Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2023, 10:52 AM

9,994 posts, read 5,698,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
I'm not on board with the shift prohibition at all. If a team wants to put all 7 position players in the infield or in the outfield or on the left or right side of second base, that's their business. For every benefit to defensive setup, there's a cost. I love watching a batter score a double because they bunted up the third base line on a shift.
Oh yeah, forgot to mention -- those times a baserunner stealing second or advancing to second on a shallow base hit keeps right on running to third because nobody's covering it due to a shift.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2023, 08:12 AM

68,333 posts, read 54,445,037 times
I'm not a fan of changes more concerned with TV packaging than the game itself, I always kinda liked the length of a game not being governed by a clock. I really don't like the bigger bases and putting a man on second in extra inning games. What next? Shorten the distance between bases to speed up the game even more?

Old 03-21-2023, 12:12 PM

45,607 posts, read 27,230,182 times
Baseball 2023... video at the tweet

Old habits die hard.

Willson Contreras adjusts his batting gloves after a foul ball and pays the price with an automatic third strike.

https://twitter.com/CodifyBaseball/s...15166972219392

Old 03-21-2023, 01:33 PM

4,876 posts, read 6,939,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Baseball 2023... video at the tweet

Old habits die hard.

Willson Contreras adjusts his batting gloves after a foul ball and pays the price with an automatic third strike.

https://twitter.com/CodifyBaseball/s...15166972219392
That's crap. MLB better get this figured out better before the season starts. Contreras didn't waste time adjusting his gloves at all.

Old 03-22-2023, 09:25 AM

5,296 posts, read 5,249,733 times
I hate the runner on 2nd to start extra innings...other than that, I like most of the new rules...
I always hated watching a pitcher throw multiple times over to first to hold a guy so I really like that rule...you get 2 chances to pick him off...if you fail to pick him off by the 3rd time, he gets rewarded an xtra base...so I like that.
The pitch clock is the best one
And banning the shift is a great one too...you'll see batting averages rise up now...and teams like my Guardians are strike out the fewest in the big leagues and put the ball in play will benefit greatly.

Old 03-22-2023, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
I hate the runner on 2nd to start extra innings...other than that, I like most of the new rules...
I always hated watching a pitcher throw multiple times over to first to hold a guy so I really like that rule...you get 2 chances to pick him off...if you fail to pick him off by the 3rd time, he gets rewarded an xtra base...so I like that.
The pitch clock is the best one
And banning the shift is a great one too...you'll see batting averages rise up now...and teams like my Guardians are strike out the fewest in the big leagues and put the ball in play will benefit greatly.
Or, they could just learn to hit to the opposite side of the field to punish a defensive shift.

Old 03-22-2023, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I'm not a fan of changes more concerned with TV packaging than the game itself, I always kinda liked the length of a game not being governed by a clock. I really don't like the bigger bases and putting a man on second in extra inning games. What next? Shorten the distance between bases to speed up the game even more?
Extra-innings base runner is dumb. I'd rather change the rule to allow non-playoff games to -- *gasp!* end in a tie after, say, 12 innings than this silliness.

I'm fine with the bigger bases as it has shown a reduction in infielder/baserunner injuries.

I used to agree with the idea of not letting a clock determine the pace of the game until games started routinely stretching out well past the three-hour mark. It's not just for TV packaging but that fans are losing patience with being asked to invest more and more of their time watching a game that already involves people mostly standing around. I foresee adjustments to the pitch clock rule details but I fundamentally support the idea of not letting the pitchers and batters stand around all damn day until they're good and ready to get going. They've abused that luxury to the detriment of the fan experience.

Old 03-22-2023, 12:00 PM

17,607 posts, read 15,298,210 times
A few.. updates to the pitch clock rules.

All seem.. Pretty straightforward and logical.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...ules-memo-says

Old 03-27-2023, 05:28 PM

26,228 posts, read 49,085,600 times
Ricky Henderson chimed into on the rule changes, the end of the shift, the limit of two pickoff attempts and the slightly larger size of the bases that shortens the distance between bases by a few inches. He said: 'You gotta let these kids run’
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 03-31-2023, 01:22 PM

26,228 posts, read 49,085,600 times
Yesterday was Opening Day with all 30 teams playing. Per the NY Times: "MLB’s 15 games on Opening Day averaged 2 hours and 45 minutes Thursday, 26 minutes shorter than last year’s average,..."

With the pitch clock, it was actually enjoyable to watch the Dodgers - Diamondbacks game from L.A. last night. The pace of the game is now such that I can sit and watch and not be bored out of my skull as I wrote about on here ten years ago in this posting.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball