Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 04:53 AM

1,837 posts, read 4,353,797 times

Advertisements

One of the problems is that a lot of folks can't get from one side of town to the other unless they get on the Interstate , or one of the major streets like Airline Hwy , Perkins Rd , etc. This adds to the already crowded roads .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2011, 07:21 AM
Caa

940 posts, read 2,489,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktulu7 View Post
Actually, I'm going to agree with our friend from Florida. I think drivers in Baton Rouge are quite nice and typically let you out of side streets. It's usually the folks in New Orleans that will run you over for changing lanes. I'm moving to San Antonio right now, and THAT place has some extremely stupid drivers, so BR's got nothing on them. Still, the scariest place I've driven on a freeway has got to be Memphis. I think folks in BR typically let people out because traffic's ALWAYS backed up here. If they don't let people out during rush hour, no one will ever get out, and tomorrow it could be the other person that is trying to get onto the freeway, soooo that's my theory on why people seem to typically let you out onto the road or into a lane. I have to deal with the lane-merging game every day on my commute. I'm sick of doing this, so I'm trying to move as closely as possible to my new office in San Antonio, 'cause it's a nightmare to do that there.

As far as litter, I can't freaking stand it. I wish there were an easier way to bust people for that!
love you! I agree!

Old 04-06-2011, 10:32 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,297,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhounit View Post
One of the problems is that a lot of folks can't get from one side of town to the other unless they get on the Interstate , or one of the major streets like Airline Hwy , Perkins Rd , etc. This adds to the already crowded roads .
That's the reason I think we need to upgrade Florida and Airline to near freeway standards.

Old 04-06-2011, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
That's the reason I think we need to upgrade Florida and Airline to near freeway standards.
Well , let me clarify . They don't how to get from one side of town to the other without getting on the Interstate , etc. They couldn't cut through on side streets to save their life .

Old 04-06-2011, 08:10 PM

494 posts, read 1,609,789 times
It's my belief that BR isn't ever going to seriously improve its traffic situation until we actually make a commitment to improve the public transport system, and I don't mean just buses. The main issue with BR is that you have to have a car to get anywhere on time, and until that is solved, we are stuck with our traffic problems in my view.

Old 04-07-2011, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southseeker View Post
It's my belief that BR isn't ever going to seriously improve its traffic situation until we actually make a commitment to improve the public transport system, and I don't mean just buses. The main issue with BR is that you have to have a car to get anywhere on time, and until that is solved, we are stuck with our traffic problems in my view.
I wouldn't hold your breath . The money isn't there , and I'm not sure a super duper public transportation system is the answer anyway . How many people do you know that would give up the freedom and independance of driving their own car , to ride a bus everywhere ? Not as many as you think . Especially in the younger demographic . This isn't New York or Chicago . The situation is different .

Old 04-07-2011, 11:54 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,297,887 times
Quote:
Well , let me clarify . They don't how to get from one side of town to the other without getting on the Interstate , etc. They couldn't cut through on side streets to save their life .
Many Baton Rouge residents use side streets like Perkins, College, Highland, Jefferson etc but it's still not enough, our infrastructure isn't up to par and the construction on widening I-10 and I-12 currently underway isn't going to fix anything. I would like a better city wide grid and extend all streets that end in odd fashion (Starring Ln, for example).
Quote:
Not many people will be willing to use PT in a city like ours. CATS is a failure and has been forever, everyone knows that and most people aren't used to any for of PT other than maybe an airport. I think any form of rail should only be tried in South Medical District or LSU-Downtown. Employees can ride it and feel safe and LSU students don't have to worry about DUIs anymore. But that's still a big if. The bus system needs to be privatized and re-routed with all new buses and bus shelters instead of bus stops. Tax payers aren't gonna give this the time of day.

Old 04-07-2011, 12:03 PM

494 posts, read 1,609,789 times
Quote:
I wouldn't hold your breath . The money isn't there , and I'm not sure a super duper public transportation system is the answer anyway . How many people do you know that would give up the freedom and independance of driving their own car , to ride a bus everywhere ? Not as many as you think . Especially in the younger demographic . This isn't New York or Chicago . The situation is different .
And that's really the issue. I don't expect the culture here to ever accept an improvement in public transportation as an option, nor be willing to accept the necessary tax increases and sacrifices to take on such a measure.

Old 04-08-2011, 08:03 AM

3,071 posts, read 3,223,691 times
Lake Charles!

The roads would be smoother if they were gravel(literally)
Drivers here can't drive for beans
The city has more potential than almost any city it's size, but yet our administration sits on their asses.

Old 04-08-2011, 09:27 AM

4,230 posts, read 10,483,747 times
Quote:
And that's really the issue. I don't expect the culture here to ever accept an improvement in public transportation as an option, nor be willing to accept the necessary tax increases and sacrifices to take on such a measure.
With that, as the city continues to grow and fill they'll continue to suffer from that mentality or hopefully they'll be some random shift in culture will take place. They can build highways and add lanes all day, but that really won't get them anywhere. More lanes invite more traffic and if/after the city reaches a certain point it might hurt development since one of the current trends is for business and developers to locate in areas that have access to transit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge