based on the list) someone who also wasn't over the moon about it, could recommend another list book.
I just started A Thousand Splendid Suns, Mainstreet, and have read several chapters. I would highly recommend this book to someone who enjoys lyrical prose. It flows beautifully, draws you into the arena, and generates so much emotion for the main character.

I think you would enjoy it and it happens to be one of the three books chosen to read and discuss this month.

Let me know what you think. BTW, some websites such as Amazon, will acutally allow you to read excerpts, which will give you a good idea of the flow and rhythm of the book.

Old 01-07-2008, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemthornton View Post
I just started A Thousand Splendid Suns, Mainstreet, and have read several chapters. I would highly recommend this book to someone who enjoys lyrical prose. It flows beautifully, draws you into the arena, and generates so much emotion for the main character.

I think you would enjoy it and it happens to be one of the three books chosen to read and discuss this month.

Let me know what you think. BTW, some websites such as Amazon, will acutally allow you to read excerpts, which will give you a good idea of the flow and rhythm of the book.
I appreciate your response, I'm on a waiting list for that book at the library.

Old 01-07-2008, 03:13 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,137,745 times
Moved from the Book Club Thread.

Old 01-07-2008, 09:59 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,380,808 times
What kind of books do you like MainStreet? BTW, have you read Main Street?

Old 04-11-2021, 02:33 PM

61 posts, read 76,039 times
Default Pnw affliction

Anybody out there who loves and / or collects post apocalypse and dystopian fiction, here is an author for you to check out! His name is Chance Paladin, and he writes about preppers attempting to survive the cataclysms and post-apocalyptic earth changes in the Pacific Northwest (aka PNW AFFLICTION). As a prepper himself, his books are also meant to teach survival as well as entertaining people. When starting out on the idea of writing a book about the idea of the PNW Affliction, when he reached the end of the first book, he kept getting a flood of ideas coming in and just had to keep writing, so he has so far written a whole series of 20 books on this subject. He warns that when people get to the books numbered 16-18, there is some semi-adult content included, and Book 20 will be categorized as "very adult content," good to know for those enjoying the series but whose sensitivities might wish to know at what point they don't want to explore the subject further.

Chance Paladin's books are available on Amazon in paperback and Kindle format. The Series is entitled "PNW Affliction."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books