Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 04:54 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,315,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
No, but I believe it's a subject that's been tackled before.

I've read exactly one King novel (Cell), and I was so disgusted at the lack of coherence and character development that I swore I'd never read another, but this subject tempts me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlonaG View Post
This is the first time I've heard 'lack of character development' in describing Steve! If anything, this is what he does best and one of my favorite aspects of his incredible talent.
LOVED Cell by the way!

Just started 11/22/63 and already can't put it down.
Same here Ilona! I love how real King's characters become!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2011, 12:10 PM

1,483 posts, read 3,162,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Same here Ilona! I love how real King's characters become!
I believe that this is one of the reasons why a lot of the film/tv adaptations aren't anywhere near as good as the books. Somehow they're always lacking in that department and I find I don't care about the characters as much as I do in his books. Maybe the problem lies in the casting. I don't actually know.
I'm loving 11/22/63 and am already emotionally invested in the main character.

Old 12-20-2011, 06:57 PM

105 posts, read 188,178 times
After "Under the Dome" I swore I was done with King. He was still fixated on his accident, Bush bashing and Republican hating. He went way too long with the book and it seemed at the end like he got bored and just wrapped it up to be done with it.

That being said, this sounds intriguing. Those of you that expect to be reading the book please keep us informed. If I see where enough of you are enjoying the book I would definitely check it out from Library. I don't by King's books anymore.

Old 12-21-2011, 12:55 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,330,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by St.LouieGal View Post
After "Under the Dome" I swore I was done with King. He was still fixated on his accident, Bush bashing and Republican hating. He went way too long with the book and it seemed at the end like he got bored and just wrapped it up to be done with it.

That being said, this sounds intriguing. Those of you that expect to be reading the book please keep us informed. If I see where enough of you are enjoying the book I would definitely check it out from Library. I don't by King's books anymore.
I hated Under the Dome too. Didn't finish it. Couldn't bring myself to finish it. I don't like any story that is driven by an author with an agenda, whether that is a right-wing or a left-wing agenda. People aren't the sum of their politics - life is much more complicated than that and a good writer or I should say, a writer writing a good book, empathizes to some extent with all his characters and lets them speak for themselves.

He's still fixated on his accident in this new book, but not so bad. One of his characters has something happen to him (not a car accident) which lands him in the hospital and it's clearly still based on King's own experience. And he goes on too long. But he went on too long in a lot of his pre-accident books too.

But I would still recommend it. His characters seem like real people not like cliches as in Under the Dome. His descriptions of life in the 50s and 60s are wonderful.

Check it out. I'd love to hear what you think.

Old 01-10-2012, 08:05 AM

730 posts, read 2,254,993 times
I am half way through 11/22/63 and am enjoying it. It is my 1st time to read Stephen King. I picked it up simply because the subject matter was of interest to me.

Old 01-19-2012, 08:53 AM

3,977 posts, read 7,695,020 times
I just finished this book, I thought it was good, entertaining. There was an incredible amount of detail throughout the book, but it did seem the ending was kind of rushed. I think the book could have been half as thick and still be good! The ending was a bit of a letdown.

Old 01-21-2012, 11:38 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,537,022 times
I am not a Stephen King fan but really enjoyed the book. Sometimes I think he is waaay too wordy and I just skimmed over some of those parts.

But - overall a good book I thought.

Old 01-21-2012, 11:25 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,886,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfangal View Post
I just finished this book, I thought it was good, entertaining. There was an incredible amount of detail throughout the book, but it did seem the ending was kind of rushed. I think the book could have been half as thick and still be good! The ending was a bit of a letdown.
As a lifelong Stephen King fan, I have yet to ever enjoy an ending to any of his books. For example "It"....come on-a giant spider?

Old 02-16-2012, 11:40 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,937,061 times
I am 56% done with this book (thank you Kindle for the accuracy) and am confused about something. If someone could answer this question without spoiling anything, that would be great...

Spoiler
Why did "George" see the name "Doris Dun..." on Sadie's job application when she was going to Reno? Did I miss something? Was it just a coincidence?

Please don't answer at all if answering involves revealing more of the story than I need to know right now.

Old 02-17-2012, 06:18 PM

8,816 posts, read 21,285,041 times
I think the book could have been half as thick and still be good! The ending was a bit of a letdown.

I just finiashed the book (I have to admit I did not read every page, though) ; it was such a large and heavy book to handle. The premise opens all sorts of intriguing ideas, though.
Wonder if it'll be a movie .

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books