Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2022, 09:12 PM

1,338 posts, read 2,023,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Well yes they clinched on Sept 10th that year, but the date itself is kind of irrelevant. The season started later this year I think. This year they clinched in the fewest games since coming to LA from Brooklyn, at least that's what I heard on the broadcast last night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2022, 08:51 AM

2,157 posts, read 1,442,340 times
I hope they can use a more reliable closer for the playoffs or fill the position by committee. Kimbrel is awfully unreliable in a position where reliability is most important. Doesn't seem there are too many viable options though, especially given the injuries.

Old 09-16-2022, 12:20 PM

30,141 posts, read 11,774,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticking View Post
I hope they can use a more reliable closer for the playoffs or fill the position by committee. Kimbrel is awfully unreliable in a position where reliability is most important. Doesn't seem there are too many viable options though, especially given the injuries.
Evan Phillips is listing as a closer on the Yahoo sports app. 55 innings and a 1.30 ERA this season. He has zero saves thus far. Jansen now in Atlanta has a nearly 4 ERA. Josh Hader who the Padres snagged has a 12 ERA so far with the Padres and 5.98 overall this season. Probably good we did not go that route.

Lets see what Phillips can do.

Old 09-23-2022, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Evan Phillips is listing as a closer on the Yahoo sports app. 55 innings and a 1.30 ERA this season. He has zero saves thus far. Jansen now in Atlanta has a nearly 4 ERA. Josh Hader who the Padres snagged has a 12 ERA so far with the Padres and 5.98 overall this season. Probably good we did not go that route.

Lets see what Phillips can do.
Looks like your man Phillips will get his shot. The way Kimbral is pitching he could get left off the squad altogether if they can get enough healthy bodies back. I read that Treinen may be done for the year. He would be a great bonus if healthy.

Old 09-24-2022, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Looks like your man Phillips will get his shot. The way Kimbral is pitching he could get left off the squad altogether if they can get enough healthy bodies back. I read that Treinen may be done for the year. He would be a great bonus if healthy.
I glad Roberts made that move. From what I read they are going to do it by committee. But Philips is pitching well. A 1.24 ERA is quite good. But pitching the 9th with a one run lead is pressure filled. We will see how he does. What is odd is he has only pitched 9 innings in 2 months. Only given up 1 run. I don't fet why he is not pitching much more than that.

Kimbral's post season ERA is 5.40 more than double his regular season ERA.

Old 09-25-2022, 11:02 AM

Quote:
I glad Roberts made that move. From what I read they are going to do it by committee. But Philips is pitching well. A 1.24 ERA is quite good. But pitching the 9th with a one run lead is pressure filled. We will see how he does. What is odd is he has only pitched 9 innings in 2 months. Only given up 1 run. I don't fet why he is not pitching much more than that.

Kimbral's post season ERA is 5.40 more than double his regular season ERA.
Now I read this morning that May is perhaps done for the season, or possibly compromised with lower back pain. That's about 10 Dodger pitchers on the DL, and several key ones. It is going to be VERY difficult to win with so many injuries to the staff. I'm hoping that some of the injuries are more an excuse to rest some players but I really don't think that is the case. Gonsolin, Treinen, and Buehler were key players...and May could have patched things up a little.

Old 09-27-2022, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Now I read this morning that May is perhaps done for the season, or possibly compromised with lower back pain. That's about 10 Dodger pitchers on the DL, and several key ones. It is going to be VERY difficult to win with so many injuries to the staff. I'm hoping that some of the injuries are more an excuse to rest some players but I really don't think that is the case. Gonsolin, Treinen, and Buehler were key players...and May could have patched things up a little.
Yahoo sports shows 7 pitchers out. They have Kershaw, Urias, Anderson and Heaney available as starters. Who all have excellent ERA's. Worst is 3.06. Is there any other team that can say that? Amazing with 3 very good starters out. 3 players who could easily have cy young years at some point. They can do a reliever game in the playoffs to take the pressure off. And Roberts hinted that Gonsolin could be back for the playoffs with 4 inning max work. May might come back as a reliever in the playoffs.

But at this point more injuries and it will be difficult for them. Hopefully they get a pitcher or two back.

Last edited by Oklazona Bound; 09-27-2022 at 08:17 PM..

Old 10-03-2022, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Yahoo sports shows 7 pitchers out. They have Kershaw, Urias, Anderson and Heaney available as starters. Who all have excellent ERA's. Worst is 3.06. Is there any other team that can say that? Amazing with 3 very good starters out. 3 players who could easily have cy young years at some point. They can do a reliever game in the playoffs to take the pressure off. And Roberts hinted that Gonsolin could be back for the playoffs with 4 inning max work. May might come back as a reliever in the playoffs.

But at this point more injuries and it will be difficult for them. Hopefully they get a pitcher or two back.
Well that was a good start by Anderson so that is good news. It seems some of the other teams are having a tough go of it right now. I'd give the Dodgers the edge especially if Gonsolin can come back like he has been all year. Demoting Kimbrel to mop up, if that is a plus.

As a group the sub .200 club membership at least has pop in their bats. If I recall correctly Bellinger has been clutch in the playoffs. They will be facing the very best of the pitchers from here on out.

Old 10-06-2022, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Well that was a good start by Anderson so that is good news. It seems some of the other teams are having a tough go of it right now. I'd give the Dodgers the edge especially if Gonsolin can come back like he has been all year. Demoting Kimbrel to mop up, if that is a plus.

As a group the sub .200 club membership at least has pop in their bats. If I recall correctly Bellinger has been clutch in the playoffs. They will be facing the very best of the pitchHondoliners from here on out.
Gonsolin helps a lot being back. And Mays should be back. Perhaps another closer with him. And the sub 200 guys got hot at the end. They will probably do a 4 man rotation.

Old 10-08-2022, 09:02 AM

33,323 posts, read 12,505,496 times
I didn't save the page after viewing, but I think it was yesterday morning (before any WC games), and I think it was ESPN, but they had 31 'experts' give their choices re (among other things) who will win the World Series. IIRC, 12 picked the Dodgers, 10 picked the Braves. 8 picked the Astros, and 1 picked the Yankees....all of the 'earned a bye from the WC round' teams/Division winners seeded #1 or #2 in their league/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball