Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2023, 01:25 PM

26,229 posts, read 49,085,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Ricky Henderson chimed into on the rule changes, the end of the shift, the limit of two pickoff attempts and the slightly larger size of the bases that shortens the distance between bases by a few inches. He said: 'You gotta let these kids run’
Baltimore had 5 stolen bases in it's Opening Day 10-9 win over Boston.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2023, 01:48 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,241,142 times
It makes following a game on GameCast a lot better, too.

Old 04-02-2023, 09:43 AM

6,750 posts, read 6,744,776 times
Love the pitch clock, keeping me more interested than I have been in years.

Old 04-02-2023, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
Love the pitch clock, keeping me more interested than I have been in years.
Initially I was against it but I certainly don't miss the part of the game it removes. I haven't found myself saying "gee, I miss seeing the batter call for time and refasten his gloves and shuffle his feet and take practice swings between every pitch." Do they do that in batting practice? I think maybe some of these guys might hit better if they just get up there quickly and swing loose rather than go through a long ritual. Either way, these babies will just have to learn to promptly get on the mound and throw or get in the box and swing.

Old 04-02-2023, 11:57 AM

26,229 posts, read 49,085,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Initially I was against it but I certainly don't miss the part of the game it removes. I haven't found myself saying "gee, I miss seeing the batter call for time and refasten his gloves and shuffle his feet and take practice swings between every pitch." Do they do that in batting practice? I think maybe some of these guys might hit better if they just get up there quickly and swing loose rather than go through a long ritual. Either way, these babies will just have to learn to promptly get on the mound and throw or get in the box and swing.
Exactly. They shudda got their gloves affixed to their liking and their practice swings done while in the on-deck circle, not after every damned pitch. Remember Johnny Gomes, his disorder was to play with his helmet 4-8 times between every pitch. TV baseball was flat out unwatchable before the pitch clock. Funny thing is, the Savannah Bananas form of demonstration baseball has rules requiring the batter to stay put in the batter's box between pitches and the pitcher to promptly deliver pitches. And their games are limited to two hours, max.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 04-02-2023, 12:08 PM

381 posts, read 171,852 times
they all must've gotten new gloves that don't need constant adjusting, a miracle of technology!!!!

The only real concern of mine is will it be too easy to steal bases.

only 2 disengagements and the pitch clock means it must be easier to time a pitcher, plus the larger bases, also a lack of the shift might mean it's harder to cover the base.

over time they may have to do something, however, I've been saying for years that we need more action on the basepaths. I guess with the home run it wasn't worth the risk of having someone thrown out at 2nd.

I was and still am against banning the shift. To me, you're a Major Leaguer, work on your craft. I really think baseball ratings will be up and am overall happy about these changes, and was from the beginning.

Old 04-03-2023, 07:11 AM

12,393 posts, read 8,170,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Ricky Henderson chimed into on the rule changes, the end of the shift, the limit of two pickoff attempts and the slightly larger size of the bases that shortens the distance between bases by a few inches. He said: 'You gotta let these kids run’
Speaking of Henderson, while the average run decision may come more often when it comes down to the elite runners who will threaten records. So will larger bases be seen like more games for single season records for a generation or two of fans.

The anti shift rules I don't get because some left handers can't bat to the opposite field should be just a weakness of that player that the rules should not protect.

Old 04-03-2023, 09:28 AM

4,876 posts, read 6,939,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
Speaking of Henderson, while the average run decision may come more often when it comes down to the elite runners who will threaten records. So will larger bases be seen like more games for single season records for a generation or two of fans.

The anti shift rules I don't get because some left handers can't bat to the opposite field should be just a weakness of that player that the rules should not protect.
You're screwing up the game with the pitcher not being able to hold a runner on.

I'm in total agreement with your take on the anti-shift rule. My God, it's called strategy. It's this cat and mouse part of baseball that makes baseball fun. If the opposing manager thinks his analytics are so great on a hitter, let him put the shift on. This may create hitters that are capable of the old talent of bat control. There's nothing I enjoy more than having some hitter make the other manager look silly by bouncing a 30 mph ground ball down the 3rd base area for an easy double.

Old 04-03-2023, 01:54 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,610 posts, read 81,297,702 times
Apparently the pitch clock has provided significant reductions in game duration. That somehow seems to decrease the value of the ticket for the fans. If a game normally goes 3 hours and a decent ticket costs $70, then you are paying $23/hour. Now if the game lasts only 2-1/2 hours, you are paying $28.00 for that entertainment. So far the games have indeed averaged 36 minutes less with the new rules. It will also reduce revenue from concessions, not being there as long people won't buy as much food/drinks.

As for the "shift" rules, I don't agree with any team placement or batting order strategy being banned. That has always been a part of the game. If they want to see more scoring to make it more interesting for the fans what's next, lengthen the pitcher's mound distance, or shorten all of the fences? It's tampering with the traditions of a sport with a history well over 100 years.

Old 04-03-2023, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Apparently the pitch clock has provided significant reductions in game duration. That somehow seems to decrease the value of the ticket for the fans. If a game normally goes 3 hours and a decent ticket costs $70, then you are paying $23/hour. Now if the game lasts only 2-1/2 hours, you are paying $28.00 for that entertainment. So far the games have indeed averaged 36 minutes less with the new rules. It will also reduce revenue from concessions, not being there as long people won't buy as much food/drinks.
I think the concession purchases for most are limited by budget not time. And most people I know get their dogs and nachos in the first few innings. It will have some effect but if the game is 15% shorter I don't think concessions will be 15% less. Payroll and utility consumption will be less, too. I don't think the owners would have agreed to anything that would make significant cuts in their revenue nor do I think they overlooked it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball